Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Name your hop source!  (Read 4190 times)

narvin

Re: Name your hop source!
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 09:00:34 am »
HopsDirect for bulk, LHBS for 1oz at a time, if needed.

Speaking of that, I need to do some ordering...

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 09:20:53 am »
Hops Direct has received most of my business. Good pricing, good quality and generous measurements on pounds. I tend only to buy in pounds when I need to buy hops to age for sour beer or something to keep in the high alpha range for bittering other beers.

When I need smaller portions I tend to buy from Farmhouse in their four ounce packs. I don't fear buying his older supply and often can pick up hops by the ounce around $0.60-0.80/oz. Never had a problem with the quality on the older hops but if I needed them for IPAs or pale ales I'd probably buy fresher stock.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 10:06:31 am »
Ted is an awesome guy. I got to judge Pale Ale with him at Seattle NHC with him last year. Then made him try my Helles and Helles Exportbier. That was fun.

He's the guy for lagers, for sure!  Hop Heaven gets most of my biz, but Niko is great also.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 10:17:10 am »
Ted is an awesome guy. I got to judge Pale Ale with him at Seattle NHC with him last year. Then made him try my Helles and Helles Exportbier. That was fun.

He's the guy for lagers, for sure!  Hop Heaven gets most of my biz, but Niko is great also.
He gave the Helles a 38 and the Helles Exportbier a 40. I value that more than any medal. I have since quit brew the Helles just because I really don't care for them enough to have 5 gallons. But the Exportbier is a keeper. I use the base beer as a palate for assorted hops. Right now I'm fermenting the Mittelfruh version and one with Crystal.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 12:05:42 pm »
He gave the Helles a 38 and the Helles Exportbier a 40. I value that more than any medal. I have since quit brew the Helles just because I really don't care for them enough to have 5 gallons. But the Exportbier is a keeper. I use the base beer as a palate for assorted hops. Right now I'm fermenting the Mittelfruh version and one with Crystal.

Excellent!  FWIW, I'm with ya....I don't care for helles either.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 12:41:23 pm »

Excellent!  FWIW, I'm with ya....I don't care for helles either.
I like it, respect it, it's just not so awesome to me that I need a gob of it around.

Offline dsmitch19

• Cellarman
    • ASH
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 01:06:18 pm »
Ted from HH came down to AZ to proctor an exam last year and brought my order with him. Great quality. Just used some of his NB for a Cali Common this weekend.

I've used Niko in the past too with good results and some killer pricing.

LHBS for small quantities of hops I don't use as often.

Cheers!
Dennis Mitchell
Grand Master Judge + Mead Judge
BJCP Communications Director
AHA Governing Committee

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 01:45:02 pm »
Hops Direct for large bulk (1lb.), Freshops for smaller amounts and the LHBS in a pinch. I have a freezer full o' hops right now, so no needs for quite awhile.  But based on what ya'll have posted, I'll check out YVH and HH next time the need arises.
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197