Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Paris 2017  (Read 4093 times)

Offline jmnagy0309

• 1st Kit
Paris 2017
« on: December 27, 2016, 01:27:33 pm »
I'm heading to Paris in early 2017. Wondering if folks have any recommendations for either good French brews or beers from EU that can't be bad here but should be tried before coming back stateside. Thanks for any help.

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
Re: Paris 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 06:00:54 pm »
When I was in Paris in 2013, you could get some interesting French and Belgian beers in some of the cafés and brasseries, but there really wasn't much of a craft beer scene at all. I did go to one good bottle shop called La Cave à Bulles (in the 4e, I think).

If things have improved, and I suspect they have, I look forward to hearing about it from other commenters. I'm returning this summer!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 06:45:32 pm »
My experience will be a little out of date. Back in 1999, the best examples of beer were Belgian beers, and those were priced like imports. Today, maybe not so much. We ended up drinking a lot of wine, as it was very cheap/affordable.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 01:11:56 am »
Afaik it's still the hyper commercial Belgian beers and French pils that dominate the beer scene. I would advise you to stick to absinthe.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 08:19:26 am »
I say "when in Rome". If I were going to France I would be looking for the wine and spirits they are known for.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 03:52:00 am »
La Fine Mousse is a must. It's near Pere-Lachaise cemetery, so combining the two might be good.
http://www.lafinemousse.fr/

The Frog pubs have come a long way in recent years. Check out the Frog & Rosbif: http://www.frogpubs.com/pub-the-frog-rosbif-paris-1.php

Now that I typed all this, I found this:
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=25820.msg332835#msg332835

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 11:12:07 am »
Please report back after you go.  I'm planning on going in September. ;)
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 01:49:40 pm »
Please report back after you go.  I'm planning on going in September. ;)

Yes please let us know what you find. I'll be there end of June.   :)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 04:25:05 am »
Personally, anywhere in France, I would stick to the wine, which is fantastic, rather than the beer, which isn't.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline jmnagy0309

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 01:26:06 pm »
Thanks all for the advice. I'm in Paris now through Saturday. I am going to hit Au Trappists, Bierocratie, and Brewberry (maybe La Fine Mousse too) in between all the sites. Trying to balance beers with tourist cites since this is my first visit. Will let you know if these places work out - or if I stumble upon others. If you are in Paris let me buy you a beer for all your help....or come to Buffalo for the same.

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
Paris 2017
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 05:14:09 pm »
Reporting back after my trip (too late for BrewArk — sorry). I agree with the comments on the Frog Pubs. I never made it to La Fine Mousse, unfortunately. I still recommend La Cave à Bulles. But overall, in my estimation, the beer scene hasn’t changed much since I was there four years ago.
Belgiany beers are available from most cafés, brasseries, etc., usually of a Belgian Wit or Pale bent. But you’re better off having the outstanding and inexpensive wine. The standard Fischer and Kronenbourg beers you can get in most places are to be avoided, in my opinion, unless you’re parched and need a refreshing quaff from all the walking. They’ll slake your thirst but, on contemplation, are pretty bland.
I did have a Fischer Réserve Ambrée in Strasbourg (earlier in the trip). It was like a Belgian Pale, with some pleasant toasty and biscuity malt notes, but it finished very sweet (hard to finish the half liter pictured on the right below).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 05:03:54 pm by ajk »

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 06:15:44 pm »
Heading there in May. Sounds like I should stick to the wine unless I spot something interesting along the way.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 04:32:06 pm »
Paris and France (Bayeux in Normandy) were not as bad as expected. Typically one could find a Belgian beer on draft or bottle and at an affordable price. What I did not run into which I was hoping to find were BdG or Saison of course we didn't try to search any out either.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline drewer02

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 12:16:19 am »
Paris and France (Bayeux in Normandy) were not as bad as expected. Typically one could find a Belgian beer on draft or bottle and at an affordable price. What I did not run into which I was hoping to find were BdG or Saison of course we didn't try to search any out either.

Sounds like Belgian beer is one of the good beers to try there. Hope to get a chance when we visit Paris soon.