Author Topic: BrewingBrian from CT  (Read 1171 times)

Offline BrewingBrian

• 1st Kit
  • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC09ji3_vkMFCVkIkY
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
BrewingBrian from CT
« on: January 07, 2017, 09:05:37 PM »
Hey guys I just started brewing last year after several years of being curious about and wanting to try the process. Some of my coworkers brew and after discovering a local brew store I finally started! I've only brewed 4 batches, all kits, yesterday being my most recent batch. The beers were American Pale Ale, Double IPA, English Brown Ale, and American Bock. As of now I'm most interested in IPAs, love the bitter taste, and Wit beers (Hoegaarden). Eventually I would like to graduate into all grain brewing and experiment with the different ingredients.
I currently use my kitchen (electric stove) until I get a turkey burner, (will probably get one for my next batch because boiling 2.5 gallons for an hour is alot of stress on that stove!), use a pale bucket for primary and carboy for secondary fermentor. I'm not sure how to post a picture on here but I will share a link to my YouTube beer channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC09ji3_vkMFCVkIkY7Ssz8g Note it is a work in progress!
Glad to join the AHA!

Offline Slowbrew

• Brewmaster General
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
Re: BrewingBrian from CT
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 09:16:18 PM »
Welcome to the obsessio... uh, I mean hobby and the AHA. 

If you switch to a propane burner you may want to consider doing full boils.  It probably means a larger pot but hop utilization improves with more dilute wort.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 03:36:50 PM »
Welcome aboard.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
AHA Governing Committee
BJCP National
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 04:06:56 PM »
Welcome to the best homebrewing forum out there!
Brian
mobrewer

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »
Welcome! 
Jon H.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 05:45:19 PM »

If you switch to a propane burner you may want to consider doing full boils.  It probably means a larger pot but hop utilization improves with more dilute wort.

Paul

And depending on the turkey fryer, you might find the larger pot comes with. I used my 7g aluminum turkey pot for the last 4 years (finally upgraded to a 10g stainless pot).

Offline BrewingBrian

• 1st Kit
  • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC09ji3_vkMFCVkIkY
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 07:13:02 PM »

Paul

And depending on the turkey fryer, you might find the larger pot comes with. I used my 7g aluminum turkey pot for the last 4 years (finally upgraded to a 10g stainless pot).

I'm def gonna go full boil with a turkey burner as I think the diluting up has always made my original gravity readings on the low side. And that's a good point I'll shop around for burners if they come with a pot that's discounted!