Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coleman 52 quart conversion to mash tun?  (Read 8874 times)

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
    • My new Brewing Website - Totally Brewed Co
Coleman 52 quart conversion to mash tun?
« on: January 04, 2017, 09:41:13 am »
Has anyone converted this https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-52-Quart-Xtreme-Cooler/dp/B000G33YWM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483547976&sr=8-1&keywords=52+quart+coleman+extreme+cooler cooler to a mash tun? I've seen other conversions but not for this one specifically.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Coleman 52 quart conversion to mash tun?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 09:47:46 am »
Has anyone converted this https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-52-Quart-Xtreme-Cooler/dp/B000G33YWM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483547976&sr=8-1&keywords=52+quart+coleman+extreme+cooler cooler to a mash tun? I've seen other conversions but not for this one specifically.

Yep, I have one. I used a braid with a bulkhead/valve conversion for years. I recently pulled the braid in favor of one of these - love the results so far.

http://www.brewinabag.com/collections/frontpage/products/copy-of-the-brew-bag-a-mash-tun-filter-for-coolers-rectangular
Jon H.

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 10:11:36 am »
does the braided hose act as the filter?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 10:15:17 am »
does the braided hose act as the filter?

Yeah, it does and works pretty well. But since I made the change to the custom cooler bag, there was no need for a braid since the bag is a very fine mesh.
Jon H.

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 10:25:53 am »
im brewing on a budget and i cant afford the bag too at this point.  I see many conversions of the round igloo cooler but not the square 52 quart

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 10:28:25 am »
I see many conversions of the round igloo cooler but not the square 52 quart

Many brewers here use rectangular coolers including Denny (has to be blue for optimum performance, though). They work great. The Extreme hold temp really well, as I'm sure most of the others do.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 11:49:17 am »
im brewing on a budget and i cant afford the bag too at this point.  I see many conversions of the round igloo cooler but not the square 52 quart

You need the Cheap'n'Easy system...www.dennybrew.com
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 12:05:45 pm »

that's what I use. I got mine on sale at Walmart. It works fine, my only complaint is that due to its large size, very low gravity 5 gallon grain bills are spread very thin and lose more temperature during the mash.

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 01:29:55 pm »
Since it's blue and not red, it will make crummy beer ;)

In seriousness, this cooler has been used by many and should not disappoint. As for the screen/filter I found a good steal on a stainless steel braided hose made for water heaters. It worked much better and was a lot cheaper than the SS ones made for toilets etc. Don't be afraid to ask and look around, I think I made my mash tun for $30 including cooler, line and ball valve.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 01:40:44 pm »
I have that same cooler and have been using it for years with a bulkhead conversion and a stainless steel toilet line braid.

It has worked very well.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 02:25:09 pm »
I have that same cooler and have been using it for years with a bulkhead conversion and a stainless steel toilet line braid.

It has worked very well.

Paul

If the OP really wants to save money, he can skip the bulkhead.  Not only is my method less expensive, I found it works better than a bulkhead.  I used one for a few brews then went back to the bung/valve setup.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bmilford

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 04:38:06 pm »
You can buy a large shear curtain for less than $10 and just drape it over the sides of the cooler. Gather it together and tie a rope around it to hoist it out to drain the cooler.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 06:21:11 pm »

In seriousness, this cooler has been used by many and should not disappoint. As for the screen/filter I found a good steal on a stainless steel braided hose made for water heaters. It worked much better and was a lot cheaper than the SS ones made for toilets etc. Don't be afraid to ask and look around, I think I made my mash tun for $30 including cooler, line and ball valve.

How did you do that?  So  far I can get the cooler for $22, the bulkhead and extra pieces for $30 and then the bazooka screen for $8

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 05:42:19 am »

How did you do that?  So  far I can get the cooler for $22, the bulkhead and extra pieces for $30 and then the bazooka screen for $8

I got my cooler, a 44 Qt Coleman, on sale for 18.99, the SS braid (large water heater style) was clearance for $3, and I use a brass ball valve/nipple which was around 5-6 bucks. If you wanted to go all stainless, Check out Bargainfittings.com, they always have super low prices on SS fitting for all sorts of brewing needs, but you'll have to account for shipping. It was really just a matter of shopping around local hardware and big box stores for deals/coupons etc.

Denny's system would probably be even cheaper, especially if you don't want to bother with building a bulkhead style system for a metal ball valve as it's really not necessary.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 05:44:42 am by 802Chris »

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 03:34:27 pm »

It has worked very well.

Paul

If the OP really wants to save money, he can skip the bulkhead.  Not only is my method less expensive, I found it works better than a bulkhead.  I used one for a few brews then went back to the bung/valve setup.

I can't disagree.

I built mine with a bulkhead and have never tried using it with anything else.

The bulkhead can cause the inner liner of the cooler to crack if over tightened.  You also may get a very small amount of leakage around the seals that I have never found a permanent way to fix.  I've never seen more than a teaspoon on any given brew day (I've had cars that leak more oil daily than that  :) ).

All in all it works but isn't perfect. 

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?