Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Summer Shandy Clone  (Read 20523 times)

Offline ffdfireman

• 1st Kit
Summer Shandy Clone
« on: March 21, 2010, 08:16:38 am »
Hi everyone.  I've been trying to come up with a beer I can make that my wife may actually enjoy.  She hasn't been a fan of much of what I've made so far; so I thought I'd try something I know she likes.  She loves Leinie's Summer Shandy, so I've tried to get some info on it.  From the website I learned that they use Pale and Wheat for the malts and for hops they use Cluster.  Then the desription says that actually blend fresh lemonade in the fermenter (I think secondary).  This is where my knowledge gets limited.

Has anyone seen, made or willing to share a reliable clone recipe for this brew.
Thanks in advance.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Summer Shandy Clone
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 09:49:23 am »
30 years ago, I was doing rock'n'roll tours and almost all the other roadies were English or Australian.  They were into shandy, though they mixed them themselves.  They told me it was beer and lemonade, so imagine my surprise when they mixed beer with 7 Up!  Turns out that's what they call "lemonade"!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 01:53:30 pm »
"lemonade" to us Brits, is a clear soda, not unlike Sierra Mist or 7-Up, but less "citrusy".  Its really just soda water, sugar and lemon juice.  Its really rather bland.  I wouldn't want to mix US style lemonade with beer, unless it was a light wheat, then it might be ok...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 02:43:26 pm »
I wouldn't want to mix US style lemonade with beer, unless it was a light wheat, then it might be ok...

I had a guy who thought he was making a shandy hand me an American pale ale mixed with American style lemonade....it was NOT a good thing!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline parkerd21

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 03:41:08 pm »
Shandy, is what alot of younger beer drinkers in England and Australia drink. Although older folks drink it as well. Most often it's a lager or pilsner type beer with "lemonade" which as has been pointed out is similar to Sprite, Sierra Mist, or 7UP. I have found that Sprite is the closest to british lemonade. I would suggest you make a lager or pils and mix it yourself when the beer is ready.

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 04:54:53 pm »
I had a guy who thought he was making a shandy hand me an American pale ale mixed with American style lemonade....it was NOT a good thing!

Urgh, shudders to think...

Shandies are also popular with drivers back home, since it lowers the ABV, and DUI is a big social faux pas back home (unlike here in the fly-over states where it seems to be a lifestyle).  Lets you have a couple and still be "under-the-limit".  Shandy with Bass was also quite common, least thats what my dad drank back then.  Way to ruin a good Bass if you ask me...

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 09:12:15 am »
In Germany (at least in Thüringen where I've spent 2 of the last 3 summers)  a "Radler" is a 50/50 mix of Pils and "Limonade" (which can be either a citrus-flavored sparkling water or just Sprite.)   A lot of the big beer brands have been selling their own premixed Radlers in a bottle, they clock in around 3% ABV.  Or the beer vendors at summer festivals will just mix you a Radler from draft Pils and a bottle of Sprite.  In German a "Fahrrad" or simply a "Rad" is a bicycle; the name Radler comes from the fact that you can have a couple and not fall off your bike.  Farmers in the area where I lived had them at noon on a workday.  I scoffed at them until I spent a couple hours stacking hay bales with a guy in the hot sun; a Radler refreshed me and we went on working.

Sorry this doesn't help much with a specific recipe....

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 11:54:04 am »
Spent much of my childhood overseas. I grew up drinking shandy. In Scotland they would sell it to us kids...LOL I even like the orange shandy.

Now I just take a pale lager like IceHouse and add a splash of limeade made from frozen concentrate. Comes out perfect and it really quenches the thirst.

Summertime drink.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060330154323/http://www.praguepost.com/P03/2005/Art/0707/featu3.php
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Southern62

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 10:52:27 am »
Dug up this old thread....  I discovered radlers in the Caribbean of all places.  Has anyone bottled it as a radler or just mix it at drinking time? 

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 02:14:51 pm »
Dug up this old thread....  I discovered radlers in the Caribbean of all places.  Has anyone bottled it as a radler or just mix it at drinking time? 

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Personally I'd just mix at serving time.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017