Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Malt choice  (Read 2985 times)

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
Malt choice
« on: January 10, 2017, 10:23:46 pm »
If you could only choose one, two at the most, what malt would you prefer and why?

I chose the C45 as my top choice as I think it's the most versatile one for my brewing.   I do seasonal brewing with every other batch usually a APA.   Not sure on my second choice though.  A brewery is getting rid of these malts that they don't plan on using.  Lucky enough to know someone that works there.

Crystal Rice Malt ~10#
Brown Rice Malt ~5#
Melonoidin 15#
Aromatic Munich 10#
C 45 15#
CaraMunich 80L ~55#
Flaked Quinoa ~20#
Chocolate Rye ~10#
Carafa Special II ~25#
CaraMunich II ~30#
Carafa Special II ~30#
Peated Malt ~45#

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Malt choice
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 10:34:35 pm »
Agree with C45.  Also chocolate rye is good stuff.  Use it in any dark beer (brown ale, schwarz, porter, stout) instead of the usual other dark roasted malts.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 04:35:52 am »
Or caramunich

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 05:55:14 am »
Which maltsters C45? I find caramel/crystals in that color range to vary widely.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 06:06:29 am »
I'd pick the C45, Caramunich 80, or Caramunich II - any could be used in a large number of styles.

Edit -  Or you could use the peated malt for traction if your driveway gets icy. I just wouldn't put it in beer under any circumstances.  :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 06:14:33 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 06:41:54 am »
I'd go with the Flaked Quinoa and the Crystal Rice, with the Brown Rice malt being my 3rd choice. I can get all the others easily, but those I've never encountered and I'd want to play around with them.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 09:42:33 am »
If you could only choose one, two at the most, what malt would you prefer and why?

I chose the C45 as my top choice as I think it's the most versatile one for my brewing.   I do seasonal brewing with every other batch usually a APA.   Not sure on my second choice though.  A brewery is getting rid of these malts that they don't plan on using.  Lucky enough to know someone that works there.

Crystal Rice Malt ~10#
Brown Rice Malt ~5#
Melonoidin 15#
Aromatic Munich 10#
C 45 15#
CaraMunich 80L ~55#
Flaked Quinoa ~20#
Chocolate Rye ~10#
Carafa Special II ~25#
CaraMunich II ~30#
Carafa Special II ~30#
Peated Malt ~45#

Except for the peated get all you can, I'm sure you can find homes for any you end up not using.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 10:45:02 am »
Send me the caramunich II please.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 05:38:03 pm »
I'd pick the C45, Caramunich 80, or Caramunich II - any could be used in a large number of styles.

Edit -  Or you could use the peated malt for traction if your driveway gets icy. I just wouldn't put it in beer under any circumstances.  :)

It's good to carry bucket of peated malt, a shovel, and a blanket in your truck during the cold winter months.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 05:41:55 pm »

It's good to carry bucket of peated malt, a shovel, and a blanket in your truck during the cold winter months.

Maybe there'll be a run on it come the next big snowfall.  "Buy our peated malt - it's better than kitty litter".   ;D
Jon H.

The Beerery

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 06:06:39 pm »
Is the caramunich 85 German? Can't say I have ever seen that. Caramunich II for me fresh salted caramel... mmmm

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 08:22:22 pm »
Is the caramunich 85 German? Can't say I have ever seen that. Caramunich II for me fresh salted caramel... mmmm
Can't say for sure but I assume it is. Most of the bags are weyermann from the picture

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 08:45:24 am »
Can't say for sure but I assume it is. Most of the bags are weyermann from the picture

They must have really loosened up on the whole Reinheitsgebot thing if Weyermann is putting out flaked quinoa and Rice malt...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 07:45:14 am »

They must have really loosened up on the whole Reinheitsgebot thing if Weyermann is putting out flaked quinoa and Rice malt...
I believe the quinoa is from another maltster.  I'm going today and will check who it's from. 

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 10:27:59 am »

Not if it's meant for the export market.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women