Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Selling hop rhizomes  (Read 4243 times)

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
Selling hop rhizomes
« on: January 09, 2017, 02:34:58 pm »
This summer will be my third summer of growing hops and I was wondering if anybody sold rhizomes they trimmed from their plants. I have three plants at the moment but I am giving my two Nugget plants to my neighbor who wanted to get into growing hops. I was just thinking that I could make a little money from the rhizomes seems how I am digging them up anyway. Being a broke college student I figured I need some way to pay for all my brewing supplies haha.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Selling hop rhizomes
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 03:00:30 pm »
You'd likely be okay selling them locally. 

I would think once you start crossing state lines you might get into some issues with permitting and licensure.  Exporting and interstate transport of living stock can be heavily regulated.

Just a SWAG  on my part.  I'm guessing others on the board know more than me about these things.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 03:20:06 pm »
My guess is that unless you do it large scale there isn't enough money there to be worth the work.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 03:59:11 pm »
My guess is that unless you do it large scale there isn't enough money there to be worth the work.
This was what I was thinking. Rhizomes are cheap enough for sources where a buyer has a reasonable amount of faith in their care and health.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 09:23:11 am »
If you're trimming anyway give it a go. Toss them up on your local craigslist and homebrew clubs.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 09:26:56 am »
I don't know where you are, but I think there is a ban on sending rhizomes to Washington state.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 08:14:15 am »
If those plants were growing in a 'happy place', you should have a decent amount of rhizomes to trim off of the crowns when you dig them up.  The rhizomes will grow out horizontally away from the center of the crown like tentacles on an octopus and are generally located within the top 6 inches of soil.  Can't figure out how to post pictures here so here's a link with a great picture of a canadian redvine crown I excavated a few years back: http://allaboutbeer.com/canadian-red-vine/.  Just start digging with the shovel oriented like in the picture and dig all the way around the crown lifting the rhizomes as you go.  Cut them back to the crown and then into about 6-8 inch lengths (usually two sets of buds), sell, replant or whatever you'd like.  One other option is to stick the rhizomes into pots for this year so you can sell whole plants this fall or next year. Hoppy Trails~

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 08:06:41 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback everybody. I understand the work to do is probably not worth the money to do it at this scale but two of the plants I am going to get rid of anyway so I figured why not pay for some textbooks(or more than likely beer).
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 05:22:10 am »
If you can sell them locally, go for it. 

I always prefer to sell things I don't need anymore to folks that will use them instead just giving them away.  Often it seems like giving someone a thing makes it seem like "junk" and they appreciate it less.  Have them pay a few dollars for it and it becomes a prize they will use with pride. 

I have 2 kids in college (another one done and one who's still in HS) and appreciate any help in buying a text book or two that we can get.

Good luck!!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?