Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pre-Canned Starters (NB Fast Pitch Alternatives)  (Read 6426 times)

The Beerery

Re: Pre-Canned Starters (NB Fast Pitch Alternatives)
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2016, 05:54:57 am »
I collect 1-1.5L of wort from the current batch and make a shaken not stirred starter. I then pitch that starter (every last drop) into the remainder of the batch the next morning.  I am very happy with the results on ales and lagers.

No need for canned starter wort.

Just as a side note, as I used to do the same. Those employing low oxygen methods, this will not work. You will notice flavor reduction due to oxidation from letting the wort sit for extended periods.

So, for that first initial pitch made with a starter from a fresh pack(s), are you just crashing then decanting the majority of spent wort on top?

Admittedly I don't make starters.. I do this:

http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/uncategorized/lager-yeast-there-has-to-be-an-easier-way/

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2016, 11:18:19 am »
I collect 1-1.5L of wort from the current batch and make a shaken not stirred starter. I then pitch that starter (every last drop) into the remainder of the batch the next morning.  I am very happy with the results on ales and lagers.

No need for canned starter wort.

Just as a side note, as I used to do the same. Those employing low oxygen methods, this will not work. You will notice flavor reduction due to oxidation from letting the wort sit for extended periods.

So, for that first initial pitch made with a starter from a fresh pack(s), are you just crashing then decanting the majority of spent wort on top?

Admittedly I don't make starters.. I do this:

http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/uncategorized/lager-yeast-there-has-to-be-an-easier-way/

Doesnt the initial pitch of 5 packs into a standard OG lager batch (5 gallons) take more than 8 hrs to get going properly?  If so, then does that reduce positive benefits of LODO brewing for that initial batch?

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 09:10:55 am »
Are you simply pouring your yeast from the primary into the mason jars?  And are you not concerned with oxidation at this stage simply because the yeast in suspension will clean it up while fermenting the remaining points of extract in the storage jars (can glass even take that added pressure or should one degas by opening lid slightly?) and produce enough natural CO2 to remain in the headspace until next brew day?

Sorry for the additional questions just trying to figure out some of these process points.

The Beerery

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 09:54:58 am »
Nope, I use the freshest yeast I can find ( I buy from NB so its really fresh).  My lag times average ~6hrs.

Yup, simple pour. Yeast will mop up the oxygen, and go into storage more invigorated with some extract left in the wort they are in. Being that I step mash there will be some maltriose for those yeast after they get though the normal sugar as well. I use plastic caps, they are not super airtight, and work great. I don't do anything once the jars go in the fridge.

Hope that helps

Offline Stevie

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 10:03:49 am »
Watch those plastic caps. I've had them split from the pressure. I finger tip tighten them now and snug them up after a couple of days in the fridge.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2016, 10:28:29 am »
Why would you sacrifice your convenience because of a change in ownership? While there is always the  possibility that AB Inbev may do something to piss off the home brewing community, there is no reason to assume that.

Why do so many assume that they are buying up successful businesses in order to undermine the craft brewing and home brewing communities? Could it be that they are simply investing in their future? I'm sure that their powers that be are aware that we won't generate any profits for them if they attempt to screw us.

Personally, the only experience I've had with companies they have bought out was with 10 Barrel Brewing in Bend, OR. The only change I've seen since AB bought them out is they no longer have a full bar. Don't know about you, but I generally don't go to a brewery to drink hard liquor.

While I have never been a fan of AB products, I will still go to 10 Barrel when in Bend because I like their food, beer and the atmosphere. I just don't like to cut off my nose to spite my face.

the tiered distribution model that they lobby for is all the prodding I need to never support them

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2016, 07:12:44 am »
With NB selling out to the evil 800-lb gorilla in the room, my source of premade wort for starters has disappeared. Does anyone know of any alternatives? I could can my own starters, sure, but I'm willing to pay a little for convenience. I do also plan to start repitching slurry, as I've finally nailed down some favorite strains, but I need a stopgap in the meantime.

I've heard of folks using Goya Malta for starters. Malta is really dark though, not sure how it would work with the SNS starter method.

Phil,
I posted this on another thread.  Perhaps you didn't see it.  Very convenient.

I don't use DME anymore for starters.  When I finish a brew, there is always some wort left at the bottom of the pot.  I pour it off, let it settle then decant the clear wort into pint or qt. containers and freeze.  When I need to make a starter I take one out of the freezer, boil & cool.  Saves money on DME and you know exactly what your gravity is from the saved wort.  If it's too high, then you would need to add some water.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2016, 03:28:33 pm »
Ironically, the local AB distributor is also one of the larger proponents of craft beer in the area.

I'm still not sure what I intend to do. I don't want to leave the wort sitting without yeast any longer than I have to, both for low O2 and spoilage reasons.

But at the rate I've been brewing, the six cans of fast pitch I've got left ought to last me through the next year...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Chino Brews

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2016, 07:26:11 pm »
If you're using Fast Pitch, then obviously cost is not the driving factor. In that case could you just make DME starters? You don't need to boil DME starters -- pasteurization temp of 185°F is fine and takes boilovers out of the equation, and you could bring to boil for a few seconds if you feel the need to. Then if you make the starter in a small pot, put the lid on, and just let it passively cool in an ice bath or at ambient temp, you can walk away. Pour it into a flask when you remember and the wort is cool. The active time to make a starter this way is on the order of 3-4 minutes. That's not much longer than opening a can of pure pitch, right?
If how I brew makes you mad or somehow ruins home brewing for you, maybe you need a less stressful hobby than making and drinking beer! :D

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2016, 11:35:46 am »
I seem to recall a product that is essentially wort - called "Malto Goya" or something similar.  I used it years ago as a starter wort and it seemed fine - but then I was using a stirplate then and decanting it before pitching slurry....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"