Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BRY97 vs. S-05  (Read 5533 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Re: BRY97 vs. S-05
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 02:33:27 pm »
Both strains work better 2nd generation, IMO. And both produce pretty similar beer fermented at around 62º F - with US-05 being somewhat more powdery and higher-attenuating than BRY-97.

The biggest difference, IMO, is that BRY-97 is much more temperature-sensitive. I have successfully fermented with 1st-generation US-05 as low as 52º F, and I usually ferment with US-05 around 58º F - 62º F. BRY-97 WILL ferment at 58º, but I have been unable to take it cooler than that. Typically, I find BRY-97 is happy and best from 62º F - 66º F. Any colder and the fermentation is slow and lag is unacceptable. Any warmer and the esters are too much for my taste. US-05, by contrast, can ferment pretty effectively from 56º F - 68º F. As such, I consider US-05 more versatile and user-friendly, especially when fermenting at ambient during cooler months (sometimes I will brew too much for my fermentation freezer to handle around March/April).

I use both quite frequently, as well as Imperial Joystick (purportedly Pacman), which is very cold-tolerant and fairly flocculant.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 11:39:32 am »
Old topic, I know, but I am very behind on the forum. This is a quote from a former frequent poster from a pm about Bry-97. He was always very open with his input and knowledge on all things s. cerevisiae, so I feel comfortable reposting this respone to my questions regarding Bry-97. If I am wrong, I apologize on the front side.

"From experience, I can tell you that BRY 97 does not like being cold.  I would pitch it at 68F, and force attemperate to keep it the internal temperature from climbing above 72F.    If you look at White Labs recommendations for WLP051, you will see that they recommend 66F to 70F.  Unless you like wasting hops, I would hold your knockout (time 0) hops back for dry hopping. BRY 97 is a late hop stripper.  You want to dry hop in a secondary or a keg after the beer has been separated from most of the yeast.  This strain is much more flocculent than BRY96."
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 01:49:59 pm »
Old topic, I know, but I am very behind on the forum. This is a quote from a former frequent poster from a pm about Bry-97. He was always very open with his input and knowledge on all things s. cerevisiae, so I feel comfortable reposting this respone to my questions regarding Bry-97. If I am wrong, I apologize on the front side.

"From experience, I can tell you that BRY 97 does not like being cold.  I would pitch it at 68F, and force attemperate to keep it the internal temperature from climbing above 72F.    If you look at White Labs recommendations for WLP051, you will see that they recommend 66F to 70F.  Unless you like wasting hops, I would hold your knockout (time 0) hops back for dry hopping. BRY 97 is a late hop stripper.  You want to dry hop in a secondary or a keg after the beer has been separated from most of the yeast.  This strain is much more flocculent than BRY96."

Thanks for sharing that. The late hop stripping is very much in line with my experience.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline 69franx

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 02:08:12 pm »
You're welcome. Unfortunately, I have not yet gotten to my trials with it, and that quote is likely from at least a year ago. I'm sure you know who the quote came from, and I have no doubts about his experiences or thoughts on the matter

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 06:51:35 am »
I use East COast yeast's BRY-97 frequently and everything that “he” said was spot on. My last pseudo Ballantine IPA I used mostly late addition hops and was extremely muted.   That dude knows his stuff and his information is truly missed.
Mark

Offline 69franx

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2017, 11:23:30 am »
I got that info from him while I was in planning stages for 2 recipes for Ballantine that I refer to as Steele's(from his IPA book) and the Rankert/Renner recipe I got on here from hofenundmalz. I really need to get to brewing those batches, Bry-97 on hand, just waiting for brew time
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 11:27:25 am by 69franx »
Frank L.