Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What are your "unpopular" brewing opinions  (Read 75118 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: What are your "unpopular" brewing opinions
« Reply #510 on: January 12, 2017, 12:17:16 pm »
I don't even like banana flavors in bananas that much.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #511 on: January 12, 2017, 12:18:42 pm »
Here is a potentially unpopular opinion: if your Tripel tastes like a Hefe, you did it wrong.

Ok in that vein, if your Saison tastes and smells like a Belgian Blond or a patersbier, you also did it wrong. I think saison's popularity has grown quicker than some commercial brewers' knowledge of the style. It may not be an unpopular opinion, just venting.

Cant agree with you more. A professional friend of mine says some breweries avoid saisons because the strains are either too finicky to work with, or are so hyperattenuative they fear cross contamination really messing things up. Both of those reasons sound like BS to me if your methods are sound.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #512 on: January 12, 2017, 12:29:35 pm »
I suppose you're just fine with bananas going by the way of the Dodo then? Because they're headed in that direction, sadly.
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #513 on: January 12, 2017, 12:33:05 pm »
Here is a potentially unpopular opinion: if your Tripel tastes like a Hefe, you did it wrong.

Ok in that vein, if your Saison tastes and smells like a Belgian Blond or a patersbier, you also did it wrong. I think saison's popularity has grown quicker than some commercial brewers' knowledge of the style. It may not be an unpopular opinion, just venting.

Cant agree with you more. A professional friend of mine says some breweries avoid saisons because the strains are either too finicky to work with, or are so hyperattenuative they fear cross contamination really messing things up. Both of those reasons sound like BS to me if your methods are sound.

Yeah, that's been my suspicion. Just BS to me. Then don't sell a 'saison', right? Not the end of the world.
Jon H.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #514 on: January 12, 2017, 12:35:32 pm »

Yeah, that's been my suspicion. Just BS to me. Then don't sell a 'saison', right? Not the end of the world.

a new brewery opened up in my area. The head brewer intimated to me that they use the same yeast for their Belgians strong, saison and witbier. It was pretty disappointing.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #515 on: January 12, 2017, 12:36:07 pm »
I suppose you're just fine with bananas going by the way of the Dodo then? Because they're headed in that direction, sadly.
No I don't want that. There just something I like about once a year. Even if I hated them I wouldn't want them extinct. Besides, there so funny! Hello! Hello! Oh wait, this is a banana, not a telephone. I suppose kids these days need a flat, rectangular fruit to pretend to be a phone.
that's my stream of consciousness post for the day. Your welcome.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #516 on: January 12, 2017, 12:41:01 pm »
wait, what the heck is happening with bananas?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #517 on: January 12, 2017, 12:43:46 pm »
a new brewery opened up in my area. The head brewer intimated to me that they use the same yeast for their Belgians strong, saison and witbier. It was pretty disappointing.

I've noticed the same. I think saison is one of the trendy styles du jour. "So let's butcher it for a year, then on to the next thing."
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #518 on: January 12, 2017, 12:46:17 pm »
A fungal disease. Since its a huge monoculture crop, with only one cultivar commercially grown, it may get wiped out.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #519 on: January 12, 2017, 12:47:18 pm »

The types of banana are very limited and once the gene pool gets down to one type (that everyone recognizes here in the US), it will be endangered and risks being wiped out, evidently.

Peter beat me to it - yeah, what he said.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #520 on: January 12, 2017, 12:47:42 pm »
A fungal disease. Since its a huge monoculture crop, with only one cultivar commercially grown, it may get wiped out.

How the hell am I just hearing about this. That really sucks.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #521 on: January 12, 2017, 12:48:07 pm »

I've noticed the same. I think saison is one of the trendy styles du jour. "So let's butcher it for a year, then on to the next thing."

Yup, a local brewer told me their saison is brewed with a blend of wit and "Belgian" strains.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #522 on: January 12, 2017, 12:48:49 pm »

The brewery that opened recently in my town started out with a so-so "farmhouse Ale" but quickly improved it. they moved from a Belgian strain to a French strain to a different Belgian. They are a Farmer Brewery so I think they were pretty dedicated to getting their Farmhouse Ale right.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #523 on: January 12, 2017, 12:53:21 pm »

How the hell am I just hearing about this. That really sucks.

And Y2K might spark a nuclear war, and aliens might take over the planet, and Donald Trump might become president.

Pffft, don't worry about it!  ;)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #524 on: January 12, 2017, 12:56:11 pm »

The brewery that opened recently in my town started out with a so-so "farmhouse Ale" but quickly improved it. they moved from a Belgian strain to a French strain to a different Belgian. They are a Farmer Brewery so I think they were pretty dedicated to getting their Farmhouse Ale right.

Awesome. That's how it should be.
Jon H.