Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Temperature vs Temperature  (Read 1551 times)

Offline saintjimmy

• 1st Kit
  • Bike, beer, repeat.
Temperature vs Temperature
« on: January 04, 2017, 09:46:05 pm »
Temperature!  We all know it's the be all end all for Brewing.

So, my question is this:  You ferment at the desired temperature, for x amount of time.

After you transfer to the secondary (if you do this step), what temperature do you let your beer sit at?  What about when you bottle it?

My secondary and bottling temperature has been a constant 17c (62.6F), and it has worked well for me.  But I'm always open to improving.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Temperature vs Temperature
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 04:20:10 am »
I've started performing a secondary fermentation in the keg and/or cask, letting them sit at 55 degrees.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 06:37:57 pm »
62 is okay for secondary, but I think you may want to go higher for bottle conditioning, maybe 70-72.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 07:44:10 pm »
I've been racking to secondary for 17 years until I started reading on these threads that it is not necessary.  When I did I tried to get it as cold as possible to drop out the yeast and clear.  Sometimes as low as 35 degrees.  Seemed to work well.

Offline saintjimmy

• 1st Kit
  • Bike, beer, repeat.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 11:10:14 pm »
Interesting thoughts.  In the winter it's not a problem to do a secondary cold, as my garage is around 35-37F, but summer... I might need another fridge.

And what about Cellaring beer?  Should that be colder?  I just did a Wee Heavy, which says it can be cellared for months.  I haven't moved it out of it's primary yet as it's only 10 days old.

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 07:35:32 am »
Interesting thoughts.  In the winter it's not a problem to do a secondary cold, as my garage is around 35-37F, but summer... I might need another fridge.

And what about Cellaring beer?  Should that be colder?  I just did a Wee Heavy, which says it can be cellared for months.  I haven't moved it out of it's primary yet as it's only 10 days old.
IIRC, cellaring should be cool and consistent. Not cold, just cool. Like low 50's. Consistency is the key with cellaring. you don't want wild temp swings.