Author Topic: Oatmeal stout final gravity  (Read 1714 times)

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
    • View Profile
Oatmeal stout final gravity
« on: December 28, 2016, 06:47:05 AM »

Ok guys,
Just took a final gravity reading and im at 1012 beer smith says fg should be 1018. Thats not my issue. The flavor is leaving alot to be desired. The roast isn't very prominent,  and there is a sort of mineral flavor along with a tongue tickling kinda thing going on. Ive experienced that feeling in stouts before.
To make it somewhat enjoyable can i use nibs or vanilla to add some flavor? If so do i have to prep the nibs or vanilla beans for secondary?
All tips and tricks much appreciated.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
Re: Oatmeal stout final gravity
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 08:02:14 AM »
Sounds like maybe too low ph in the final product.  Do you have any baking soda? Pull a half pint and gently stir a tiny amount of baking soda in. Like 1/8 teaspoon. See if that changes it for the better

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 08:05:10 AM »
Sounds like maybe too low ph in the final product.  Do you have any baking soda? Pull a half pint and gently stir a tiny amount of baking soda in. Like 1/8 teaspoon. See if that changes it for the better

Interesting sir, I'll give it a shot. What's the idea behind that?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 11:37:59 AM »
Beers with roast, inherently acidic, tend to finish a little low ph. If the pH is too low it can make a beer taste and feel sharp and thin. Baking soda increases ph. If you add a touch and it doesn't improve, add a touch more. If you add too much it can become kind of salty. But this is a cheap easy way to see if your beer is fine but just too low ph. I suspect you will notice immediately that by raising the pH your beer is less tangy and sharp, more soft and rounded.

Once you know the problem there are ways to address the issue.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 03:55:54 PM »
+1.  My only other guess is too high a ferm temp, but I assume you have that under control.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 04:34:30 PM »
Beers with roast, inherently acidic, tend to finish a little low ph. If the pH is too low it can make a beer taste and feel sharp and thin. Baking soda increases ph. If you add a touch and it doesn't improve, add a touch more. If you add too much it can become kind of salty. But this is a cheap easy way to see if your beer is fine but just too low ph. I suspect you will notice immediately that by raising the pH your beer is less tangy and sharp, more soft and rounded.

Once you know the problem there are ways to address the issue.

Yup.
Jon H.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 07:56:59 PM »
+1.  My only other guess is too high a ferm temp, but I assume you have that under control.

I pitched@ 60f ramped 1 degree everyday held at 66f until activity stopped, checked fg an sampled.
Its been cold lately and i dont have a heat belt for my fermenter. I used an incandescent light in the mini freezer for heat.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 08:10:38 PM »
Hmmm, never been a big fan of any light as a heat source.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 08:21:27 PM »
Hmmm, never been a big fan of any light as a heat source.

My LHBS didnt have a heat belt in stock so i used the method they use in their fermenters.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 09:44:46 PM »
are you trying the beer flat or carbed?

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 09:47:10 PM »
Right out of the fermenter at 66f.
Twas a sample drawn for gravity reading.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 09:59:53 PM »

carbonation can drastically change the perception of beer. If you have access to a carbonator cap, you could draw some into a small soda bottle and force carb to see if anything changes.

And to echo the sentiment on what others have stated, my darker beers improved quite a bit when I increased the PH.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 10:06:58 PM »

carbonation can drastically change the perception of beer. If you have access to a carbonator cap, you could draw some into a small soda bottle and force carb to see if anything changes.

And to echo the sentiment on what others have stated, my darker beers improved quite a bit when I increased the PH.
I would love to force carbonate,  i just dont have any c02 equipment.

So for next time do i increase pH somehow before boil? I know certain salts are not reccomended during the sparge. I guess i could add things to the boil pot.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 10:11:51 PM »

So for next time do i increase pH somehow before boil? I know certain salts are not reccomended during the sparge. I guess i could add things to the boil pot.

is this all grain or extract? If its all grain, use a water calculator like bru'n water. Not sure about extract. Everyones advice might vary, but if it were me, I would package it as I normally would and see what its like carbed.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 10:14:48 PM »

is this all grain or extract? If its all grain, use a water calculator like bru'n water. Not sure about extract. Everyones advice might vary, but if it were me, I would package it as I normally would and see what its like carbed.
Its all grain. I used bru n water for mash and sparge. I dont recall seeing anything aboot additions to the boil.
I could certainly give that a go.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 10:18:05 PM by curtdogg »