Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: got to cold right after pitching yeast  (Read 1665 times)

Offline brighamjsmall@gmail.com

• 1st Kit
  • Average White Man
got to cold right after pitching yeast
« on: December 22, 2016, 10:38:33 am »
just moved to a new house still trying to find the best room for fermentation. Well i guessed wrong its been thirty six hours sense i pitch the yeast with a starter and I'm still not seeing good primary fermentation I'm thinking its because it got a little to cold. the question is if i let it worm up has it been to long sense i pitched the yeast will i see any problems like maybe there isn't enough oxygen to get a good primary fermentation after 36 hours, and if so is it safe to re oxygenate the beer before it worms back up again?
This is Brigham and I approve of this message.

Offline NoMoBud

• 1st Kit
Re: got to cold right after pitching yeast
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 10:44:34 am »
Ale or Lager yeast?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 10:49:50 am »
just moved to a new house still trying to find the best room for fermentation. Well i guessed wrong its been thirty six hours sense i pitch the yeast with a starter and I'm still not seeing good primary fermentation I'm thinking its because it got a little to cold. the question is if i let it worm up has it been to long sense i pitched the yeast will i see any problems like maybe there isn't enough oxygen to get a good primary fermentation after 36 hours, and if so is it safe to re oxygenate the beer before it worms back up again?

How cold is too cold?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

• 1st Kit
  • Average White Man
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 01:02:34 pm »
Ale. its actually a beer/cider but yes its ale yeast.

It got down to fifty five.

Its up to temp now and still not fermenting actively I think i pitched plenty of yeast did a starter like usual i dropped my hydrometer so sadly i don't know the original gravity. i also used two and a half lb DME so the yeast should have plenty of nutrients.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 02:14:45 pm »
Ale. its actually a beer/cider but yes its ale yeast.

It got down to fifty five.

Its up to temp now and still not fermenting actively I think i pitched plenty of yeast did a starter like usual i dropped my hydrometer so sadly i don't know the original gravity. i also used two and a half lb DME so the yeast should have plenty of nutrients.

Not a problem for almost any ale yeast.  Are you saying you used 2.5 lb. of DME for your starter?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

• 1st Kit
  • Average White Man
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 02:57:24 pm »
no for the whole batch for the starter i used, 2 oz DME 0.5 C water and 1.5 C apple cider. i thought this would better imitate the environment of my cider that the yeast would end up in.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 03:13:18 pm »
no for the whole batch for the starter i used, 2 oz DME 0.5 C water and 1.5 C apple cider. i thought this would better imitate the environment of my cider that the yeast would end up in.

Ah, didn't realize you were making cider.  Did you use any yeast nutrient?  Apple juice is low in nutrients so that often helps.  Also, nest time I'd just lkeave the juice out of the starter.  There's no need to imitate the environment.  You're just trying t grow a lot of healthy yeast cells.

www.dennybrew.com

• 1st Kit
  • Average White Man
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 05:18:04 pm »
ya i was thinking the yeast nutrient wouldn't be necessary with the DME but ya next time for sure thank for the help.

• 1st Kit
  • Average White Man
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 05:20:54 pm »
would there be any complications that you know of to adding the yeast nutrients and some more yeast to try to save the batch?

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 06:54:30 pm »
I'm thinking I would go ahead with a four-day nutrient schedule.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 10:54:14 am »
would there be any complications that you know of to adding the yeast nutrients and some more yeast to try to save the batch?

No;e, should be fine of you do it carefully

www.dennybrew.com