Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Low Oxygen Conclusions?  (Read 32779 times)

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
Re: Low Oxygen Conclusions?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2016, 07:51:17 am »

Could you share the advise and what processes you used? Especially interested since you mentioned it took no additional time or effort.
These were the suggestions I received and what I did/will do:

I don't know if you have seen the site, but its www.lowoxygenbrewing.com, its details everything pretty good, but the simple version is this..

Pre-boil all brewing water, then once you start chilling to strike (sub 200F) add some crushed camden tabs, if you have any ascorbic acid, cut it 50/50. If you are a sparger the dosage will be a littler different, than if you don't.

Try and dough in gently, stir, but don't whip in air. Underlet, all transfers( or be as gentle as possible). Fashion some foil as a make shift mash/lauter/sparge cap.

Boil softly, target more of a simmer, with no more than 10% boil off and 1srm pickup.

Ferment cold 45-47F, NO RAMP, pitch roughly 2x more yeast as you normally would. transfer to keg with roughly 4 points remaining, if you have a spunding valve use it, if not you can adjust carbonation when you serve.

It's really as basic as preboil and dose camden, cover mash, boil soft, and naturally carb. Everything else is icing on the cake!
Any questions let me know!

I used crushed campden tablets (4 in 5 gallons of mash, 1 in 5 gallons of sparge). The website above ( www.lowoxygenbrewing.com ) is really good, really clear as far as laying out basic suggestions. I thought this interview was good/intesting interviewed on Fermentation Nation Podcast about LODO brewing http://fermentationnation.net/2016/1...th-bryan-rabe/

As I mentioned - I can only say that there were some distinct differences in the wort that came from this process.  Whether that translates in any way (good or bad) to the final beer is yet to be seen.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2016, 08:46:42 am »
As a low-barrier entry point, if you are curious about LoDO, I'd suggest maybe trying the mini-mash experiment outlined on lowoxygenbrewing.com. It's very simple to perform, takes little time and will give you a feel for what the differences might be to your brewing. I was pretty blown away by both the change in wort color and the taste of the wort. Night and day.

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 08:52:39 am »
I was pretty blown away by both the change in wort color and the taste of the wort. Night and day.

I agree with this too from my initial attempts.  I know "wort" is not "beer" - but, the impact of the relatively simple steps I used was easily detectable in the wort that came out of the process.

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 09:12:33 am »

Could you share the advise and what processes you used? Especially interested since you mentioned it took no additional time or effort.

I don't know if you have seen the site, but its www.lowoxygenbrewing.com, its details everything pretty good, but the simple version is this..

Pre-boil all brewing water, then once you start chilling to strike (sub 200F) add some crushed camden tabs, if you have any ascorbic acid, cut it 50/50. If you are a sparger the dosage will be a littler different, than if you don't.

Try and dough in gently, stir, but don't whip in air. Underlet, all transfers( or be as gentle as possible). Fashion some foil as a make shift mash/lauter/sparge cap.

Boil softly, target more of a simmer, with no more than 10% boil off and 1srm pickup.

Ferment cold 45-47F, NO RAMP, pitch roughly 2x more yeast as you normally would. transfer to keg with roughly 4 points remaining, if you have a spunding valve use it, if not you can adjust carbonation when you serve.

It's really as basic as preboil and dose camden, cover mash, boil soft, and naturally carb. Everything else is icing on the cake!

I used crushed campden tablets (4 in 5 gallons of mash, 1 in 5 gallons of sparge). The website above ( www.lowoxygenbrewing.com ) is really good, really clear as far as laying out basic suggestions. I thought this interview was good/intesting interviewed on Fermentation Nation Podcast about LODO brewing http://fermentationnation.net/2016/1...th-bryan-rabe/

As I mentioned - I can only say that there were some distinct differences in the wort that came from this process.  Whether that translates in any way (good or bad) to the final beer is yet to be seen.

Thank you Braufessor. You are right; these seem simple enough to put into place.

I have looked at the lowoxygenbrewing page and the other thing I don't think would be onerous is conditioning grains. Although I don't have a grain mill (yet), this seems simple enough.

Thanks again.
Ralph R.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2016, 09:23:03 am »
I'd consider grain conditioning a bit more advanced. Not absolutely necessary to see differences. If you can do it, great. If not, that's ok too. Do the steps you can and take good notes along the way.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2016, 09:26:17 am »
Water: "bring to a boil and hold for 5 minutes" -- I usually get my water ready to boil the night before, so this step would be simple enough. Can this step be done a few hours earlier than the brew, or would oxygen sneak back in during the dead of night?

Mash: "drain wort into kettle" -- sometimes I mash the night before, drain into the brew kettle, put the lid on and then turn the BK on as soon as I wake up. Would holding the wort overnight reintroduce oxygen?

SMB -- sodium metabisulfite -- to be clear, this is what's in Campden tablets, right?

I'm not the expert, but I don't think either of those practices is compatible with low oxygen brewing.

I believe some Campden tablets are SMB and some are potassium MB.  According to the original lodo paper, one campden tablet contains 440 mg of SMB.

Thanks. I think I must know a chemist or two to answer the first question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

The Beerery

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2016, 09:31:36 am »
Water: "bring to a boil and hold for 5 minutes" -- I usually get my water ready to boil the night before, so this step would be simple enough. Can this step be done a few hours earlier than the brew, or would oxygen sneak back in during the dead of night?

Mash: "drain wort into kettle" -- sometimes I mash the night before, drain into the brew kettle, put the lid on and then turn the BK on as soon as I wake up. Would holding the wort overnight reintroduce oxygen?

SMB -- sodium metabisulfite -- to be clear, this is what's in Campden tablets, right?

I'm not the expert, but I don't think either of those practices is compatible with low oxygen brewing.

I believe some Campden tablets are SMB and some are potassium MB.  According to the original lodo paper, one campden tablet contains 440 mg of SMB.

No, sorry these are not compatible with Low oxygen. The whole mantra is to get in and out as fast as you can with as little disturbance as possible. You will be fighting against Henry's law.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2016, 10:52:15 am »

No, sorry these are not compatible with Low oxygen. The whole mantra is to get in and out as fast as you can with as little disturbance as possible. You will be fighting against Henry's law.

I'll set aside the early mash question. Thanks for SMB info.

if I preboil 4 gallons of water in a 5- gallon SS kettle, what is the formula for how much o2 is reintroduced over time? If I know this, it should be a simple if casual (aka non-rigorous) home experiment, given other available data and equipment.  The null hypothesis would be that over x hours o2 is reintroduced at quantities below recommended thresholds.

K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

The Beerery

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 11:28:34 am »

I'll set aside the early mash question. Thanks for SMB info.

if I preboil 4 gallons of water in a 5- gallon SS kettle, what is the formula for how much o2 is reintroduced over time? If I know this, it should be a simple if casual (aka non-rigorous) home experiment, given other available data and equipment.  The null hypothesis would be that over x hours o2 is reintroduced at quantities below recommended thresholds.

Good question, I don't know the answer as it would depend on the diameter of the pot. In our tests we saw 1-2ppm per hour based on a variety of homebrew pots.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2016, 11:37:19 am »
I assume that was uncapped, and covered (not that the cover is going to do a lot for you unless it seals up). 

Along those line, if I deoxygenate with yeast then how long do you suppose I could leave it there before I start using it?  My guess would be that there is some comfort room in there since the yeast are still around.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

The Beerery

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2016, 11:41:33 am »
I assume that was uncapped, and covered (not that the cover is going to do a lot for you unless it seals up). 

Along those line, if I deoxygenate with yeast then how long do you suppose I could leave it there before I start using it?  My guess would be that there is some comfort room in there since the yeast are still around.

Yea thats correct.

~12hrs or so on the yeast method.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2016, 02:13:06 pm »

what kind of differences did you note? When I did the suggested mini mash, the difference was minimal and the LODO sample had kind of a raw dough note to it that was not particularly enjoyable.

The Beerery

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2016, 02:25:19 pm »

what kind of differences did you note? When I did the suggested mini mash, the difference was minimal and the LODO sample had kind of a raw dough note to it that was not particularly enjoyable.

Raw dough? Did you use Vienna and not pilsner? The reason I ask is because Vienna's "it" is raw pizza dough. Pilsner will not have dough. It should have the flavor of cereals, like frosted flakes, corn flakes or maltOmeal... This is also the reason I am not really a fan of Vienna anymore..

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2016, 02:38:39 pm »
pils and a small portion of c20 in place of carahell.

The Beerery

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2016, 02:46:13 pm »
pils and a small portion of c20 in place of carahell.

I would retry with pils and carahell. C20 is going to skew things, even carahell is only ~10srm. C10 would have been closer, but I am not a huge fan of Ameircan cara's.