Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Low Oxygen Conclusions?  (Read 32787 times)

Big Monk

Re: Low Oxygen Conclusions?
« Reply #180 on: January 15, 2017, 07:33:58 am »
Anyone try a lodo Vienna? I was thinking something like 95% Vienna, 5% Carared for a future batch.

No, but I am not a fan of large amounts of low oxygen vienna! Its like a giant pizza dough ball. I don't even understand where the vienna beer came from..I have never seen it mentioned in any recipes in the literature.

Maybe you need to expand your literature?

Hah, thank you for the laugh!  It was a joke though...A tongue in cheek joke about some style bastardization.

My understanding is that Vienna malt, in its primitive form, was used by Gabrel Sedlmeyer to brew the original lager.  And it appears like we have at least one instance where lodo won't improve your beer, correct?

No, it improves all beer... Just because I don't like the flavor of it doesn't mean its not proper..I don't like the flavor of a lot of things!

Um. Ok. If a procedure causes something to not taste good, I'd say that's the definition of improper. But whatever floats your boat.

I think it's important to remember that anytime you try something new or incorporate a new method/process, the potential for recipe tweaks exists.

I don't think dough tastes bad, I just wouldn't  want the beer to be dominated by it. So maybe you cut the Vienna with another malt in what used to be a 100% Vienna beer.

The point is, every advancement, improvement, new process, etc. often brings new challenges, new tweaks and ingredient choices. This is no different.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #181 on: January 15, 2017, 09:38:22 am »
Here's my Vienna journey. I didn't know what went into X style beers and a bunch suggested Vienna. They seemed to do ok. Then someone suggested CaraHell, not as a replacement for Vienna but... then I found I liked the carahell contribution and just deleted my use of Vienna because I just couldn't find what it was doing to improve my beer. So now my base grain bill for my three lagers is varying amounts of Pills and CaraHell. In short, I don't hate Vienna, it just doesn't float my boat.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #182 on: January 15, 2017, 11:56:29 am »
I am finally brewing the oatmeal stout I was supposed to brew like three weeks ago.

I started getting everything together at 9:00 a.m., and I was ready to mash in at 10:20.  The water prep definitely takes some time, but I'm hoping to make up a bit with the no sparge. 

On the plus side, I was able to listen to almost half a Dead show...
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #183 on: January 15, 2017, 12:26:43 pm »
I am finally brewing the oatmeal stout I was supposed to brew like three weeks ago.

I started getting everything together at 9:00 a.m., and I was ready to mash in at 10:20.  The water prep definitely takes some time, but I'm hoping to make up a bit with the no sparge. 

I think the no sparge takes longer, honestly. It's more water to heat up to a boil in the beginning. When I sparge, I have half as much water to heat up, and can start heating the sparge water after mashing in. Really only adds about 30 minutes to the brew session.
I no sparge my 3.5 gallon batches for my 2.5 gallon kegs, but have to sparge my 5.5 gallon batches. Both sizes take about the same amount of time, around 5 hours.
Jesse

Big Monk

« Reply #184 on: January 15, 2017, 01:18:25 pm »

I think the no sparge takes longer, honestly. It's more water to heat up to a boil in the beginning. When I sparge, I have half as much water to heat up, and can start heating the sparge water after mashing in. Really only adds about 30 minutes to the brew session.
I no sparge my 3.5 gallon batches for my 2.5 gallon kegs, but have to sparge my 5.5 gallon batches. Both sizes take about the same amount of time, around 5 hours.

Maybe you need more power output from your heat source?

This is definitely one reason I love small batches. My modest 2.5-3 gallons of strike water is up to temp in no time.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #185 on: January 15, 2017, 04:54:31 pm »
Both sizes take about the same amount of time, around 5 hours.

5 hours would be great.  Today's brew took me 6.5 hours.

9:00 - start
10:20 - mash in
10:28 - begin 60 minute mash
11:28 - begin lauter
12:14 - begin boil
1:24 - begin chilling
1:55 - chilling finished
2:35 - rack into fermentor
3:29 - clean up and pH readings finished

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #186 on: January 15, 2017, 05:02:12 pm »
Both sizes take about the same amount of time, around 5 hours.

5 hours would be great.  Today's brew took me 6.5 hours.

9:00 - start
10:20 - mash in
10:28 - begin 60 minute mash
11:28 - begin lauter
12:14 - begin boil
1:24 - begin chilling
1:55 - chilling finished
2:35 - rack into fermentor
3:29 - clean up and pH readings finished

Yeah, including cleanup, mine took 5 hrs 55 mins today. Not short by any means but I'm getting better at this new approach.

Jon H.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #187 on: January 15, 2017, 05:39:00 pm »
Also, I don't know what happened, but although my last two lodo no-sparge batches hit 73% efficiency (down from the low 80s with a batch sparge), today's brew was only 63%.  Maybe it was the oatmeal.

I still hit 1.053 which will be fine, but I'm seriously considering setting up a 240V RIMS later this year.  I'll have to call an electrician and see if that's a possibility.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #188 on: January 15, 2017, 07:05:25 pm »
Also, I don't know what happened, but although my last two lodo no-sparge batches hit 73% efficiency (down from the low 80s with a batch sparge), today's brew was only 63%.  Maybe it was the oatmeal.

I still hit 1.053 which will be fine, but I'm seriously considering setting up a 240V RIMS later this year.  I'll have to call an electrician and see if that's a possibility.

Just installed 240V brew in a basket 18 gallon Stout Tanks system with High Gravity Wort Hog Controller and 5500 watt Ultra low watt density element - hoping to combine all the good from LODO and BIAB to shorten my day and get the best out of the system...including the stainless chiller.  The 240 V GFCI was pretty costly, but it works so far.. now to dial in the system....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #189 on: January 22, 2017, 03:22:03 pm »
Lodo oatmeal stout is on deck for Sunday which means fermentation days 5-7 will be over a weekend, so I'm hoping I can spund this one.

Well, I missed the spunding window (I think day 3 would have been the time but I couldn't get to it), but I just kegged it on day 7 with some priming sugar solution.

You know it's a good sign when you can't stop drinking the sample of 70 degree, uncarbonated beer that you collected for a gravity reading.  I have high hopes for this one.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #190 on: January 22, 2017, 03:35:24 pm »
Lodo oatmeal stout is on deck for Sunday which means fermentation days 5-7 will be over a weekend, so I'm hoping I can spund this one.

Well, I missed the spunding window (I think day 3 would have been the time but I couldn't get to it), but I just kegged it on day 7 with some priming sugar solution.

You know it's a good sign when you can't stop drinking the sample of 70 degree, uncarbonated beer that you collected for a gravity reading.  I have high hopes for this one.

Sounds like a good sign to me. Yeah, I've tried twice and yet to hit the spunding window spot on. Having to go to work makes it a little tougher. ;D.  My strategy now is, if I can't hit the 4 points over exactly, kegging at 6 points over is the next best thing and then planning to vent the excess pressure.

Jon H.

The Beerery

« Reply #191 on: January 22, 2017, 04:29:03 pm »
Your spunding valve will vent automatically!  That's the whole point you know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #192 on: January 22, 2017, 04:40:12 pm »
Your spunding valve will vent automatically!  That's the whole point you know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get it - bad choice of words. I've been on the low side both times so haven't built enough pressure to need to vent. Next time. :)
Jon H.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #193 on: January 22, 2017, 05:07:58 pm »
I've been on the low side both times so haven't built enough pressure to need to vent.

What day did you keg them on? 

Medium gravity ales seem to reach FG so quickly.  It feels really weird to be thinking about kegging a batch on day 2 or 3.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #194 on: January 22, 2017, 05:18:50 pm »
I've been on the low side both times so haven't built enough pressure to need to vent.

What day did you keg them on? 

Medium gravity ales seem to reach FG so quickly.  It feels really weird to be thinking about kegging a batch on day 2 or 3.

My 1.052 Dunkel was kegged on day 5. Actually the issue there was a timy pinhole leak on the bottom of the spunding valve. There was enough extract there, but I didn't build quite enough pressure because of the leak. Still ended up around 75% carbed from the spund alone. As for the 1.064 IPA I just did, I kegged at the end of day 4, and built what appeared to be around 1/2 carb from the spund alone. I used a big pitch of 1056 for it.

Jon H.