Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What are your "unpopular" brewing opinions  (Read 75111 times)

Offline neddles

• Brewer
Re: What are your "unpopular" brewing opinions
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 05:31:27 pm »
IBU are a nearly worthless measure in beers with a lot of flavor/aroma hops. Only slightly better in other styles.

Fuggles are delicious.

Crystal malt can work perfectly well in hoppy beer and many other styles. It all depends on the specific malt, its flavor, how it is used and how old the beer is.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2016, 05:31:40 pm »
For most beer drinkers these terms are interchangeable. IPA, craft beer, microbrew.

These same people know for a fact that dark beer is strong and thick, and German.

They're called cicerones. 

(sorry, couldn't help myself)
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Big Monk

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2016, 05:33:10 pm »
Step mashes are probably worthless as well.  More experiments are a good idea but I'll probably not bother.  When in doubt, just mash at 150 F for 40 minutes.  You'll get very good beer with this mash "schedule".

Everyone has to mash to what is in their capability but if you can direct fire step mash you can't get a much better schedule than 20-30 min β rest into a 30 min α rest on your way to a 10 min MO.

Short and sweet with all the attenuation, body and foam you could ever want. Just another opinion of course. So I guess this post is my unpopular position that step mashes aren't useless!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 05:42:56 pm »
One of my unpopular methods is that I have two stirplates, which I only use for stiring agar into plate and slant media. I use oxygen to make yeast starters, and I pitch them at high krausen rather than letting them go dormant and crash/decant.

Hopefully it stays unpopular. I'd be fine with that being my little secret.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2016, 05:46:41 pm »
I am NOT a fan of fruit, spices, coffee, chocolate, etc. (including, now, vegetables--yuck) in my beer. If I want to taste grapefruit, I will eat a grapefruit, but please don't put it in my beer. It's not that I'm a grouchy old man clinging to a "back in my day" mentality, nor am I a Reinheitsgebot fanatic. And I keep an open mind when tasting beer. But I have never found a beer's flavor to be enhanced by adding this stuff to it. It just tastes really gross to me. And pumpkin beer? No thanks.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 06:05:52 pm »
I am NOT a fan of fruit, spices, coffee, chocolate, etc. (including, now, vegetables--yuck) in my beer. If I want to taste grapefruit, I will eat a grapefruit, but please don't put it in my beer. It's not that I'm a grouchy old man clinging to a "back in my day" mentality, nor am I a Reinheitsgebot fanatic. And I keep an open mind when tasting beer. But I have never found a beer's flavor to be enhanced by adding this stuff to it. It just tastes really gross to me. And pumpkin beer? No thanks.
I remember Denny saying that people should make beer flavored beer. I thought, "what fun is that?"

But... he's right. So are you.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 06:14:41 pm »
Once you are able to make good beer you need not be anal. I can make good beer without software and terribly precise measurements and not take notes. I don't recommend this if your new or trying to perfect something or dial in a new system of course and this isn't how I brew all the time but I sometimes figure out strike and sparge amounts literally on the back of an envelope, measure water with the marks I etched on my kettles, and add hops based on experience without calculating ibus. And they taste great!
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016, 06:21:04 pm »
IPAs are incredibly overrated.

Amen.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2016, 06:36:38 pm »
I remember Denny saying that people should make beer flavored beer. I thought, "what fun is that?"

But... he's right. So are you.

Agreed. No offense to anybody who likes these things. I just steer away from beers like this with the exception of using coffee occasionally in stout. But I don't like it to overpower - I don't want carbonated, alcoholic coffee. Just a subtle accent (mostly aroma) to add to the roasted character. Each his own.
Jon H.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2016, 06:38:03 pm »
I've spent the last 30 minutes trying to come up with something, to no avail.  there are things I do which may be different than what others do, but I apparently have no unpopular brewing opinions.  I have jettisoned some, for example the spice/fruit/whatever additions.  I don't typically go for those but it depends (I just had a terrific Abyss last night).

I also don't think there are too many IPAs in the world.  I guess I am Switzerland.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2016, 06:45:37 pm »
I also don't think there are too many IPAs in the world.  I guess I am Switzerland.

I'm with you. I love IPAs (well made ones anyway, which rules out a good many) and APAs. I always have one on tap. But I love variety, too. That leaves the other taps for malty lagers or whatever. I have beer drinker's ADD. 
Jon H.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2016, 06:46:37 pm »
IPAs are incredibly overrated.

Amen.

Agreed.  I love a good IPA, but they are NOT my go to beers.

I'll throw these out there.

"Beer connoisseurs" that can't find the simple elegance of and skill involved to create a well made Pilsner, Helles, or even -- I'll say it -- an American Lager, haven't been tasting/making beer long enough.  This is why I never bother with the beer ratings sites.

Similarly, my favorite categories to judge are CAT 1 and CAT 2. (Light Lagers and Pilsners).
1) Only the very best brewers and the most naive ones enter them.  This makes judging them either a joy to drink or a quick list of obvious flaws.  Few are in the middle.  Makes judging them pretty quick and usually easy.
2) Nobody else wants to judge them, so I don't have to beg like the 30 guys trying to get the Sours or Strong Belgians.
3) You aren't hammered by lunch
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2016, 06:49:00 pm »
Once you are able to make good beer you need not be anal. I can make good beer without software and terribly precise measurements and not take notes. I don't recommend this if your new or trying to perfect something or dial in a new system of course and this isn't how I brew all the time but I sometimes figure out strike and sparge amounts literally on the back of an envelope, measure water with the marks I etched on my kettles, and add hops based on experience without calculating ibus. And they taste great!

No school like the old school! Amen.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2016, 06:51:43 pm »
never thought about beer styles from a judges point of view, interesting points on being a judge and judging lagers. I like the part about "the best brewers or the most naïve" enter that category. I'll enter one of mine in the next comp I try and see which category I fall in :)

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2016, 07:26:25 pm »
If given the choice between most Belgian beers and a cold can of Milwaukee's Best Light, I will take the MBL 9 times out of 10.