Author Topic: Feedback on New Water Spreadsheet  (Read 3472 times)

Big Monk

Feedback on New Water Spreadsheet
« on: January 10, 2017, 03:06:59 PM »
I'm going to be working on breaking out the water section of our Low Oxygen spreadsheet into its own spreadsheet and I want to solicit some group feedback/content requests.

We have had good luck getting very consistent and accurate pH actuals versus pH estimates with our sheet. The issue is that some people may be using other brewing software such as BeerSmith, Brewers friend, etc and may want to take advantage of the water section without the rest of our sheet.

I still plan on keeping some aspects of the main sheet, like the Low Oxygen color reduction, etc. and in fact, most of the Low Oxygen specific stuff in the main sheet is water specific, i.e. Meta, so that stuff will be present.

We currently have capabilities for Lactic, Phosphoric, Sauergut, Antioxin SBT (trifecta), NaMeta, etc.

We currently have it setup for No Sparge but part of the release and subsequent troubleshooting/adaptation would be to solicit feedback and incorporate sparging into the mix.

One of the most recent implementations was the ability to enter DI pH of base Malts and calculate off of that instead of color. Specialty Malts will still use the color based calcs.

In order to prevent any confusion concerning the accuracy of the sheet, as well as not misrepresent our findings, I'll say that we have found our calculations to be very consistent and very accurate. This is using an Extech pH110, with 0.01 resolution and advertised 0.01 accuracy. We have seen estimates within +\- 0.01 of actual in repeated trials. We have not taken into account any additional tolerances from buffer solutions, etc. I'm hoping to solicit data from those who use these calcs as well to build up a data set.

So I'll open it up while I start re-writing this as a solo spreadsheet and hopefully you guys have comments, requests, etc.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 03:08:48 PM by Big Monk »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback on New Water Spreadsheet
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 03:24:41 PM »
Glad to hear you're make some UI adjustments. The amount of information is too much for one sheet.

Big Monk

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 03:27:35 PM »
Glad to hear you're make some UI adjustments. The amount of information is too much for one sheet.

It will definitely be a single, small page with a tab for background calcs.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 03:28:52 PM »
Will it use sticks, spoons and pinches as units?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Big Monk

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 03:30:04 PM »
Will it use sticks, spoons and pinches as units?

You know what? Just because you're such a peach, I'll make a metric version for you. In fact, I should shoot you a copy of my custom BLAM Low Oxygen spreadsheet.

Big Monk

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 01:37:09 AM »
Put in some work today and formatting and getting the sheet ready to receive calculations.

Going to try and keep it simple. It's a good solid set of calculations with some interesting new stuff in there as well.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 01:56:45 AM »
I saw that you have a way to put "trifecta" additions in there, but how about...uh..bifecta?  For those of us without brewtan B, will the sheet be able to do meta+AA ?  The last couple batches I have been doing that combination...
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Big Monk

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 02:08:46 AM »
I saw that you have a way to put "trifecta" additions in there, but how about...uh..bifecta?  For those of us without brewtan B, will the sheet be able to do meta+AA ?  The last couple batches I have been doing that combination...

Sure! We already currently have a table that receives percentages of the 3 as user inputs and calculates their contributions. I can either adapt that to the g/gal and g total convention or keep the table and you can customize the percentages.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 02:13:55 AM »
So long as the knobs are in there, that is all I would want.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Big Monk

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 02:21:32 AM »
Awesome. One of the things I changed today that's new is distilled water pH input for base Malts. Essentially you do away with color based estimation and enter the malt pH directly.

Offline Stevie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 01:25:05 AM »
What are the best practices for the base malt ph test? Mash at 151 and wait 15? Crush fine in a blender ok? Getting my mill situated for a small amount of grain would be a PIA.

Big Monk

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 01:28:53 AM »
The easiest thing would be to get the malt analysis sheet from the bag. Then you could just enter that value. Short of that what you describe would work. Maybe wait 20-30 minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 01:34:53 AM »
The easiest thing would be to get the malt analysis sheet from the bag. Then you could just enter that value. Short of that what you describe would work. Maybe wait 20-30 minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not all sacks have compete info. My sack of red x and best pilz both lack ph.

Offline The Beerery

• Senior Brewmaster
  • More you know, the more you know you don't know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 01:40:25 AM »
50g finely crushed malt to 200ml distilled water.  65c rest for 15 should be fine. Give it some shakes/stirs.
Herr, wirf Hirn vom Himmel!
(Oder Steine, Hauptsache er trifft.)
Check us out at www.lowoxygenbrewing.com (Now with forums)
"Consistently successful brewers are invariably the ones who operate low oxygen systems." -George Fix Circa 1999
Taplist and Fermentation Cellar
"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change"

Offline Stevie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 01:47:33 AM »
50g finely crushed malt to 200ml distilled water.  65c rest for 15 should be fine. Give it some shakes/stirs.
Thanks