Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Recomendations On Using Gelatin To Clarify  (Read 5815 times)

Offline Steve533

• 1st Kit
  • You only get out what you put in.
Recomendations On Using Gelatin To Clarify
« on: January 04, 2017, 01:13:10 pm »
I have a 5 gal batch almost ready to keg. I want try crashing the primary and after cooling, rack to a secondary tub to which I plan to add the 1/2 tsp unflavored gelatin dissolved in 1/2 cup 160 deg water. My plan is to keep the beer in the secondary for a day or so and rack into the keg. Please provide comments and or suggestions.
Steve
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 02:36:28 pm by Steve533 »
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Recomendations On Using Gelatin To Clarify
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 01:22:48 pm »
I would skip the secondary and either crash in primary, then gelatin OR crash in primary then rack onto gelatin mix in keg. Save time/sanitation/etc.

Offline hpcharter

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 05:52:01 pm »
I would skip the secondary and either crash in primary, then gelatin OR crash in primary then rack onto gelatin mix in keg. Save time/sanitation/etc.
Agreed. I always crash and gelatin in primary if not reusing the yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 06:44:35 pm »
If it's a typical ale, I also recommend skipping the secondary. Not necessary. Simply cold-crash in the primary, and add the gelatin the day after cold crashing. But I'd give it at least a few days to clarify--the longer it sits in cold crash with gelatin, the clearer it will be. When you heat that gelatin mix to ~160, by the way, it smells like a pig's ass, so be prepared. The flavor/smell doesn't transfer to the finished beer (but I've always waited at least three days, I can't say if it will given a shorter time).

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 08:01:04 am »
I don't have a good way to cold crash a fermenter, so I use a cornie as sort of a "bright tank." I have one cornie with a shortened dip tube.  I rack the beer into and chill, then I add the gelatin.  After a few days I transfer the bright beer to another keg with a liquid to liquid jumper line.  Works great.
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 09:56:38 pm »
I add gelatin in the keg. I crash in the primary, then rack the cold beer into the keg with the gelatin. Once the beer is carbed up, I blow out the gunk.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 04:18:44 pm »
I add gelatin in the keg. I crash in the primary, then rack the cold beer into the keg with the gelatin. Once the beer is carbed up, I blow out the gunk.

How much gelatin per gallon? Is there a benefit besides having  beautiful beer?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 04:35:25 pm »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 06:55:01 pm »

My procedure as well when not hanging on to the yeast. 

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 09:02:40 pm »
If it's a typical ale, I also recommend skipping the secondary. Not necessary. Simply cold-crash in the primary, and add the gelatin the day after cold crashing. But I'd give it at least a few days to clarify--the longer it sits in cold crash with gelatin, the clearer it will be. When you heat that gelatin mix to ~160, by the way, it smells like a pig's ass, so be prepared. The flavor/smell doesn't transfer to the finished beer (but I've always waited at least three days, I can't say if it will given a shorter time).
Well...I have never gotten that close to a pig's ass, so I can't comment.  :D   But it works best if you can get the beer down to less than 38F before gelatin and wait a day or two after.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 08:53:08 am »
I can't add any knowledge to the above discussion, but to say I got in a hurry recently and paid the price.

I made a porter with Mangrove Jacks M42 and fermented it for 14 days.  Checked FG two days apart and it was identical.  Because I wanted to take some to an upcoming family reunion I didn't properly cold crash it.  As soon as I got the identical FG readings, I unplugged the temp controller on my fridge and turned it back to max cold, but bottled the next morning.  But, 5 gal of the good stuff doesn't cool that rapidly and cold crashing takes time.

Lots of traub!  The last bottles out of the bottom of the bottling bucket are absolute volcanoes (best opened outside with the bottle pointed away from clothing).

Nearly all I've sampled so far have too much carbonation.  I open the 12-oz bottle, pour about one-half into a 20-oz mug, and wait for some of the foam to settle and drink a bit, before pouring the rest of the bottle.

Isn't it amazing that lessons learned "the hard way" stick with us longer.

Thanks for the above info and I going to try gelatin after a thorough cold crash for my next batch.

It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 05:52:15 pm »
I rack to a keg, cold crash for a day, add gelatin and let it sit it the cold until I need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Westley

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 08:28:10 pm »
So I'm new enough to brewing, I feel this might be a legitimate question. What is a cold crash, and what's it for? I have three batches of beer almost ready for keg, and this sounds fairly important.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 08:49:21 pm »
Cold crashing is optional, but, if you have the means it is quite helpful to clarify your beer.

A cold crash is act of dropping the beer temp to around 32F. This encourages the yeast to flocculate (fall to bottom of the fermenter.) Other things floating in the beer (proteins) also drop out easier with lower temps. Leave the beer at 32F for 2-3 days then keg or bottle.

PS. All questions are legit.