Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Feedback on New Water Spreadsheet  (Read 8431 times)

Big Monk

Re: Feedback on New Water Spreadsheet
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 06:52:42 pm »
50g finely crushed malt to 200ml distilled water.  65c rest for 15 should be fine. Give it some shakes/stirs.
Thanks

Any content suggestions while you're here? Something you like to see in the sheet?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 07:30:26 pm »
Let me look at the updated version a bit more. My biggest gripe with the OG sheet is usability. I'm of the opinion that a user shouldn't need to scroll around.

Big Monk

Feedback on New Water Spreadsheet
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 08:12:22 pm »
I haven't issued the revised sheet yet. It's going to be strictly a water sheet.

The full sheet was originally designed for Bryan to replace both BeerSmith and Brun Water. As such, and owing to Bryan having a big screen in the brewery, it is a big sheet with a lot of stuff on it. It was purpose built and has served that function wonderfully.

For most Brewers however, it's a lot of information. It is actually very user friendly. There is a learning curve but it is user friendly.

The goal here is to break out the water section into a single, more succinct sheet. Most people aren't about to give up their  current brewing software, but many can likely benefit from the water portion, which contains many of the Low Oxygen heavy hitters. Given the results we have seen with pH estimates, I am confident it will be the most accurate sheet out there.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 09:35:04 pm by Big Monk »

Offline Stevie

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 09:50:33 pm »
My mistake. With the current sheet, consider splitting it up into common tasks. Think of it like the checkout workflow of most web pages. Enter address -> choose shipping -> enter credit -> confirm.

Maybe split ingredients, process/equipment (settings), water, summary.

I dig your checklist. It's more useful than the Brewers Friend version which IMO is too granular.

ETA - written while drinking a six week old 500ml can of Bitburger. I think I paid $5 for 4 at TJ's
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 09:53:58 pm by Stevie »

Big Monk

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2017, 04:24:51 am »
My mistake. With the current sheet, consider splitting it up into common tasks. Think of it like the checkout workflow of most web pages. Enter address -> choose shipping -> enter credit -> confirm.

Maybe split ingredients, process/equipment (settings), water, summary.

I dig your checklist. It's more useful than the Brewers Friend version which IMO is too granular.

ETA - written while drinking a six week old 500ml can of Bitburger. I think I paid $5 for 4 at TJ's

All great feedback on the main sheet. If you have any requests or interests in the water only sheet, let me know. I am currently revising it and hoping to release sometime next week the β version.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 07:49:50 am »
Post boil/pasteurization ph adjustments for sour folks?

Big Monk

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 08:28:46 am »
Post boil/pasteurization ph adjustments for sour folks?

Big Monk

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 08:52:51 am »
Here is a peek at the formatting underway:

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 10:12:52 am »
Looking good!

Big Monk

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2017, 10:33:30 am »
Thanks! Looking to get it finished up and have the β version verified and then I'll release it.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 11:59:05 am »
Will it use sticks, spoons and pinches as units?

You know what? Just because you're such a peach, I'll make a metric version for you. In fact, I should shoot you a copy of my custom BLAM Low Oxygen spreadsheet.

Thank you! BTW, can I be an organic Sicilian blood orange? That's my favorite fruit!
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Big Monk

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 12:00:09 pm »
Will it use sticks, spoons and pinches as units?

You know what? Just because you're such a peach, I'll make a metric version for you. In fact, I should shoot you a copy of my custom BLAM Low Oxygen spreadsheet.

Thank you! BTW, can I be an organic Sicilian blood orange? That's my favorite fruit!

Ill shoot you a link for the BLAM sheet now in a PM.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2017, 12:54:08 pm »
I saw that you have a way to put "trifecta" additions in there, but how about...uh..bifecta?  For those of us without brewtan B, will the sheet be able to do meta+AA ?  The last couple batches I have been doing that combination...

Sure! We already currently have a table that receives percentages of the 3 as user inputs and calculates their contributions. I can either adapt that to the g/gal and g total convention or keep the table and you can customize the percentages.

Salts/pH side of things, this is the feature I'm most interested in. I'm moving toward two different blends of trifecta - one for ales and one for lagers. Maybe even make yeast-specific blends.

Big Monk

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2017, 01:10:46 pm »
I saw that you have a way to put "trifecta" additions in there, but how about...uh..bifecta?  For those of us without brewtan B, will the sheet be able to do meta+AA ?  The last couple batches I have been doing that combination...

Sure! We already currently have a table that receives percentages of the 3 as user inputs and calculates their contributions. I can either adapt that to the g/gal and g total convention or keep the table and you can customize the percentages.

Salts/pH side of things, this is the feature I'm most interested in. I'm moving toward two different blends of trifecta - one for ales and one for lagers. Maybe even make yeast-specific blends.

There will be a "trifecta" blend table. Also it won't be as comprehensive as BW as far as salts are concerned but will contain:

Calcium Chloride, Gypsum, Epsom, Canning Salt, Mash bicarbonate, kettle bicarbonate, mash NaMeta, sparge NaMeta, Absorbic Acid, Brewtan B, Gallotannins and Antioxin SBT.

You can get a feel for how it will be laid out here:

Big Monk

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2017, 11:23:29 am »
So a brief update:

Bryan brewed today with some of the changes that will form the basis for the new water sheet.

Estimated pH was 5.25. Reading directly following dough in was 5.3.

After 30 minutes, during the β rest, pH stabilized:

During the α rest: