Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop addition time for maximum flavor?  (Read 10543 times)

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
Re: Hop addition time for maximum flavor?
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2017, 09:35:57 am »
Yeah, I think mine might as well have been whirlpool since they went in at 2 minutes and then were whirlpooling for probably 10 before it chilled.  So I looked back and the hop schedule was

1oz Zythos @ 20
2oz Zythos @ 2
2oz Azacca @ 2

then there will be some dryhop too.  What yeast were you using?  I use 1968 basically all the time, but I don't often make particularly hoppy beer so it may not be a good yeast choice.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2017, 10:38:23 am »
  What yeast were you using?  I use 1968 basically all the time, but I don't often make particularly hoppy beer so it may not be a good yeast choice.

I use a lot of 1056 (sometimers 1450) for American styles. Being a hophead I like how it stays in the background.
Jon H.

Online dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2017, 06:24:01 pm »
Question about hop utilization, as I've seen varied data: what time during the boil utilizes the most flavor, forgetting bitterness and aroma. I've seen at the 10 minute addition, and I've seen 20. Anyone have any insight/data/experience with this?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Another vote for flameout / whirlpool.  Flavor and aroma are really one and the same thing.  In effect your nasal passage sniffs the beer as it slides down your throat.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2017, 07:05:52 pm »
Question about hop utilization, as I've seen varied data: what time during the boil utilizes the most flavor, forgetting bitterness and aroma. I've seen at the 10 minute addition, and I've seen 20. Anyone have any insight/data/experience with this?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Another vote for flameout / whirlpool.  Flavor and aroma are really one and the same thing.  In effect your nasal passage sniffs the beer as it slides down your throat.
Jim warned you!
Brian
mobrewer

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2017, 05:58:55 pm »
My next IPA is getting split w 1056 and 007. Always have used 007. I also agree on the flameout/whirlpool. I usually don't do a stand at 170. I usually dose at flameout and chill recirculating to the kettle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2017, 09:32:41 pm »
I like to do my APA's and IPAs by "layering" in a mix of hops every few minutes starting at 20 and going through flame out, and dry, This is sort of a play on Dogfish Head's continuous hopping, but I skip everything between 60 and 20, and do it in 5 minute chunks instead of continuously fed.

Generally for 5 gallons, I'll take 6 oz total of 2 or 3 different varieties of hops, and stir them in a bowl. Then add an oz of the mixture at 20, 15, 10, 5, 0, and dry.

Varietals I like that work well together as late blends:
Chinook, Cascade, Centennial, Amarillo, Galaxy, Citra, Mosaic, Nelson Sauvin, Willamette, Columbus, and Soriachi Ace.

I calculate the IBU contribution of the late hops, then add a small dose of Chinook at 60 (on the order of 1/4 oz in a 5 gal batch) along with enough of a cleaner bittering hop like Magnum, Perle, or sometimes Cascade at 60 to hit the IBU target.  I may have to juggle it around to get the IBUs right, like adding the bittering addition at 50 mins or something.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2017, 08:49:46 am »
I like to do my APA's and IPAs by "layering" in a mix of hops every few minutes starting at 20 and going through flame out, and dry, This is sort of a play on Dogfish Head's continuous hopping, but I skip everything between 60 and 20, and do it in 5 minute chunks instead of continuously fed.

Generally for 5 gallons, I'll take 6 oz total of 2 or 3 different varieties of hops, and stir them in a bowl. Then add an oz of the mixture at 20, 15, 10, 5, 0, and dry.

I do this as well. My most used mix is Simcoe, Chinook, Cascade. Around 1.5 or 2 ounces of each mixed in a bowl and split out in 6 additions: one at FWH, then starting from 20 minutes to the end of the boil.
Jesse