Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My Brew Years Resolution  (Read 9203 times)

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
Re: My Brew Years Resolution
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2017, 12:19:05 pm »
I have a couple things on my list.

1) I have gotten better with my cleaning. I have been guilty several times of leaving my kettle uncleaned and forgeting about it after brewday. So with that aside I will focus on better sanitation. I have had a few slightly off batches that I dont want to continue. Maybe be more careful of airborn contamenants. I brew, transfer, keg and all that in my garage for the most part so being more careful couldnt hurt.

2) Adjusting how and what I brew. I have spent several years now of my brewing taking very serious. I wanted to brew to style, brew all the standard well know styles, dial in my sytem, focus on mash ph and water adjustments, crunch all the numbers... etc. So brewing a little more "for me" will be a nice change of pace. I experiment as it is but I could take that further and go outside the guidlines a bit more and let loose a little. In tbe end, it will still be good beer. Maybe Ill brew some big beers like RIS and Barleywine, Old Ale...etc.

3) Recipe Formulation. This one could probably go right inside number 2, but its a big enough thing for me I will give it its own attention. From early on as a homebrewer I am an ingredient whore. I want to add a little of this, a touch of that. Try this its place...etc. For the most part I can pull it off and make it work for my beers and its not an every batch kind of thing but maybe some well thought out simplicity and de-cluttering is in order. So with the new year I plan on doing some of that.

Offline BrewingBrian

• 1st Kit
  • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC09ji3_vkMFCVkIkY
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2017, 02:18:39 pm »
BrewBama that's definitely an interesting point you make in that more ingredients does not necessarily equate to more sophisticated beers. I will keep this in mind as I switch from being completely reliant on kits to making my own recipes. This actually is my Brew years resolution, to stop buying kits and start brewing from ingredients I put together. ::) Maybe even start doing a partial mash! (prob getting ahead of myself  :P)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2017, 05:25:33 pm »
BrewBama that's definitely an interesting point you make in that more ingredients does not necessarily equate to more sophisticated beers. I will keep this in mind as I switch from being completely reliant on kits to making my own recipes. This actually is my Brew years resolution, to stop buying kits and start brewing from ingredients I put together. ::) Maybe even start doing a partial mash! (prob getting ahead of myself  :P)
Go to YouTube and search "brewing on the ones"

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2017, 06:46:39 pm »
There was a Zymurgy article of the same name.   Implementing the changes Drew suggested led to a huge improvement in my beer.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2017, 10:14:44 pm »
My resolution is to get some 1.5-1.75 gallon kegs and start brewing smaller batches. I have no problem dumping beer, but I think I'd feel better brewing smaller batches of test recipes and other styles that I tend to get short term cravings for.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2017, 07:37:38 pm »
I'm working on paring down my yeast bank so that I'm brewing with a smaller number of yeast strains on a regular basis, to keep the cultures fresh.  I'm trying to map out my annual brewing schedule in such a way that I'm using each strain at least once per quarter.  If it's going to be longer than that, I need to build an intermediate starter just for yeast maintenance.  I've been playing around with a lot of beer styles for the last couple years, so it's time to focus on the ones I really like and keep the appropriate strains around.

Also, I'm looking forward to trying some of the new dry yeast options coming onto the market. 

Offline BrewingBrian

• 1st Kit
  • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC09ji3_vkMFCVkIkY
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2017, 03:12:23 pm »

Good video, thanks for recommending! The SMaSH philosophy will help next time I enter a home brew store!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2017, 03:34:41 pm »

Good video, thanks for recommending! The SMaSH philosophy will help next time I enter a home brew store!
Thanks belongs to Drew

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2017, 11:22:22 pm »
Thanks belongs to Drew

Thanks really belong to my engineering professors and culinary instructors who I finally paid attention to. :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline pencilneckgeek

• 1st Kit
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2017, 03:11:56 am »
My resolution is to actually get started in this great hobby! I've just started a brew of Oktoberfest in a Mr. Beer kit I got for my birthday (I know, I know...) and will soon graduate to a 5 gallon bucket fermenter where I'll try an extract kit for Scottish Ale.

There is so much to learn but the community has been great and I know I'm in the right place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline thundershred

• 1st Kit
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2017, 11:34:32 am »
Just returned to the hobby.  First thing is to start taking care of everything I wanted to do nine years ago - new mash tun (10-gal) [done], stainless full-port valve and bulkhead on the brew kettle [done], thermometer additions [coming], thermometer construction post-counterflow [next week], and new design for hopback [farther down the road].

I brewed my first beer in eight-ish years in December.  My next is already planned to be the tripel I always wanted.

At this rate, I'll be making and fulfilling resolutions monthly.  Future projects will be to make a brew stand, add a pump, work on recirculation, add a whirlpool, add quick disconnects, and venture toward automation.

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2017, 04:51:39 pm »
Just returned to the hobby.  First thing is to start taking care of everything I wanted to do nine years ago - new mash tun (10-gal) [done], stainless full-port valve and bulkhead on the brew kettle [done], thermometer additions [coming], thermometer construction post-counterflow [next week], and new design for hopback [farther down the road].

I brewed my first beer in eight-ish years in December.  My next is already planned to be the tripel I always wanted.

At this rate, I'll be making and fulfilling resolutions monthly.  Future projects will be to make a brew stand, add a pump, work on recirculation, add a whirlpool, add quick disconnects, and venture toward automation.

I would recommend picking up some WY3787 Trappist High Gravity yeast for your tripel.  Brew the Patersbier from Northern Brewer first to grow up a big pitch of yeast, then go for the tripel.  I've had success with that in the past.  Welcome back to the hobby!

Offline thundershred

• 1st Kit
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2017, 11:44:17 am »
I would recommend picking up some WY3787 Trappist High Gravity yeast for your tripel.  Brew the Patersbier from Northern Brewer first to grow up a big pitch of yeast, then go for the tripel.  I've had success with that in the past.  Welcome back to the hobby!

Thank you for that recommendation.  I do in fact have 3787 in my refrigerator.