Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: British Golden Ale  (Read 6165 times)

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
British Golden Ale
« on: November 25, 2016, 05:40:37 pm »
I usually see love and really good recipes ideas for Kolsch, Blonde Ales, or Munich Helles. But i have not seen any love for British Golden Ales. What would be your dream recipe for a British Golden Ale?. This is what the BJCP suggests:

Characteristic Ingredients: Low-color pale or lager malt acting as a blank canvas for the hop character. May use sugar adjuncts, corn or wheat. English hops frequently used, although citrusy American varietals are becoming more common. Somewhat clean-fermenting British yeast.

Style Comparison: More similar to an American Pale Ale than anything else, although it is often lower in alcohol and usually features British ingredients. Has no caramel and fewer esters compared to British bitters and pale ales. Dry as bitters but with less malt character to support the hops, giving a
different balance. Often uses (and features) American hops, more so than most other modern British styles.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: British Golden Ale
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 06:31:07 pm »
I would use Simpsons Golden Promise, maybe the Fullers strain, get a little mineral character in the water, but not too much, and the hops of your choice.

I have had a few, they are good drinkers. Having been to Britain in 2015, I noted ones with British, American, German, NZ and AU hops (I said that on my last BJCP and probably got docked).

Make the beer you want to drink.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 09:18:48 pm »
I took a stab at a beer along those lines this this summer. 

This is the recipe from memory:

5 gals
7lbs pilsner malt
2lbs 6 row
1 lb flaked maize
1/2 lb C10

1/4 oz Azaca @60
1 oz Amarillo @10
1 oz Mosaic @5
3/4 oz Azaca @0
Dry hop with 1 oz Amarillo & 1 oz Mosaic
WY1056

My target was 1.052 and 28 IBUs, mostly from the late hops, but used the software to
use just enough Azacca @60 to hit 28.  Your amt would vary based on the %AA of the hops you acquire.

Anyways, it came out pretty nice.  Very drinkable,
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 01:36:42 am »
Look up Seymour Citra Gold on the jimsbeerkit forum. It's a golden ale with Citra, very popular with UK brewers. I've made it 3 or 4 times.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 11:48:51 am »
This style seems to be pretty Americanized... How is this just not a less bitter APA? I would think that a requirement must be at very least an English ale strain?

If I was attempting one, I would also most likely use Golden Promise as the base, maybe some flaked corn for adjunct, and a small amount of light crystal along with a touch of character malt (biscuist, victory, munich, etc).
Maybe a blend of english and american hops, and english yeast.
Otherwise, to me, it becomes pretty much a hoppy american blonde or less bitter APA. Just my 2 cents.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 02:58:47 pm »
This style seems to be pretty Americanized... How is this just not a less bitter APA? I would think that a requirement must be at very least an English ale strain?

If I was attempting one, I would also most likely use Golden Promise as the base, maybe some flaked corn for adjunct, and a small amount of light crystal along with a touch of character malt (biscuist, victory, munich, etc).
Otherwise, to me, it becomes pretty much a hoppy american blonde or less bitter APA. Just my 2 cents.

Those were my thoughts exactly. I personally would use all UK ingredients with a mix of UK and American hops. I have been thinking a British Blonde ale in the same vein but lighter on the hops.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 03:00:42 pm by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 01:32:09 am »

These days, a lot of golden ales in British pubs are mid Atlantic in style, with American hops, but if you want to avoid those I'd use Styrian Goldings. The problem with most British hops is that the aroma is subtle and can fade during conditioning, giving you an insipid beer.

Golden ales are weaker than APAs at about 4%, less well carbonated, probably a lot more sulphate in the water, less bitter than APA but more bitter than American blonde. Definitely no crystal or caramel malt - that will give you bitter rather than golden ale. 100% Golden Promise or Maris Otter would work. Yeast a matter of personal preference but not Danstar Nottingham, which is too tart and lagery.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 01:37:07 am by charles1968 »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 06:47:20 am »

These days, a lot of golden ales in British pubs are mid Atlantic in style, with American hops, but if you want to avoid those I'd use Styrian Goldings. The problem with most British hops is that the aroma is subtle and can fade during conditioning, giving you an insipid beer.

Golden ales are weaker than APAs at about 4%, less well carbonated, probably a lot more sulphate in the water, less bitter than APA but more bitter than American blonde. Definitely no crystal or caramel malt - that will give you bitter rather than golden ale. 100% Golden Promise or Maris Otter would work. Yeast a matter of personal preference but not Danstar Nottingham, which is too tart and lagery.

I agree on all of your points. I want to add that some use American hops that are Hallertau Mittelfrüh derivatives, such as Liberty or Mt. Hood. Not over the top American hops can give a hint of citrus, but have lager like aromas.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 07:45:35 am »
I agree on all of your points. I want to add that some use American hops that are Hallertau Mittelfrüh derivatives, such as Liberty or Mt. Hood. Not over the top American hops can give a hint of citrus, but have lager like aromas.
I haven't tried that but it sounds good. I quite like the OTT American hops too but without dry hopping, so the flavour is more gentle and allows yeast character to show.

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 03:23:46 pm »
Look up Seymour Citra Gold on the jimsbeerkit forum. It's a golden ale with Citra, very popular with UK brewers. I've made it 3 or 4 times.

That recipe looks legit specially using Citra. And i agree with all the suggestions like using Hallertau Mittelfrüh derivatives.  Would be cool experimenting with a new hop strain like mandarina bavaria.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 05:33:55 pm »
I haven't tried that but it sounds good. I quite like the OTT American hops too but without dry hopping, so the flavour is more gentle and allows yeast character to show.
When touring breweries in England, I have always noticed the American hops in the hop storage,room.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 11:38:57 am »

I am brewing this now.
Changed it a bit, all citra hops, and trying out the Imperial House yeast for the first time, also I don't have the orange peel.

Dan S. from NJ

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 02:29:36 pm »
What's the BU:GU target?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 06:12:37 am »
What's the BU:GU target?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
The recipe I brewed was   .7
Dan S. from NJ

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 07:52:55 am »
I have a Citra Gold cold conditioning now with a .825 BU:GU

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk