Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carbonation  (Read 1497 times)

Offline WWBF

• 1st Kit
Carbonation
« on: December 19, 2016, 02:59:15 pm »
I opened a bottle of Russian Imperial Stout after bottling for two weeks and it had very little carbonation. It also tasted a little acidic. I brewed the beer on 11/13/16 and let it ferment for 3 weeks (including secondary fermentation starting 11/20/16). I bottled the beer on 12/14/16. Should I be worried about the lack of carbonation and will taste profile improve?

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Carbonation
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 03:26:50 pm »
Big beers tend to take longer to carb.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 05:10:45 pm »
I opened a bottle of Russian Imperial Stout after bottling for two weeks and it had very little carbonation. It also tasted a little acidic. I brewed the beer on 11/13/16 and let it ferment for 3 weeks (including secondary fermentation starting 11/20/16). I bottled the beer on 12/14/16. Should I be worried about the lack of carbonation and will taste profile improve?
You said you bottled two weeks ago then said you bottled on 12/14 which is 5 days ago. Even if it has been two weeks I would say wait awhile, but has it really only been 5 days?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Nwsurfkid

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 05:48:16 pm »
Depends on priming method....
I'd let that sit in the bottle at least a month IMO, if not more. Sounds like it  needs some time to condition and smooth out a bit....check a bottle in another week...then wait one more week...etc. write down how long it took for best profile, and what changes happened at each bottle so you know next time. Flavor should improve with age...as for carbonation, how did you prime the beer?

Depending on process/system, a big beer may take longer to reach peak taste as mentioned...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 07:03:37 pm »
I would give it a month at minimum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline WWBF

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 07:34:37 am »
You said you bottled two weeks ago then said you bottled on 12/14 which is 5 days ago. Even if it has been two weeks I would say wait awhile, but has it really only been 5 days?
Sorry for the typo, it was bottled on 12/4/16.   Sounds like more time maybe the answer. I used priming sugar as instructed - Better Brewing kit - to prime the beer right before bottling.