Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tap line cleaning  (Read 4355 times)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Tap line cleaning
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 07:33:46 pm »
What capacity pump are you using to recirculate the cleaner?  I set a system up today with a 290 gph pump and it just doesn't seem like it is powerful enough.
Mine is right around 600gph I believe.  Your new one should work just fine. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 10:12:42 pm »
I feel more comfortable disconnecting a picnic tap after use.  They are plastic, and cheaper than the stainless faucets, etc, so I trust them less.  I'm sure others out there may disagree, and they leave theirs connected.
Regardless of that decision, I always keep a spray bottle with sanitizer around, so I can quickly sanitize anything that needs  to be sanitized.  I suggest you do the same.  Whether you choose to disconnect or not, squirting the sanitizer into the faucet opening and the connection post is quick and a good habit to get into.

As far as how to clean it, you can do several things:

1) use co2 to push cleaner then sanitizer through.
2) simply soak it in a bucket.  Be sure to open the valve, and disconnect the ball lock connector so the solution gets into the line.  Again, first cleaner (PBW or unscented OxyClean, or BLC), then sanitizer.
3) get one of those hand pump things or an electric pump and pump the solutions through.

HTH-

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2017, 01:53:45 pm »
I feel more comfortable disconnecting a picnic tap after use.  They are plastic, and cheaper than the stainless faucets, etc, so I trust them less.  I'm sure others out there may disagree, and they leave theirs connected.
Regardless of that decision, I always keep a spray bottle with sanitizer around, so I can quickly sanitize anything that needs  to be sanitized.  I suggest you do the same.  Whether you choose to disconnect or not, squirting the sanitizer into the faucet opening and the connection post is quick and a good habit to get into.

As far as how to clean it, you can do several things:

1) use co2 to push cleaner then sanitizer through.
2) simply soak it in a bucket.  Be sure to open the valve, and disconnect the ball lock connector so the solution gets into the line.  Again, first cleaner (PBW or unscented OxyClean, or BLC), then sanitizer.
3) get one of those hand pump things or an electric pump and pump the solutions through.

HTH-
This is my SOP every time. I one left a picnic tap connected. I lost a full keg due to plastic failure. Never again, the mess was as bad as the loss of beer and CO2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B