Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Electric Brew In A Can (BIAC)  (Read 3060 times)

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
Electric Brew In A Can (BIAC)
« on: December 28, 2016, 04:48:27 pm »
Interesting piece of equipment for those looking to get into all-grain brewing in minimal space and electric.

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/BREWERS-EDGE-MASH-BOIL--P4216.aspx

And the price seems super reasonable.  At $299 it's not much more than a good kettle.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Electric Brew In A Can (BIAC)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 06:21:41 pm »
Anybody use one yet?  Does it work as advertised?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 07:49:19 am »
There seem to be a lot of these systems getting marketed at the moment, which seem to have appeared to be looking to build on the success of the Grainfather (and the Braumeister).  I've not used one, but over on the Jims Beer Kit forum, a few people seem to have used the very similar Bulldog Brewer system with success.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 08:31:40 am »
It's basically an electric kettle with a BIAB basket. It doesn't have a pump like the grainfather and braumeister. Price is crazy low, so I'm a bit suspicious of the build quality.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 09:15:20 am »
Yeah, I wonder about the quality too.  They don't show many (any) pictures of the build details.  Williams is a quality outfit IME.  You could send it back if it was poor quality.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 02:24:31 pm »
Yeah, I wonder about the quality too.  They don't show many (any) pictures of the build details.  Williams is a quality outfit IME.  You could send it back if it was poor quality.

I returned something to Williams once and they were fine about it. Another time I ordered a lb of crushed 15L and they sent 20L (or maybe it was the other way around) and they were incredibly responsive about my complaint, even though I noted that it made very little difference in the finished beer.

This is very tempting because I do own a pump, and can see this taking the place of the brewstand I was thinking of building. I have several questions for them (is the thermostat adjustable, can it handle smaller batches, etc.) but I'm definitely interested. I'd also like to figure out if I would be able to lift a basket of wet grain at or near max capacity, which at 16 lbs dry would be about 30 lbs wet, if the guideline that a lb of grain absorbs .1 gallon water is correct (16 lbs grain --> 1.6 gallons water --> ca. 15 lbs; + 16 = 31 lbs).
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 02:33:20 pm »
The Q&A section on the product page is filling up. I saw a few regarding capacity.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 03:09:04 pm »
The Q&A section on the product page is filling up. I saw a few regarding capacity.

Thanks, I missed that. Some good discussion. I can guess the next version will have markers for smaller batches.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 09:39:35 pm »

This is very tempting because I do own a pump, and can see this taking the place of the brewstand I was thinking of building. I have several questions for them (is the thermostat adjustable, can it handle smaller batches, etc.) but I'm definitely interested. I'd also like to figure out if I would be able to lift a basket of wet grain at or near max capacity, which at 16 lbs dry would be about 30 lbs wet, if the guideline that a lb of grain absorbs .1 gallon water is correct (16 lbs grain --> 1.6 gallons water --> ca. 15 lbs; + 16 = 31 lbs).
Here is a solution to your lifting concern.

http://www.brewinabag.com/collections/frontpage/products/pulley-metal-ratchet-250-lbs-capacity

This is assuming that you are brewing in the garage or basement (or your wife will let you put a eyebolt in the kitchen ceiling).  I use one of these for BIAB, works great.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 07:53:56 pm »

http://www.brewinabag.com/collections/frontpage/products/pulley-metal-ratchet-250-lbs-capacity

This is assuming that you are brewing in the garage or basement (or your wife will let you put a eyebolt in the kitchen ceiling).  I use one of these for BIAB, works great.

Took me some head-scratching to figure out my response. Well... I'm a wife in a two-wife household... But back to brewing... I'd prefer to find an equipment design more mobile than one requiring a fixed winch. When I can't get to sleep I mentally work on the design of a mobile, highly accessible all-electric brewstand. I ask myself,  if I had very limited mobility, how would I move grain and fluid through this process? It's an interesting workflow problem. Pumps, gravity, and placement seem important to the design.

K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 09:08:08 pm »

Took me some head-scratching to figure out my response. Well... I'm a wife in a two-wife household... But back to brewing... I'd prefer to find an equipment design more mobile than one requiring a fixed winch. When I can't get to sleep I mentally work on the design of a mobile, highly accessible all-electric brewstand. I ask myself,  if I had very limited mobility, how would I move grain and fluid through this process? It's an interesting workflow problem. Pumps, gravity, and placement seem important to the design.

Oops...sorry if my attempt at humor was off :-[ ...but, as you said, back to brewing...I don't have limited mobility but I do have a bad back.  So here's what I came up with to deal with that.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=25940.0

It's not all electric but you may get some ideas for your brewing workflow system.  I can envision a roll-around stand made out of 2x4s with big caster wheels that has a peak for the lifting tackle.  The pump should be a must.  It really saves my back and has so many uses (mash circulation, several transfer uses, whirlpool, cleaning, etc., etc.).  Also the tall roll-around cart for the fermenter.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 09:46:37 pm »

Oops...sorry if my attempt at humor was off :-[ ...but, as you said, back to brewing...I don't have limited mobility but I do have a bad back.  So here's what I came up with to deal with that.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=25940.0

It's not all electric but you may get some ideas for your brewing workflow system.  I can envision a roll-around stand made out of 2x4s with big caster wheels that has a peak for the lifting tackle.  The pump should be a must.  It really saves my back and has so many uses (mash circulation, several transfer uses, whirlpool, cleaning, etc., etc.).  Also the tall roll-around cart for the fermenter.

Your humor was fine--I did laugh (like "um how do I answer this"). IMO that's the advantage of brew clubs, brewing events, and conferences -- the chance to get past our digital selves and have some face-to-face celebration of our shared belief that no matter what else happens in this crazy world, malted barley wants to become beer.

I will add the roll-around stand with a lifting tackle to my insomnia exercises. I agree on pumps--they are magic. I have one, and don't use it much right now, but every time I do I'm impressed. In my late-night musings, I am trying to deal with the hot wet grain, and I'm a bit stumped. I wonder if that means the mash tun needs to be reimagined. The lifting tackle may offer some solutions.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member