Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Imperial Yeast A24 Dry Hop?  (Read 5069 times)

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
    • My new Brewing Website - Totally Brewed Co
Imperial Yeast A24 Dry Hop?
« on: January 17, 2017, 08:13:26 pm »
Has anyone used Imperial Yeast A24 Dry Hop ? This is from their website "Dry Hop is a blend of A20 Citrus and A04 Barbarian.  When this blend goes to work on your hoppy beer, the hop aroma blows up.  The combination of these strains produces amazing aromas of citrus, peach and apricot that will accentuate your IPA, pale ale, and any other hop driven beer.

Temp: 64-74F, 18-23C // Flocculation: medium // Attenuation: 74-78%"

thinking of trying it with an ipa

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Imperial Yeast A24 Dry Hop?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 05:58:13 am »
I haven't tried it, but I'd be interested to know how it turns out for you.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 07:43:03 am »
it is expensive but seems like something to try

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 08:05:30 am »

I have not tried that strain but I do like Imperial so far. It is expensive but apparently has twice as many cells as white labs or wyeast. The $3 extra that it costs for me is worth it for not having to worry about a starter for the beers that I brew.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 08:31:09 am »
It sounds like a blend of a moderate English yeast and WLP644 Sacch Trois.

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 09:04:49 am »

I have not tried that strain but I do like Imperial so far. It is expensive but apparently has twice as many cells as white labs or wyeast. The $3 extra that it costs for me is worth it for not having to worry about a starter for the beers that I brew.

just out of curiosity, what else from imperial have you tried?

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 10:43:10 am »

So far just Dieter and Napoleon. I mostly use dry yeast but when I use liquid, I will probably go with Imperial for a while at least.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline golfgod04

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 12:46:00 pm »
thanks!

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 11:52:10 am »

I know this wasn't directed at me, but my lhbs carries Imperial so I have been using it a lot, coupled with my resolution to branch out on trying new yeasts, I have some experience with them.

I've used their fullers train, tartan, rustic and wit yeast. I've like them all. The fullers train was a pin to get out of the can because its so flocculent and it the consistency of clay when it settles, but I was happy with it. It tastes like wyeast/wl fullers srtain to me.

The tartan is their Scottish yeast strain, and I really really like it. I used it in an Old Rasputin clone that I've made many times, and this was my favorite iteration of it.

The rustic is the Blaugies strain, and there is a fair amount if info out there on it, but it is now my go to saison yeast, and I make a fair amount of saison.

The wit yeast throws a fair bt of acid, which I like but some might find it a bit much.

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 12:58:46 am »

I have used their version of the Fullers strain, Barbarian (Conan), Cable Car (the Anchor Steam strain), Joystick (Rogue Pacman), and Gateway lager.  I have had excellent results with all of them.  I just purchased a can of Urkel (Pilsner Urquell) for a lager I'm brewing next weekend.  For normal gravity lagers I don't bother with a starter, and have had no problems at all with lag or attenuation.  I do make sure that I have a fresh can; fortunately I am in the Portland area, and have always been able to pick up cans that are no more than 3 weeks old.