Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Diacetyl rest left too late?  (Read 9294 times)

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
Re: Diacetyl rest left too late?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 09:07:10 am »
Very true.  Like he said, I wouldn't chill it down now.  Definitely, give it some more time for the yeast to fully do whatever they are going to do. 

I have certainly gone the other way with it, and thought things were all done and good and chilled/packaged only to find out after that it probably could have used another week.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 09:09:13 am by natebrews »
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 09:36:58 am »
Every time I have suspected diacetyl but wasn't sure, there was ultimately diacetyl.

I would leave the beer on the yeast and warm for another week. You can also very gently stir the yeast into suspension. That will allow more yeast cells a chance to consume the diacetyl. Be careful not to oxidize the beer though.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 11:47:04 pm »
Every time I have suspected diacetyl but wasn't sure, there was ultimately diacetyl.

I would leave the beer on the yeast and warm for another week. You can also very gently stir the yeast into suspension. That will allow more yeast cells a chance to consume the diacetyl. Be careful not to oxidize the beer though.

+1
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2017, 07:09:26 am »
I disagree with the others posting that the yeast will clean up diacetyl once active fermentation has stopped. They may clean up some, but they won't be able to clean it all if the yeast have thrown a lot of diacetyl.

Try krausening, this usually clears the beer of diacetyl and is very traditional in German breweries using traditional lageirng techniques. Take a small amount of krausen from an actively fermenting beer (preferably a lager or a clean fermenting ale yeast) and pitch it in your beer. Alternatively make a small starter and pitch active in your beer (dry lager yeast would work fine for this).The active yeast should clean up the diacetyl.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 12:10:54 pm »
I disagree with the others posting that the yeast will clean up diacetyl once active fermentation has stopped. They may clean up some, but they won't be able to clean it all if the yeast have thrown a lot of diacetyl.

Try krausening, this usually clears the beer of diacetyl and is very traditional in German breweries using traditional lageirng techniques. Take a small amount of krausen from an actively fermenting beer (preferably a lager or a clean fermenting ale yeast) and pitch it in your beer. Alternatively make a small starter and pitch active in your beer (dry lager yeast would work fine for this).The active yeast should clean up the diacetyl.
To me, I have experienced diacetyl in 2 ways.

Case 1: When I sample the beer very early after fermentation has ended and there is a slight butter taste and slickness. This often occurs (in my experience) with yeasts that flocculate fast. In this case, patience is often enough to clean up the diacetyl.

Case 2: The beer has a ton of diacetyl from some brewing error on my part. In this case, adding a krausen beer at 10% of the total volume of the beer which needs rescuing has worked for me to clean up the diacetyl.

It's hard to know which case you have without lots of experience. But if you wait a week and still have artificial butter flavors, then don't package, take the time to krausen. Diacetyl gets worse in the keg/bottle.

PS. I can't stand the butter flavor in beer.  At Universal Studios (theme park) in Florida they sell Butter Beer in the Harry Potter parts of the park. The idea disgusts me. I passed. I did get a Duff beer in the Simpson's part of park though. Not so good, but, fun.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 08:13:31 am »
Another very viable option for home brewers when you make any mistake that results in a less than excellent beer is to dump it and brew again, minus the mistake

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 08:42:17 am »
I have a current pilsner on with 34/70 that had some pretty funky off flavors that I couldn't identify for the first couple of weeks. It has improved dramatically and is pretty tasty now. Try not too worry to much. Just give it some time after you package and it will likely improve. I tend to worry too much about how a beer is tasting when it is really young only to be quite satisfied when it is finished and of appropriate age.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale