Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: brett beer  (Read 3650 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: brett beer
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 09:27:34 am »
OK, a plan is starting to unfold: pale grist (maybe no wheat at all), ferment with Brett Trois, finish fermentation with French Saison, then add a small amount of sour cherries for some acidity and tannins.  And then I'll call it Instant Kriek. That will piss off a lot of people here in Belgium!

How about wort souring?
If you're going to go that route, then why not go all-in on the faux kriek? Start with a kettle sour, then dual-pitch Sacc and Brett. Rack it onto some cherries after a month or two. Bottle once your FG is stable. You can be sipping on "Kriek" in a matter of months.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 09:30:31 am »
Isn't brett trois a sac yeast? According to white labs it is
White labs' old "Brett Trois" turned out to be a wild Sacc strain. It's good for "Brett" IPA's, but doesn't give much Brett character as a secondary yeast. There is a "real" Brett Trois out there that is actually a Brett strain. I'm not sure which one we're talking about for the OP.
Eric B.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 10:55:05 am »
I simply don't want too much barnyard. I think you are referring to the Drie, but that seems to be unobtainable.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 11:06:10 am »
Straight Brett is said to give very low barnyard. I've not tasted any traditional Brett flavors in 100% Brett beers

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 12:06:49 pm »
Straight Brett is said to give very low barnyard. I've not tasted any traditional Brett flavors in 100% Brett beers

Most of those compounds produced are when the brett is stressed (ie low pitch in a secondary ferment with minimal residual sugars remaining). Most of the 100% brett beers I have done have actually been pretty tame.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 12:22:37 pm »

Most of those compounds produced are when the brett is stressed (ie low pitch in a secondary ferment with minimal residual sugars remaining). Most of the 100% brett beers I have done have actually been pretty tame.
I think recent opinion has shifted - it's not "stress" per se that is causing the traditional Brett flavors. It's just that Saccharomyces produces various esters and precursors that Brett can then bioconvert to other flavor compounds. The effect is the same - a Brett secondary is where you will get the most Brett flavor.
Eric B.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 12:39:28 pm »
Could be... I have not seen/read/experienced that.  I blended a wild culture from my garden with sacch and won 3 1st 2 bests for my SMaSH backyard brett

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 09:39:25 am »
I simply don't want too much barnyard. I think you are referring to the Drie, but that seems to be unobtainable.

You have to sit on all brett beers for a long time before the barnyard and other typical brett flavors appear.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 10:47:27 am »

I think recent opinion has shifted - it's not "stress" per se that is causing the traditional Brett flavors. It's just that Saccharomyces produces various esters and precursors that Brett can then bioconvert to other flavor compounds. The effect is the same - a Brett secondary is where you will get the most Brett flavor.

Yeah, good point. Beginning esters and phenolics allow the brett to break down and change them over time.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 11:24:44 am »
My main fear is that this beer (and include some kettle souring) will be at best one dimensional and boring...
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.