Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NEIPA Fermentation Stall  (Read 3585 times)

Offline Bobert3222

• 1st Kit
NEIPA Fermentation Stall
« on: January 04, 2017, 07:02:40 am »
Hi guys, new to the forum here and AHA in general.  I think this is the right place to post though!

2 days ago I brewed up a NEIPA.  This was my first go at it, and actually had double batched that day.  Different recipes but similar process.  The first, was a single ipa, where the second was a double.  Another big difference between the 2 (sort of) is the first batch was the yeast used; Wyeast London Ale III and WL007.  The WL007 was one of the newer style packaging- not sure if that matters to anyone.  Everything was thoroughly sanitized. 

I think my question is really rooted in how much of an impact do hops that make it through the chiller have on the yeast?  For example is it possible that excessive hops running through the chiller and into the fermenter, for it to flocc the yeast prematurely and stall it out in the bottom of the fermenter? 

I dont have another WL007 on hand but i do have Wyeast LA3 that I might just pop and dump to see what happens. 

Thanks for any insight! -- and any other questions please let me know.  I don't have my recipes right in front of me, but when I get home from work I can elaborate further. 

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: NEIPA Fermentation Stall
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 08:10:02 am »
I can't say I've heard of too much hops causing a fermentation to stall out.  I don't think that's a "thing."

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 08:21:35 am »
Why do you think it has stalled? Have you checked the gravity?

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 08:30:12 am »
Why do you think it has stalled? Have you checked the gravity?
yeas, and what exactly is it doing/ not doing. It need not be doing the exact same thing as the other yeast, or start as soon.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 08:38:20 am »
First, if your fermentation stalled, it wasn't from the hops. 007/1098 is usually a workhorse and ferments fine for me. Are you able to control fermentation temps,ie., did fermentation temps go down several degrees during fermentation? Secondly, though I know the new WL pure pitch is supposedly pretty active when fresh, one package may have been an underpitch depending on your starting OG. Post your recipe and we can be more help.
Jon H.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 08:49:35 am »
How are you judging that it's stalled, and what temp are you fermenting at?
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline Bobert3222

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 01:07:18 pm »
Thanks for the replies so far!  By stalled/not started I mean no bubbling. At all. The single is working right away.  Temps are pretty consistently at 65 to 66, which I didn't think was too out of range.  I can get some more recipe details when I get home

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 01:25:54 pm »
pop the top on your fermenter. I think you will be surprised to see a big old krausen. Bubbles do not indicate active fermentation, gravity readings and yeast activity do.

Offline Bobert3222

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 02:32:30 pm »
It does appear there is krausen forming.  I guess it is peculiar to me because this is the first beer I haven't noticed any blow off of co2 on.  Is it worth it to pitch more yeast or let it ride?  OG is at 1.065 also

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 03:31:06 pm »
It does appear there is krausen forming.  I guess it is peculiar to me because this is the first beer I haven't noticed any blow off of co2 on.  Is it worth it to pitch more yeast or let it ride?  OG is at 1.065 also

leave it alone. take a gravity measurement in a week or so. If there is krausen and you aren't seeing airlock activity, theres a good chance your fermenter isn't forming a tight seal. RDWHAHB.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 03:31:22 pm »

I'd just let it ride.
Dom

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 03:38:56 pm »

I'd just let it ride.

Yep, same here. Maybe re-sealing the lid or stopper will let it hold enough pressure to show in the airlock this time.
Jon H.

Offline Bobert3222

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 04:26:40 pm »
Excellence!  I shall do just that.  I'll grab a new gasket too to see if that aids in the process.  I shall report back with updates.

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 08:40:13 pm »

leave it alone. take a gravity measurement in a week or so. If there is krausen and you aren't seeing airlock activity, theres a good chance your fermenter isn't forming a tight seal. RDWHAHB.
^This.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 04:56:10 am »
Excellence!  I shall do just that.  I'll grab a new gasket too to see if that aids in the process.  I shall report back with updates.

Many people open ferment, especially over here in the UK.  As long as dust can't get to your brew, things are generally fine.  I wouldn't worry too much about ensuring that your fermenter is completely airtight.
Dom