Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Making Norther Brewers "Off the Topper" Juicy?  (Read 10451 times)

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
Re: Making Norther Brewers "Off the Topper" Juicy?
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2017, 05:29:25 pm »
There was a lot of noise in this thread, glad it died-down.

I will work on the water profile, starting with RO and bump-up the Chloride. Other than fermenting with the Vermont strain @ low temps, heavy whirlpool and dry hopping, what else ya got to tweak the kit recipe?

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2017, 07:15:10 am »

I will work on the water profile, starting with RO and bump-up the Chloride. Other than fermenting with the Vermont strain @ low temps, heavy whirlpool and dry hopping, what else ya got to tweak the kit recipe?

Have you used the vermont strain before??

I (and many others) have found it to be a bit finicky first generation - especially in a bigger beer.  It is not uncommon for people brewing 1.060+ beers with a single vial/pack to have it poop out on them around 1.018 or so.  If you are using it first generation, I would make sure to take steps to ensure large, healthy, active pitch.

Personally, I really like the yeast - but I never pitch it to a bigger IPA first generation.  My general protocol is to brew a 1.040 blonde ale first generation - low hops, no dry hop.  I then collect the yeast from the fermenter to 6  1/2 - 1 pint mason jars.  Then I use the 2nd generation for my IPA's.   I use the 6th jar for another blonde ale - repeat the yeast harvesting.  Generally, I do this 3-4 times before starting over again. 

When I use the 2nd+ generation yeast/starters, I routinely finish around 1.011-1.012 on pretty much every beer.

Otherwise, I would say to make sure you keep track of the steps you take this time, and perhaps adjust accordingly on future beers.

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2017, 09:05:15 am »
braufessor - I am reusing my (Vermont) yeast and on to the 3rd generation :)

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2017, 09:56:09 am »
Make sure to account for trub loss when you are using this volume of hops. Especially if they're whole hops. Not sure if you're using a hop bag or not or if you're kegging or not, but large hop particles can clog keg plumbing, so rack carefully.

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2017, 10:13:48 am »
I have a 6x18 400 micron hop spider and let it drain into the kettle before draining. My batch sizes are 6 gallons to account for loss :)

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2017, 10:29:59 am »

Have you used the vermont strain before??

I (and many others) have found it to be a bit finicky first generation - especially in a bigger beer.  It is not uncommon for people brewing 1.060+ beers with a single vial/pack to have it poop out on them around 1.018 or so.  If you are using it first generation, I would make sure to take steps to ensure large, healthy, active pitch.

Personally, I really like the yeast - but I never pitch it to a bigger IPA first generation.  My general protocol is to brew a 1.040 blonde ale first generation - low hops, no dry hop.  I then collect the yeast from the fermenter to 6  1/2 - 1 pint mason jars.  Then I use the 2nd generation for my IPA's.   I use the 6th jar for another blonde ale - repeat the yeast harvesting.  Generally, I do this 3-4 times before starting over again. 

When I use the 2nd+ generation yeast/starters, I routinely finish around 1.011-1.012 on pretty much every beer.

Otherwise, I would say to make sure you keep track of the steps you take this time, and perhaps adjust accordingly on future beers.

I'm using Conan for the first time and just kegging an IPA today.  I'll have to check the FG and see where it's at.  I'm thinking I kind of screwed up on this one, because the ferment temp spiked on me (up to 72) and then I dropped it back to 65, which pretty much shut down the yeast.  I warmed it back up and swirled it a couple times, and gave it another week to finish.  I'll check it today.  I appreciate your good advice, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this beer turned out. 

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2017, 10:33:29 am »
FYI - I just completed an imperial porter w/Conan (3rd gen). It started @ 1.093 and rose to 75 after two days (very active) before I noticed, dropped it down to 68-69 and let it go. It appeared to have stopped @ 1.018 (14 days) so I applied heat to 74. After a few more days, it dropped to 1.014 and that is where I shall leave it.