Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mesquite Smoke Powder - WOW  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Kutaka

• Cellarman
Mesquite Smoke Powder - WOW
« on: January 21, 2017, 03:40:01 pm »
I bought this mesquite smoke powder recently and it exceeded my expectations.  So far, I've used it in taco meat a few times to give it a smokey Tex Mex flavor (in addition to the standard taco meat spices).  This stuff is a bullet train ride to flavor country!

https://www.spicejungle.com/mesquite-smoke-flavor

It's smoked maltodextrin.  It's very strong.  1/2 tsp in 1.5# of ground beef and two cans of beans produces a lot of mesquite flavor.

I suppose it could be used in beer too.  I'm going to try it in a marinade for grilled meats next.

Highly recommended.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Mesquite Smoke Powder - WOW
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 10:35:00 am »
You've got me interested, but I'll withhold judgement until I try it myself. If it's anything like Liquid Smoke, it may be too "artificial" tasting for my liking. Still, it would probably be very useful in a dry rub or seasoning blend. I might have to try the hickory version, too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Kutaka

• Cellarman
Re: Mesquite Smoke Powder - WOW
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 11:07:06 am »
Liquid smoke is terrible.  This powder tastes natural.   

Not sure how well it works as a rub, but some of the reviews on the site claim it works well in a rub.  Since it is so strong, I suggest mixing it thoroughly with other spices before rubbing it.

One word of caution is to avoid sniffing the powder indirectly.  Some of the fine powder will end up in your nose and all you will smell for days is mesquite.