Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Batch adjustemts  (Read 1146 times)

Offline JohnnyC

• Cellarman
Batch adjustemts
« on: January 09, 2017, 01:00:49 pm »
I've changed to 10 gallon batches and my manual systems of batch sparging needs to go (I'm getting older & grayer everyday). I'm considering doing full volume mashes in my cooler, as most of my recipes will be well below its capacity, and using a pump to move the strike water from my keg/brew pot to the cooler. I use a false bottom in my cooler so can't crush as fine as BIAB. What hit (if any) can I expect on my efficiency doing a no sparge, full volume mash? I'm usually around 75% mash efficiency.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
Re: Batch adjustemts
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 02:05:27 pm »
I used to do single pot BIAB, and would typically get 70-75% efficiency.  I would crush pretty fine though.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 02:09:24 pm »
I've changed to 10 gallon batches and my manual systems of batch sparging needs to go (I'm getting older & grayer everyday). I'm considering doing full volume mashes in my cooler, as most of my recipes will be well below its capacity, and using a pump to move the strike water from my keg/brew pot to the cooler. I use a false bottom in my cooler so can't crush as fine as BIAB. What hit (if any) can I expect on my efficiency doing a no sparge, full volume mash? I'm usually around 75% mash efficiency.

I did something similar for the same reasons.
I have lost around 5% in mash efficiency, well actually the mash is just as efficient, the percentage of extract is what fell. But I decided it was worth it for me.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline pkrone

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 03:59:08 pm »
I'd expect a 5-10% drop.   And then maybe a degree of recovery after you get the new method dialed in.
I like beer.  I like to make beer.   I don't like to argue about beer or making beer.