Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Excerpts from DeClerck's "A Textbook of Brewing"  (Read 7654 times)

Big Monk

Re: Excerpts from DeClerck's "A Textbook of Brewing"
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2017, 06:13:29 pm »
I've contacted Siebel to see who owns the copyright for the text.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note: assuming they do, don't rule out that a polite request would allow you to reproduce a few pages online. I've worked on licensing projects for books, and found that what my mother taught me ("Please and thank you are the magic words") opens a lot of doors.

My real goal is to assemble a PDF of the numerous excerpts that are referenced throughout brewing literature. One of the reasons I bought the text was out of frustration over seeing it referenced so many times and not being able to trace it back to DeClerck.

The publisher might really like that! You're doing the sort of work for a monograph that is now taken for granted for academic journals.

Chapman and Hall is defunct and if I follow the lineage correctly they were bought out by CRC.

The original release info for Siebel's 1994 reprint does not mention a publisher, only that permission was granted by the DeClerck family for the project. So I'm unsure what, if any agency, actually owns the rights to the text, which itself was an English translation of DeClerck's "Cours de Brasserie", a collection of DeClerck's professional materials and Louvain lectures. So it may be that since this material was formed from DeClerck's academic lectures, that the DeClerck family holds the rights to all of it.

narvin

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2017, 06:55:13 pm »
I asked for, and received (thanks wife!) the Siebel printing a year ago for Christmas.  It's amazing how much modern brewing science was known 60+ years ago.  Its probably best used as a historical reference at this point, but if you have any interest it's worth buying.

Big Monk

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2017, 07:05:15 pm »
I asked for, and received (thanks wife!) the Siebel printing a year ago for Christmas.  It's amazing how much modern brewing science was known 60+ years ago.  Its probably best used as a historical reference at this point, but if you have any interest it's worth buying.

Some of it seems dated but it's really just the basic idea of things we know now without the depth. He nails many modern brewing ideas at a high level. There is a reason references to it in materials that followed it are nearly ubiquitous.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Excerpts from DeClerck's "A Textbook of Brewing"
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2017, 07:56:32 pm »
My guess is the copyright owner isn't too concerned with money considering the price of the Siebel editions. $75 for two nicely bound text books is a steal. Considering the small market for these books, Siebel wouldn't be able to offer it at this price if they had to pay a hefty license.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 10:19:10 pm by Stevie »

Big Monk

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2017, 09:18:12 pm »
My guess is the copyright owner isn't too concerned with money considering the price of the Siebel editions. $75 for two Nicky bound text books is a steal. Considering the small market for these books, Siebel wouldn't be able to offer it at this price if they had to pay a hefty license.

My 1st edition (1957) volume 1 was $25. I'm trying to find its mate.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2017, 09:00:05 am »
Google has scanned the Siebel edition and it's in HathiTrust, but it's search only.
https://catalog.hathitrust.org/api/volumes/oclc/316822991.html

HathiTrust can open access if the copyright holder agrees. So the trick is finding who holds it. The downside of HathiTrust is that you have to be affiliated with a member library to download entire books as PDFs. Anyone can get a page at a time.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2017, 02:46:24 pm »
My guess is the copyright owner isn't too concerned with money considering the price of the Siebel editions. $75 for two nicely bound text books is a steal. Considering the small market for these books, Siebel wouldn't be able to offer it at this price if they had to pay a hefty license.

Especially true where the use is not for commercial gain, as here - why would anyone object (though I appreciate that the holder of the copyright, however loosely guarded, could object to photocopies)? 

Now the Kunze book through Siebel is pricey!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

The Beerery

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2017, 02:49:30 pm »

Especially true where the use is not for commercial gain, as here - why would anyone object (though I appreciate that the holder of the copyright, however loosely guarded, could object to photocopies)? 

Now the Kunze book through Siebel is pricey!

Are you looking into Kunze?

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2017, 02:53:15 pm »
I considered it, but then saw the Siebel price and thought that I would need special spousal dispensation to swing that price...but I am sure it is worth it to a pro!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Big Monk

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2017, 04:48:34 pm »
Siebel got back to me and the DeClerck family is the copyright holder. Siebel merely has the right to reprint the text. That explains the price. They likely only recoup the expense of printing with the $75.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2017, 07:41:24 am »
Siebel got back to me and the DeClerck family is the copyright holder. Siebel merely has the right to reprint the text. That explains the price. They likely only recoup the expense of printing with the $75.

Given the original task, copyright shouldn't be relevant, unless I'm misreading what the OP wants to do.

If the idea is to provide clear references for other books where the De Clerck book is quoted, one approach would be to create a bibliography listing those books, and then providing snippets from those books (a quoted sentence or two) with the correct pagination from De Clerck. Where De Clerck is cited but no reference is found... state that too.

One possible way to do this is to create a page that begins at the top with a crisp citation for your copy of De Clerck and then briefly note that this book is available in multiple imprints for different years (which appears to be the case; not sure about actual editions, but text can change even without edition changes). Then list the references alphabetically followed by the added references.

Nabisco, R.J. (1999). A handbook of cereal technology. New York: Cheerio Press.
"Reduction of enzymes in the production of breakfast cereal is similar to that used in the mashing process described in DeClerck's handbook (p. 342)." See De Clerck (1957), Chapter 7, pp. 50-59.

Or maybe I'm missing the goal here? Note, I'm rushing to get to work but I had trouble finding an English-language Wikipedia entry for Jean. Found it in other languages, though. That would be very useful. A virtual Wikipedia Edit-a-Thon for brewing people, technologies, and history could be an interesting activity.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Big Monk

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2017, 08:04:23 am »
I really didn't have an original goal with this thread other than to post interesting excerpts from my new (err old) book.

Where it got dodgy was when I started posting large chunks of the text, in picture form, on this thread. That's when people stepped in to make sure I wasn't doing anything unethical or illegal.

I've started compiling snippets related to references over seen of DeClerck in other papers/texts and will plan on putting them together in the near future.

There is no English WP entry for DeClerck as far as I know.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2017, 01:08:05 pm »
I really didn't have an original goal with this thread other than to post interesting excerpts from my new (err old) book.

Where it got dodgy was when I started posting large chunks of the text, in picture form, on this thread. That's when people stepped in to make sure I wasn't doing anything unethical or illegal.

I've started compiling snippets related to references over seen of DeClerck in other papers/texts and will plan on putting them together in the near future.

There is no English WP entry for DeClerck as far as I know.

Oh, ok. I thought there was a goal to clarify poorly-cited references to de Clerck. Maybe that was in my head, as a librarian ;-)
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Big Monk

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2017, 02:03:33 pm »
I suggested that after the fact. That was my ultimate intent.