Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What are your "unpopular" brewing opinions  (Read 75072 times)

The Beerery

Re: What are your "unpopular" brewing opinions
« Reply #480 on: January 11, 2017, 06:16:38 pm »
purely anecdotal/subjective evidence, but all of my naturally carbonated beers have stayed fresh significantly longer than the force carbed ones. Force carbed is at it's peak after a week on gas, then a week later starts to fall off noticeably. (Though still far from wet cardboard-y)

Naturally carbed beersvary greatly as to when they reach their peak, from 3 days to 3 months, in my experience. I recently cracked open one of the few remaining bottles of the saison-turned-Belgian Strong Ale (the one I brewed in the spring, that ended up being 10%+) and it still has a nice fresh malty flavor.

You are absolutely correct. The yeast will consume oxygen and leave you with a fresher product. With bottle you will have to fight cap ingress which is quite large actually.

The flavor degradation you speak of I touched on in a recent blog post.
Here
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 06:18:51 pm by The Beerery »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #481 on: January 11, 2017, 06:32:57 pm »
I'm getting confused here. I force carb in the keg. Is that popular? Unpopular?

Big Monk

What are your "unpopular" brewing opinions
« Reply #482 on: January 11, 2017, 06:34:41 pm »

You're good Jim. That's popular. it just isn't recommended by an unpopular group. So in a sense it's unpopular.

Wait now I'm confused.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #483 on: January 11, 2017, 07:02:10 pm »
Negative comments about my beers at brew club meeting because they are not IPAs, sours, fruit or any other molested style of brew. Comments are like: "good but not hoppy enough", "good but I like more funk." WTF is FUNK?
Feeling like an oddball, I quit going. Why can't people appreciate a good regular beer anymore?

Find another club if you can.  Or start your own.
Lots of folks like ALL kinds of beers, not just the hoppy/BIG/crazy stuff.  They are out there.

I like sour beers and brew them quite a bit, but I hate the term "funk".
What about "barnyard", "sweaty", and "horse blanket"?
Brian
mobrewer

Offline Dustin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #484 on: January 11, 2017, 08:54:46 pm »
That NE IPA's are overrated.  There I said it.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #485 on: January 11, 2017, 09:19:58 pm »
I like sour beers and brew them quite a bit, but I hate the term "funk".
What about "barnyard", "sweaty", and "horse blanket"?

All the above terms are more polite than "sheep sh*t".
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Weavz

• 1st Kit
« Reply #486 on: January 12, 2017, 05:13:32 am »
The majority of session beers aren't sessionable, as they hover in the 4-5 percent ABV range. The 3.2 percent beers of my youth and mass-produced light American lagers are truly session beers. Of course, they lack the malt backbone that can support additional hops. ...

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #487 on: January 12, 2017, 07:08:11 am »
Perhaps not an opinion as much as a practice that I doubt is popular. As a bottler, I fill my bottles right to the top so that the beer is almost touching the cap. Almost no headspace. Hard to say if it makes any difference as I haven't done side by side and I'm sure the variability of cap ingress probably wouldn't allow me to conclude anything anyway. Not sure if it makes any difference but it isn't hurting anything as far as I can tell.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #488 on: January 12, 2017, 07:35:58 am »
Perhaps not an opinion as much as a practice that I doubt is popular. As a bottler, I fill my bottles right to the top so that the beer is almost touching the cap. Almost no headspace. Hard to say if it makes any difference as I haven't done side by side and I'm sure the variability of cap ingress probably wouldn't allow me to conclude anything anyway. Not sure if it makes any difference but it isn't hurting anything as far as I can tell.

I don't do this but I don't think it hurts anything either, and I know some other homebrewers agree with you.  It drives me nuts when I'm judging a competition and the other judges write "filled to the top" on top of the score sheet, because this doesn't affect flavor at all as far as I can tell, so their comment is meaningless.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #489 on: January 12, 2017, 07:49:41 am »

Kelsey McNair (multi NHC medalist) does this on his hoppy beers for comps, believing that the reduced/eliminated headspace helps the aromas hold up better. I don't know of any hard science on the idea, but don't see any problem with it either. O2 ingress is obviously gonna happen over time, but maybe in the short term it's helpful. Maybe not. When I bottle hoppy beers from keg, I do the same.
Jon H.

Offline gotedgo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #490 on: January 12, 2017, 08:57:53 am »
My least favorite is a high ABV (above 10%), wood barrel aged sour. I have met a beer I didn't like but I have had some that came pretty close.

Other least favorite would be visiting a brewery and being served by someone who doesn't know difference between lager and ale. So disappointing. :(

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #491 on: January 12, 2017, 09:16:03 am »

with the exception of roughly, 0.0001 percent of professional breweries and about 4 homebrewers I'd say its perfectly popular.

Big Monk

« Reply #492 on: January 12, 2017, 09:45:33 am »

with the exception of roughly, 0.0001 percent of professional breweries and about 4 homebrewers I'd say its perfectly popular.

This is an unpopular opinion. You are good at this.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #493 on: January 12, 2017, 10:18:03 am »
what is the difference between CO2 produced by yeast and CO2 from a tank?

How stinky it is due to impurities!   ;D

There is a very large difference. Denny we have already went over this.  ;)

If you don't brew low oxygen, which maybe 99% of brewers don't, then it won't matter.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #494 on: January 12, 2017, 10:27:47 am »
what is the difference between CO2 produced by yeast and CO2 from a tank?

How stinky it is due to impurities!   ;D

There is a very large difference. Denny we have already went over this.  ;)

If you don't brew low oxygen, which maybe 99% of brewers don't, then it won't matter.

I'm not sure on that. While I'd agree without low oxygen practices spunding may not be required, but naturally carbing in the keg seems like a great way to keep oxidation at bay. There's been almost an arms race to minimize oxygen uptake when transferring/kegging lately, and keg conditioning seems an easy solution.

I'm planning to keg a non-LODO beer within the next week. Plan is to sanitize/purge, add primings, rack the beer, purge headspace, pressurize with whatever PSI matches the temp/carb level, then attack a spunding valve.

Hopefully the little oxygen in the CO2 will get scrubbed by the yeast, and by already pressurizing the keg I can ensure a good seal.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.