Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Safale US 05 fermentation length  (Read 29110 times)

Offline hazefodaze29

• Cellarman
Safale US 05 fermentation length
« on: January 05, 2017, 06:14:21 pm »
Hey everyone,

So I made a grapefruit IPA with an OG at around 1.069 and used dry yeast (safale 05) for the first time. I pitched the packet dry. I've used different variations of liquid yeast for all my other batches (with starters). Usual procedure would be to dry hop on day 7. Today was day 7 for the grapefruit ipa and as soon as I opened up the bucket, I noticed that there was significant krausen at the top of the wort with the clear smell of yeast. For those that have used 05 before, when have you notice the yeast start to recede and drop out? Plan was to transfer into a secondary today with grapefruit peel, juice and dry hops. Unfortunately.... I went thru sanitizing and got everything ready... only to discover what I said.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Safale US 05 fermentation length
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 06:21:49 pm »
IME S05 is slower to get started (being dry) and more powdery and slower to clear than 1056. If you're roughly at the the OG where you normally dry hop, go ahead. Past that, you may want to crash for several days and/or use gelatin to help it drop out once you do. Or not. 
Jon H.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 06:35:30 pm »
I use 05 quite a bit, and my experience is that the yeast drops out at around ten days. I ferment around 64F, and I always re-hydrate and never cold crash.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 07:26:16 pm »
I have used s04 and s05 quite a bit. IME it takes aboot 2 days to get going and usually finishes all activity within 3- 5 days, fg 1.010-1.012.
I bottle condition all my beers and they come out pretty clear for not necessarily trying to make clear beer.
Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 07:41:14 pm »
The few times I've used it fermentation seemed very slow.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 04:18:50 am »
US-05 always seems to leave big yeast mats whenever I've used it, that absolutely refuse to drop.  Not a fan of it.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline hazefodaze29

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 08:51:47 am »
so by roughly day 10 I should cold crash or will most of it drop off?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 10:10:56 am »
Whether it mostly drops out or you should cold crash depends, I think, on the beer temperature.  I ferment 66-70 F generally.  If keggin, I cold crash, add gelatin and then give it a few days for the yeast to drop out as much as possible. I don't cold crash if bottling, but I get a lot of sediment with US-05.

Offline hazefodaze29

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 02:58:11 pm »
Update: Pretty odd.... but after taking my fermentor bucket from out of the chamber, to a higher table, then back to the chamber last night, the airlock has started to bubble up pretty good. Not the typical few bubbles here and there after a dry hop. But rather a half way through fermentation type of bubble rate. I wonder if there was just some residual yeast that had just started to drop thru the wort/beer now after the agitation of the movement last night? Thoughts? Regardless, I will wait till Sunday (day 10) to pop her open again to see if I can get a gravity reading and transfer to secondary.  Pretty bummed with the minor set back cause I am anxious to try this grapefruit ipa.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 03:00:16 pm »
agitation will release some of the residual CO2 remaining in the beer from fermentation.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 04:42:19 am »
agitation will release some of the residual CO2 remaining in the beer from fermentation.

This ^^^.  I have seen some tremendous off gassing after moving a carboy (especially if combined with a temperature change).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"