Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Added primimg sugar, then bottle capper broke  (Read 1514 times)

Offline tshearer

• 1st Kit
Added primimg sugar, then bottle capper broke
« on: May 07, 2017, 10:31:53 am »
So, brewed a Pliny clone batch.  On Came time to bottle(4/25/17), added the priming sugar, filled a couple growlers and my 1 gal. ManCan.  Started bottling and at the 3rd bottle, my capper broke(should've had a backup).  I live way out in the sticks, nearest brew supply shop is 1.5 hours away.  Amazon delivered on 4/28, I continued bottling that night.

Alas, opened a bottle last night(5/6/17), it was flatter than the Mojave(which is nearby, BTW).  I can't drink it like that.  Looks like the yeast ate all the sugar during the 3 days in wait.

So my question to you'all is:  can I resurrect this beer by adding some yeast and priming sugar, then rebottling?  Or ....  ???

Thanks!

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Added primimg sugar, then bottle capper broke
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 11:36:18 am »
So, brewed a Pliny clone batch.  On Came time to bottle(4/25/17), added the priming sugar, filled a couple growlers and my 1 gal. ManCan.  Started bottling and at the 3rd bottle, my capper broke(should've had a backup).  I live way out in the sticks, nearest brew supply shop is 1.5 hours away.  Amazon delivered on 4/28, I continued bottling that night.

Alas, opened a bottle last night(5/6/17), it was flatter than the Mojave(which is nearby, BTW).  I can't drink it like that.  Looks like the yeast ate all the sugar during the 3 days in wait.

So my question to you'all is:  can I resurrect this beer by adding some yeast and priming sugar, then rebottling?  Or ....  ???

Thanks!

Yes, the yeast most assuredly consumed all of your priming sugar if you added it to the beer. Have you tried any of the earlier containers that were packaged correctly to check for carbonation on those first?

Assuming there is most likely enough yeast in the bottles already, you could easily boil up another portion of priming sugar solution and with a syringe add back some to each bottle and quickly recap them with a fresh bottle cap.

If you are concerned about there not being enough yeast, take a 1/4-1/2 packet of dry ale yeast, rehydrate it in cooled boiled water, then add that back along with priming solution to each bottle and recap them.

Offline tshearer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 10:26:29 pm »
Thanks Brewin, I was thinking of dumping all into my bottling bucket, mix in a small amt of yeast & sugar, then rebottle.

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 11:35:44 pm »
Thanks Brewin, I was thinking of dumping all into my bottling bucket, mix in a small amt of yeast & sugar, then rebottle.
Pouring you beer back into the bucket will oxidize it.  You could add one Domino "Dot" sugar cube to each bottle if available in your area.  Will yield about 2.4 volumes of CO2 in a 12 ounce bottle.  Each Dot is 2.29 grams.