Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Studying the differences in hops and malts  (Read 1525 times)

Offline atscott

• 1st Kit
Studying the differences in hops and malts
« on: January 01, 2017, 06:57:11 pm »
Does anyone know some beers I can find that have very similar/the same grain bill but different hop varieties or hop schedules to taste test and learn what kind of flavor/aroma differences this small change can create? I also have the same question for brews with the same hops but different grain bills. I might also try brewing a couple small batches with these slight variances if anyone has recipe ideas.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Studying the differences in hops and malts
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 12:06:29 am »
A while back, Boston Brewing deconstructed their Latitude 48 IPA, making single hopped versions with each of the 4 or5 hops the normal version featured. I actually believe they did it twice. Unfortunately, it appears that they discontinued Latitude 48. Shame, because I thought that it was their best beer and it would have given you 5 examples of the same beer with different hops.

Firestone Walker makes a beer called Luponic Distortion in which they use different experimental hops in each batch. Russian River brews Hop2It with different single hops from batch to batch. Westbrook Brewing does a Rye Pale Ale with different single hop varieties as well. Wolverine Brewing does a lager with different hops each batch too. I'm sure there are others as well. Not sure how often any of these breweries change the hops in these beers or how available any of them are where you live.

I really think small batch SMASH brews would be your best bet. I'm thinking a couple pounds of light DME, a single hop and a clean yeast would be quick for different hops. A wimpy pale ale with maybe cascade throughout would probably be good for different base malts.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 11:38:46 am »
Something like this is kind of a handy option for tasting the differences in the hops: https://webgram.co/p/BOsURSHh7zq

Offline atscott

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 01:38:14 pm »
Thanks for the advice - that's super helpful!

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 06:04:26 am »
I will start of with the disclaimer that I in no way tried this myself...

I once read an article where the author would take a twelve pack of bud light/a light pale beer, pop the top and add a pellet or two of a certain hop variety and reseal. the idea being that you could test out different dry hop aromas on a very small scale.

I have also done some small scale test batches and it can be quite fun. A pound or so of pale DME with a very neutral bittering hop and a little over a gallon of water. you don't have to boil for long, just enough for little bitterness, then hop late and dry hop with your desired hops, maybe a half hour each. I  think I cranked out 4 1 gallon batches in a few hours, or just go stove top and do a batch a night after dinner for a week. The batches should ferment fairly quickly and each gallon will give you just shy of a twelve pack.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 06:09:40 am »
I have also done some small scale test batches and it can be quite fun. A pound or so of pale DME with a very neutral bittering hop and a little over a gallon of water. you don't have to boil for long, just enough for little bitterness, then hop late and dry hop with your desired hops, maybe a half hour each.

I do it all the time to test out new hops. Pretty fun.                     
Jon H.