Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash out questions  (Read 5731 times)

The Beerery

Re: Mash out questions
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 03:55:21 pm »
Redirect... I think you got your answer, OP. Some of us homebrewers say no difference. Some say it is a 1 point difference but not a fermenability thing, a foam/foam retention thing. And you can gage that 1 point by comparing it to reducing HSA being 50 points.

I find that in a lot of hobbies (and child rearing) it's about the summation of those small numbers.  Each thing individually is minor, even insignificant at times.  However, if you combine all of those little 1s, 5s, and 2s then you start to see a significant difference.  Of course, you do have to weight the cost vs reward and decide for yourself if this 1 or 2 is worth the effort.

Amen brotha!

I always said if it's less than a 40 point beer I will dump it. Problem is now I find way too many flaws in 40 point beer and that mark has moved to 45 with the goal being 50. My tweaking solely consists of .1's now.
A beer ( or anything for that matter) is the sum of all parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2017, 04:05:27 pm »
You must win a crap ton of medals!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2017, 04:05:40 pm »

I find that in a lot of hobbies (and child rearing) it's about the summation of those small numbers.  Each thing individually is minor, even insignificant at times.  However, if you combine all of those little 1s, 5s, and 2s then you start to see a significant difference.  Of course, you do have to weight the cost vs reward and decide for yourself if this 1 or 2 is worth the effort.

I agree. The small improvements definitely get cumulative after enough of them.
Jon H.

The Beerery

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2017, 04:39:50 pm »
I used to.  But I'm not really a fan of the ole' bjcp anymore. 

The Beerery

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2017, 04:42:33 pm »
I used to.  But I'm not really a fan of the ol' bjcp anymore. 

Offline Mythguided Brewing

• 1st Kit
  • Mississippi Gulf Coast
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2017, 12:15:40 am »
Redirect... I think you got your answer, OP. Some of us homebrewers say no difference. Some say it is a 1 point difference but not a fermenability thing, a foam/foam retention thing. And you can gage that 1 point by comparing it to reducing HSA being 50 points.

I'll take this in a slightly different direction and make an argument for the Maillard reactions @ mash-out.  When I first started, I used to do single infusion mashes; now I typically do a triple-step mash.  In so doing, I noticed a pretty dramatic impact on color development (Maillard rxns) as I'd step to higher temps.  So now I mash-out to ~170, just to get that deep, rich color (and those yummy melanoidins); alternately, I usually skip the mash-out if I'm trying to brew something @ very low SRM.

The Beerery

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2017, 07:12:37 am »

I'll take this in a slightly different direction and make an argument for the Maillard reactions @ mash-out.  When I first started, I used to do single infusion mashes; now I typically do a triple-step mash.  In so doing, I noticed a pretty dramatic impact on color development (Maillard rxns) as I'd step to higher temps.  So now I mash-out to ~170, just to get that deep, rich color (and those yummy melanoidins); alternately, I usually skip the mash-out if I'm trying to brew something @ very low SRM.

Your color pick up is most likely due to oxidation. The higher the temp the faster it happens. I get 0 color pick up from my step mashing in the absence of oxygen. Are you doing boiling water additions followed by a vigorous stir by chance?

Offline Mythguided Brewing

• 1st Kit
  • Mississippi Gulf Coast
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2017, 01:41:41 pm »

Your color pick up is most likely due to oxidation. The higher the temp the faster it happens. I get 0 color pick up from my step mashing in the absence of oxygen. Are you doing boiling water additions followed by a vigorous stir by chance?

That's certainly a possibility I hadn't considered.  I try to keep the stirring to a minimum, and I don't do boiling water additions - I step it by merely jacking up the heat (but of course have to stir to prevent the grist from scorching at the bottom).  Hmm.  I'll have to look into that...