Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CaraMunich II  (Read 4623 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: CaraMunich II
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 10:28:29 am »
I don't think the grain bill is terrible but that much vienna plus that much caramunich would not be my choice for that style. That's a lot of sweeter flavors and needs bitterness and/or countervailing flavors.

The trick to a good BPA IMO is to think about the interplay of yeast and hop selection. For those hops I would opt for a spicier yeast and ferment cooler to accentuate the earthy/spicy flavors. It really doesn't make as much sense to pair a fruitier Belgian yeast with that hop combination. Chouffe would be a good choice for that. I like fruitier yeasts/warmer fermentations with more floral and fruity hops. Of course, most Belgian yeasts will change with fermentation temperature so consider that variable as well.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 11:21:40 am »
Maybe I should kick in 3522. I can build up a big starter of it and try it on the BGSA and the pale....
I love 3522 for my Belgian Pale Ale.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 11:54:40 am »
I love 3522 for my Belgian Pale Ale.

Yeah, great strain.
Jon H.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 08:35:00 am »
It might not be totally to style (and it's been a while since I've had one of the commercial examples), but I like to use 50/50 pilsner and pale with a bit of cane sugar (or sometimes the golden candi sryup); bitter with EKG and finish with SG and Saaz.  I used to use a lot of 3522 but recently have been using 3787 instead. 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2016, 09:50:28 am »
IMO it comes down to your yeast.  I now have a Golden Strong that I split with different yeasts.  My 570 batch is, well just flat.  Not bad, not good, just run of the mill flavor with nothing standing out.  I pitched at 65, slowly raised to 70, and then to 75 as it slowed.  The other yeast I used was 3864.  That beer is really fantastic.  There is a complexity to it. 
Jeff B

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 01:19:03 pm »
Well I am giving this another go soon.  The Syrian folding at the LHBS was only 1.4%AA... hallertau was 2.1%, tet  was 2.3%.  So I went with Perle to bitter...

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2017, 08:19:09 am »
So my weekend attempt on BPA

1.051OG
25.8 IBUs
1.008 EFG
46.4% Pale (Castle)
40.6% Pils (Best - LHBS out of Castle and Weyermann)
11.6% Caramunich II (Weyermann)
1.4% Aromatic (Franco-Belges)

19.1 IBUs Perle 5.5%AA
6.7 IBUS Kazbek 5.1%AA

An Achouffe strain, and hopefully a decent waffle during the mash in will help me get this one in the ball park of what I am hoping for.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2017, 11:39:33 am »

1.051OG
25.8 IBUs
1.008 EFG
46.4% Pale (Castle)

19.1 IBUs Perle 5.5%AA
6.7 IBUS Kazbek 5.1%AA

An Achouffe strain, and hopefully a decent waffle during the mash in will help me get this one in the ball park of what I am hoping for.
Be careful with that Best pils.  If it's the wonky stuff, you could under-shoot your mash ph by a point or two.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Big Monk

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2017, 11:42:42 am »

1.051OG
25.8 IBUs
1.008 EFG
46.4% Pale (Castle)

19.1 IBUs Perle 5.5%AA
6.7 IBUS Kazbek 5.1%AA

Be careful with that Best pils.  If it's the wonky stuff, you could under-shoot your mash ph by a point or two.

Yup. Beware!

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2017, 08:04:24 am »
I thought about planning for 5.3 mash pH and holding out, or trying to chase pH all day with lactic and baking soda

AHA Member

The Beerery

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2017, 08:05:57 am »
I thought about planning for 5.3 mash pH and holding out, or trying to chase pH all day with lactic and baking soda

You could easily do a mini-mash with distilled water to get your pH, if it matters to you.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2017, 08:42:30 am »

You could easily do a mini-mash with distilled water to get your pH, if it matters to you.
Sounds like more to clean when I think about it.  Thanks though, that's a good idea.  I am going to aim for 5.2 and hope for the best out of best.

AHA Member