Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pilgrim Hops  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Pilgrim Hops
« on: January 07, 2017, 07:11:51 pm »
Last year (fall of 2015) I placed an order at Hops Direct, and they sent me a free pound of Pilgrim hops. I just got around to using them. I brewed an English IPA with English malt and crystal, and I used the Pilgrim hops for bittering and finishing. It came out delicious. It tasted like a heavily hopped English cask ale. I love it!

Has any one else used them?
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Pilgrim Hops
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 10:45:59 pm »
Last year (fall of 2015) I placed an order at Hops Direct, and they sent me a free pound of Pilgrim hops. I just got around to using them. I brewed an English IPA with English malt and crystal, and I used the Pilgrim hops for bittering and finishing. It came out delicious. It tasted like a heavily hopped English cask ale. I love it!

Has any one else used them?
Interesting...can you describe the flavor and aroma?  Sorry, I know that's difficult and very subjective but this hop sounds like it might be good in other English styles.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 06:11:10 am »
Can you compare it to something like EKG, or Fuggles?  I made a fair amount of bitter and generally use EKG in it, but something different might be nice for the next batch of it.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 06:37:05 am »
 On many hop charts it is compared to Challenger as it is a fairly high alpha hop with high levels of the oil selenium. I have always used EKG in my English styles, and Pilgrim is not very different than EKG. If anything, it's flavor seems milder and smoother yet with the same earthy, floral English taste. There is also a hint of lemon in there somewhere. My first impression is that it tastes like cask ales that I drank when in the UK.
Frank C.

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 09:16:38 am »
I used them in a bitter.
It was very good.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 09:46:25 am »
Yeah, seeing I have the better part of a pound of them, they have just become my go-to hop for English styles.
Frank C.