Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: wheat beer  (Read 2299 times)

Offline jrhomebrewing

• Cellarman
wheat beer
« on: January 04, 2017, 12:10:54 pm »
I am wanting to make a wheat beer and want your help and opinions on the recipe I came up with. This will be my first wheat beer iv made. I dont want a really strong bread taste just a hint.
7 lbs 2 row
4 lbs white wheat
4 oz biscuit
Mash at 152 for 90 mins
and boil for 90 mins

1 oz Willamette at 60
.5 oz cascade at 15

Wyeast American wheat 1010

I am thinking about adding 1 oz of lime zest in the secondary is this a good idea or not? Can you order dried lime zest or would it be better to use fresh or dried it myself? How would you make sure that it doesn't infect the beer? I also dont want this to be over powering just a slight hint of it. Or is there different fruit you would recommend. However I dont want to use orange but I am willing to use anything and everything else. Or any spices to make this a unique brew.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 12:13:48 pm by JoelValach »

Offline nilsson_martin

• 1st Kit
Re: wheat beer
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 12:35:52 pm »
Go all in and brew a weizen, drop the bisquit and switch the ratio for 2 row and wheat. Ferment in the higher end of recomended temp to get the awesome banana tone. Prime the bottles to reach 3.5-4.0 units of co2.

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

Offline jrhomebrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 12:43:04 pm »
Nilsson_martin

how much 2 row and wheat would you use if i brew a weaken? what temp would you ferment at to get the banana tones? Would you still use the same amount of hops? what about adding lime or anything to the secondary?

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 12:48:06 pm »
I agree with dropping th e biscuit malt, and flipping the ratio of 2 row to wheat. You don't need a 90 minute mash; 60min will do fine, as will a 60min boil. I would also add a half pound of rice hulls to prevent a stuck sparge.

Scrub the bejeezus out of your limes, the sanitize them and what I hope will be a microplane zester. You should have no issues with infection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline nilsson_martin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 01:02:20 pm »
For my last weizen I used Safbrew wb-06 and fermented at 21°C (69°F) and got good banana tones. I'm not sure if it is a generall caracteristics of wheat  yeast (dry and fluid) that fermentation in the lower recomended temp gives clove tones and the higher banana tones. Good luck

Offline nilsson_martin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 01:05:04 pm »
According to german standards a weizen is brewed with at least 51% wheat, otherwise it's a weissbier. I'd go for a 60-40 ratio.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 01:08:42 pm »
Mash and boil for 60 minutes each.  90 minutes is overkill IMHO.

Lime or other citrus zest is best added at the end of fermentation in the form of a vodka tincture.  I have done this with great success.  Zest a fresh fruit, soak in a couple ounces of vodka for at least 6 hours or overnight, then add the flavored vodka to your batch a little at a time before packaging until it tastes to your liking.  The vodka extracts the flavors and aromas AND sanitizes all at the same time.

Cheers.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 03:24:35 pm »
Replace the cascade with wakatu: "Its nicely balanced oil profile gives it an understated floral aroma atop pungent fresh lime".
I am planning a coconut wheat that I'll be using wakatu to finish.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 03:26:09 pm by Steve Ruch »
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline jrhomebrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 06:37:05 pm »
Oh wakatu hops sounds interesting! I will try them! Coconut sounds good! Do you add that to the secondary? how much do you use? How much lime extract would you guys guess I'd have to use to 5 gals. Is it ok just using 7 lbs of white wheat and 4 lbs 2 row or would you recommend adding something else? What's your guys opinion on mashing and boiling for 90 mins. Does it make a difference or pros and cons or is it just a waste of time like dmtaylot mentioned.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 09:37:10 pm by JoelValach »

Offline nilsson_martin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 11:12:58 pm »
I'm with dmtaylor regarding time: 60 min boil, more is a waste of time and water. Are you aiming for clear or cloudy beer? If the you're going for the latter the only addition I would use is some kind of clarifying product.
I mash in at 143°F, keep it for 30 mins, 161°F for 30 mins mash-out at 172°F and lauter for about one hour. I like my weizen cloudy so I prime the bottle and make sure to swirl the bottle mid pitch to get all the yeast in the glass.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 07:41:52 am »
Sound like you want an American Wheat?

I would keep it simple on your first attempt and go from there

50% 2 row or pale malt
50% wheat

hop similarly to how you have it for 20-25 IBU and use the WY1010.

60 min mash, 60 min boil
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 09:27:26 am »
If you can find uglifruit the zest works really well in an American wheat.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 09:44:58 am »
Oh wakatu hops sounds interesting! I will try them! Coconut sounds good! Do you add that to the secondary? how much do you use? How much lime extract would you guys guess I'd have to use to 5 gals. Is it ok just using 7 lbs of white wheat and 4 lbs 2 row or would you recommend adding something else? What's your guys opinion on mashing and boiling for 90 mins. Does it make a difference or pros and cons or is it just a waste of time like dmtaylot mentioned.

I add the coconut to the secondary (one of the few I do). I used 8 ozs. in two gallons.
I added some lime zest also.
Just white wheat and 2-row works.
I boil and mash for 45 minutes on most of my beers.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women