Author Topic: What are your "unpopular" brewing opinions  (Read 41723 times)

Offline Kutaka

• Cellarman
Re: What are your "unpopular" brewing opinions
« Reply #570 on: January 21, 2017, 01:23:22 AM »
I played a drinking game with this thread.  I drank every time someone was wrong about beer.  Current status is DRUNK.  Might need to call for an ambulance.

Offline Megary

• Brewer
« Reply #571 on: May 31, 2020, 01:49:07 AM »
pete b on the potential demise of the banana:
No I don't want that. There just something I like about once a year. Even if I hated them I wouldn't want them extinct. Besides, there so funny! Hello! Hello! Oh wait, this is a banana, not a telephone. I suppose kids these days need a flat, rectangular fruit to pretend to be a phone.
that's my stream of consciousness post for the day. Your welcome.

The quote above takes the cake.

The total tonnage of hours I just wasted reading this most ridiculous thread is enough to shatter...never mind.  It was way before my time here, but how did this ever end??

Ladies and gentlemen, my time spent during Covid operations, 2020.

Offline fredthecat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #572 on: May 31, 2020, 04:10:41 AM »
i've secondaried 95% of all my beers and continue to do so.

i find it helps with clarity and settling so much, the tradeoff is a slightly more oxidized taste that is perceptible.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #573 on: May 31, 2020, 02:12:00 PM »

i find it helps with clarity and settling so much, the tradeoff is a slightly more oxidized taste that is perceptible.

So how do you reconcile the fact that so many of us can make crystal clear beers without it?  I found skipping secondary had no effect on clarity.  Any idea what the difference is?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narvin

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #574 on: May 31, 2020, 05:19:51 PM »

So how do you reconcile the fact that so many of us can make crystal clear beers without it?  I found skipping secondary had no effect on clarity.  Any idea what the difference is?

+1
Largering (or even just cold crashing quickly) helps a ton with clarity but I don't see any difference whether I rack from the primary first or not.
Please do not reply if your[sic] an evil alien!
Thanks

Offline erockrph

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #575 on: May 31, 2020, 06:35:55 PM »

+1
Largering (or even just cold crashing quickly) helps a ton with clarity but I don't see any difference whether I rack from the primary first or not.
Agreed. My "secondary" is the serving keg or bottles.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline fredthecat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #576 on: June 01, 2020, 06:27:07 AM »

i thought this was a non-judgemental "unpopular" brewing opinions thread lol

With my setup it helps clarification. I guess for someone like you, to whom cost is no object, you can cold crash any beer you want.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #577 on: June 01, 2020, 10:39:45 AM »
No I don't want that. There just something I like about once a year. Even if I hated them I wouldn't want them extinct. Besides, there so funny! Hello! Hello! Oh wait, this is a banana, not a telephone. I suppose kids these days need a flat, rectangular fruit to pretend to be a phone.

The total tonnage of hours I just wasted reading this most ridiculous thread is enough to shatter...never mind.  It was way before my time here, but how did this ever end??

Apparently on January 12, 2017 I had a few beers.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline goose

• Brewmaster
« Reply #578 on: June 01, 2020, 01:03:08 PM »
OK, I'll chime in here.

I really do not like having to show people who believe that if a beer is dark in color it must be a really heavy beer (e.g. an imperial stout) is a false assumption.  One of my friends refers to all of my darker beers as "motor oil".  I have repeatedly given these people some examples that are darker in color but have a lighter body to prove my point. but I still can't convince many of them otherwise.  I guess it is the light American Lager syndrome that has brainwashed them.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified
AHA Governing Committee Member

Offline Megary

• Brewer
« Reply #579 on: June 01, 2020, 01:32:16 PM »

Apparently on January 12, 2017 I had a few beers.

;D

Offline MattyAHA

• Brewer
« Reply #580 on: June 01, 2020, 01:36:50 PM »
from my experience hitting exact temps during fermentation are not as important as some of us think, that's a pretty unpopular opinion
Matty

"This sweet nectar was my life blood"-  Phil "Landfill" krundle

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #581 on: June 01, 2020, 01:53:15 PM »

With my setup it helps clarification. I guess for someone like you, to whom cost is no object, you can cold crash any beer you want.

My comment was totally non judgemental.  And I assure you, cost is an object for me.  Even before I had the ability to cold crash I didn't use secondary. My question was completely straightforward....why do you think that no secondary works for so many but not you?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narvin

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #582 on: June 01, 2020, 02:54:58 PM »

Fair, I just reread the rules and retract my comment!
Please do not reply if your[sic] an evil alien!
Thanks

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #583 on: June 01, 2020, 03:26:33 PM »
OK, I'll chime in here.

I really do not like having to show people who believe that if a beer is dark in color it must be a really heavy beer (e.g. an imperial stout) is a false assumption.  One of my friends refers to all of my darker beers as "motor oil".  I have repeatedly given these people some examples that are darker in color but have a lighter body to prove my point. but I still can't convince many of them otherwise.  I guess it is the light American Lager syndrome that has brainwashed them.

I'd love to have a dollar for every time I've heard someone say "I don't like dark beer". With age though perhaps come a smidgen of wisdom, I've finally given up trying to enlighten all those poor ignorant souls, it was like chasing parked cars.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Descardeci

• Cellarman
« Reply #584 on: June 01, 2020, 04:36:40 PM »
OK, I'll chime in here.

I'd love to have a dollar for every time I've heard someone say "I don't like dark beer". With age though perhaps come a smidgen of wisdom, I've finally given up trying to enlighten all those poor ignorant souls, it was like chasing parked cars.
Nice one Visor, hope you and all the other brewer are doing well in this time.
Hey can you recommend a good style for one that is not a fan of dark beer? The only one I love and brew with some frequence is a dark mild, my country is too damn hot for a some dark beer, but I did a 3 gallon batch of english porter, really good, but not my cup of tea