Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop hash  (Read 5918 times)

Offline dalenlandis

• 1st Kit
Hop hash
« on: January 04, 2017, 07:23:47 pm »
Anyone care to share any experience using hop hash? Looking to try it out. I know it is best optimized in whirlpool or dry hop, but I am getting mixed info on info as process. Some say make a tincture as you need the ethanol to extract the big oil content. Others say it's not necessary. I'm looking to optimize aroma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cswalker

• 1st Kit
Re: Hop hash
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 04:03:34 am »
I almost tried it, but every strain I wanted was sold out. I'm assuming it's just all the "leftovers" from the pellet-izing (?) process.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 06:15:34 am »
I bought some, but will use it after I am done brewing lagers this winter. The plan was to just add it at whirlpool and dry hop.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 07:33:14 am »
Another thread was started on this. Got 8 oz and plan to do an IPA with 1/2 of it at flameout and 1/2 of it dry. Not sure when I will get around to it so I am interested to hear others experiences.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 09:25:41 am »
Another thread was started on this. Got 8 oz and plan to do an IPA with 1/2 of it at flameout and 1/2 of it dry. Not sure when I will get around to it so I am interested to hear others experiences.

Haven't used mine yet either. Gonna do an IPA soon with known varieties. I wanna do a small batch with the hash (still funny using that word) soon, to get a feel before I scale up.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 10:56:49 am »

Haven't used mine yet either. Gonna do an IPA soon with known varieties. I wanna do a small batch with the hash (still funny using that word) soon, to get a feel before I scale up.

Probably the best idea.

I am just going to go for it at some point. Bitter with Bravo or Columbus up to 60 IBU then use hash for the rest. By the time I get around to it, there will probably be some opinions that change my mind...

Offline boylejr

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 10:57:56 am »
Anyone care to share any experience using hop hash? Looking to try it out. I know it is best optimized in whirlpool or dry hop, but I am getting mixed info on info as process. Some say make a tincture as you need the ethanol to extract the big oil content. Others say it's not necessary. I'm looking to optimize aroma

I kicked a keg over Christmas break which I used 2oz at day 5 of fermentation.  Put it in a bag with some vodka and shook as I was afraid of gushing putting it directly into the fermenter.  Kegged the beer 4 days later, 6.2% NEIPA with golden promise/oats grist.  The beer had an intense oil hop flavor and fresh pellet hop aroma.  The keg was destroyed at my birthday party in 3 hours.

I just tapped a Black IPA I used the other 2oz at flameout.  This also has that big oil flavor but less fresh pellet aroma.

The product is pretty good, only issue is Yakima Valley Hops doesn't list the variety.  I feel it over powered the first beer a bit as it also had Citra/Denali which was lost.  The black IPA is more balanced as I can still taste/smell the Simcoe pellets used in that beer.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 10:59:28 am by boylejr »

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 08:07:38 am »
Sorry for bumping an old thread thread - but has anyone brewed exlusively/almost exclusively with the hop hash?

Yesterday, I just brewed a 12 gallon test batch with my hop hash. It's a 1.055 pale ale composed of 94% Golden Promise, 4% Carahell, and 2% Acidulated Malt; bittered to ~40 IBU's with YVH HopShot (10mL @ 60 mins). I dropped 4 oz of Hop Hash for a 30 mins whirlpool at 170F (only aroma hops). I will dry hop with another 4 oz. I mashed at 151 for 60 mins to get it pretty dry, as I'm using BRY-97 on half.

I suspect that this neutral of a malt profile and an otherwise naked hop bill will help showcase the hash - which was surprisingly moist and resinous and smelled fruitier than I expected. But while the aroma of the has was great, my wort didn't smell nearly as aromatic as when I brew a pale ale with more traditional ingredients. That could be a good thing if it means more of those aromatic compounds are staying in my beer, but I  suspect this hash is not the aroma bomb product I had hoped it would be. I'll report in ~3 weeks when I have it on tap.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 08:12:12 am »
Sorry for bumping an old thread thread - but has anyone brewed exlusively/almost exclusively with the hop hash?

Yesterday, I just brewed a 12 gallon test batch with my hop hash. It's a 1.055 pale ale composed of 94% Golden Promise, 4% Carahell, and 2% Acidulated Malt; bittered to ~40 IBU's with YVH HopShot (10mL @ 60 mins). I dropped 4 oz of Hop Hash for a 30 mins whirlpool at 170F (only aroma hops). I will dry hop with another 4 oz. I mashed at 151 for 60 mins to get it pretty dry, as I'm using BRY-97 on half.

I suspect that this neutral of a malt profile and an otherwise naked hop bill will help showcase the hash - which was surprisingly moist and resinous and smelled fruitier than I expected. But while the aroma of the has was great, my wort didn't smell nearly as aromatic as when I brew a pale ale with more traditional ingredients. That could be a good thing if it means more of those aromatic compounds are staying in my beer, but I  suspect this hash is not the aroma bomb product I had hoped it would be. I'll report in ~3 weeks when I have it on tap.

I have some and haven't used it yet. I look forward to hearing your results.
Jon H.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 10:49:03 pm »
It's kegged and carbonated now, but still clearing in the keg. The dry hop quality is less intense than expected. I used 4 oz at 170F whirlpool for 30 mins and 4 oz dry in a 12 oz batch. I think it tastes like I used 6 oz of hops at flameout and maybe 2-3 oz dry (9 days). The hop quality is citrusy and a little piney - pretty much citra blended with something that can't stand up to citra (like a 50/50 citra/cascade blend).

I think this is a decent ingredient for a kettle hop and made for a nice, hoppy beer, but I don't think it's the next big thing. Personally, I got a lot more mileage from it as a kettle hop, but since the character is sorta one-note, I probably wouldn't use it solo. Anyway, it was a fun experiment and it didn't make bad beer, so go ahead and try it out if you're looking to reduce hop solids in your system.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 07:29:18 am »
It's kegged and carbonated now, but still clearing in the keg. The dry hop quality is less intense than expected. I used 4 oz at 170F whirlpool for 30 mins and 4 oz dry in a 12 oz batch. I think it tastes like I used 6 oz of hops at flameout and maybe 2-3 oz dry (9 days). The hop quality is citrusy and a little piney - pretty much citra blended with something that can't stand up to citra (like a 50/50 citra/cascade blend).

I think this is a decent ingredient for a kettle hop and made for a nice, hoppy beer, but I don't think it's the next big thing. Personally, I got a lot more mileage from it as a kettle hop, but since the character is sorta one-note, I probably wouldn't use it solo. Anyway, it was a fun experiment and it didn't make bad beer, so go ahead and try it out if you're looking to reduce hop solids in your system.

Thanks for the update. I have a similarly structured hop hash IPA with 8 oz in the works so it's good to hear your impressions. So this was for a 5 gallon batch correct?

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 07:35:42 am »
So this was for a 5 gallon batch correct?

12 gallons. So, essentially, I used the same amount of hop hash as I would have used hops in this 1.055 pale ale. I didn't use an IPA amount, but I got an IPA amount of kettle aroma and somewhat less from the dry hop hash.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 07:55:55 am »
So this was for a 5 gallon batch correct?

12 gallons. So, essentially, I used the same amount of hop hash as I would have used hops in this 1.055 pale ale. I didn't use an IPA amount, but I got an IPA amount of kettle aroma and somewhat less from the dry hop hash.

Great thanks. I am planning for 4 oz at flameout/whirlpool and 4 oz dry in a 5 gallon batch.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 08:56:55 am »
I guess I'm not too surprised that people aren't getting great aroma frohop hash.  Based on what I know of where it comes from, it seems like it would be highly oxidized which would affect aroma.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 05:17:36 pm »
I guess I'm not too surprised that people aren't getting great aroma frohop hash.  Based on what I know of where it comes from, it seems like it would be highly oxidized which would affect aroma.

The good news is that it leaves very little hop matter in the wort/beer. I think it's potentially a very nice kettle addition for brewers who dislike losing wort to hops in their IPA. I got a ton of kettle  hop aroma from a 4 oz whirlpool in a 12 gal batch (the only other addition was co2 extract at the beginning of the boil).