Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I offer this for open ridicule ....  (Read 6279 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)

Big Monk

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
Re: I offer this for open ridicule ....
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 07:12:49 am »
I think it looks suspiciously like an example of the "being lazy is a good thing" mentality that seems to permeate our society.  How many times have I heard someone say "I would do that thing, but it requires effort." 

I understand that this hobby (along with most) aren't for everyone, but how many people just do nothing (sitting on the couch playing candy crush or killing brain cells with TV don't count as something)?

Also, the beer choices listed speak volumes.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 07:15:52 am »
Seems like your typical modern opinion piece, he doesn't know anyone who homebrews.... and so that makes him an authority on the subject. Brilliant

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 07:28:30 am »
I think it looks suspiciously like an example of the "being lazy is a good thing" mentality that seems to permeate our society.  How many times have I heard someone say "I would do that thing, but it requires effort." 

I understand that this hobby (along with most) aren't for everyone, but how many people just do nothing (sitting on the couch playing candy crush or killing brain cells with TV don't count as something)?

Also, the beer choices listed speak volumes.

Seems like your typical modern opinion piece, he doesn't know anyone who homebrews.... and so that makes him an authority on the subject. Brilliant

Yeah, you guys nailed it. Lazy idiot + no knowledge = this article.

Jon H.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 07:43:24 am »
Yesterday I made baguettes with water, salt, yeast, and flour only to slice one and top it with pizza sauce, Pepperoni, and cheese served along side another baguette I made that I stuffed with salami ham and cheese. Later I made home brew Chocolate Milk Stout-Candied Bacon. I could have easily called Dominos or jumped in the car and handed the grocery store my credit card. ...but I like making stuff myself. Guys like this don't. That's cool. I got a laugh out of his post which is what he was going for I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Beerery

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 07:44:31 am »
Heh, of course I play devils advocate.
If I lived in say Germany, or had access to really fresh examples consistently I would not brew. It's all I brew for myself, and strive to have the same taste/quality of it. It would be wicked easy(and if anyone has ever seen beer prices in Germany wicked cheap), to go literally anywhere and get awesome beer. It would be a no brainer for me. Hell I could probably survive here off my occasional fresh examples, and Coors banquet, (love that stuff) if I tried hard enough. I tell people this all the time, I only brew to vill a void.. When/if that void is filled, see ya bye!

Big Monk

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 08:00:05 am »
If I lived in say Germany, or had access to really fresh examples consistently I would not brew. It's all I brew for myself, and strive to have the same taste/quality of it. It would be wicked easy(and if anyone has ever seen beer prices in Germany wicked cheap), to go literally anywhere and get awesome beer. It would be a no brainer for me. Hell I could probably survive here off my occasional fresh examples, and Coors banquet, (love that stuff) if I tried hard enough. I tell people this all the time, I only brew to vill a void.. When/if that void is filled, see ya bye!

While I still maintain the author of the article is a moron, I have to agree with Bryan here.

The number one reason I brew is that I am trying to brew beers that have the monastic flavor profile I prefer. Not exact copies, but same profile and spirit.

If I had my way I'd drink nothing but all four of the Chimay beers exclusively and not brew. That could get very costly of course, so I brew in an attempt to satisfy the taste I desire without the burden of $6 bottles.

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 08:07:15 am »
Though I do enjoy the process, I suspect that if I could get 3.5-4% malt forward to balanced styles for a reasonable price, my motivation would be much lower.  But...that isn't going to happen, at least not in this market.
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 08:20:19 am »
I brew because I need a hobby, I'm good at it, and i don't spend money on sixpacks.

One thing he got right is the Pico is stupid expensive Without the ability to add your own ingredients ( without ordering from them ) I would never consider one.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 08:27:42 am »

While I still maintain the author of the article is a moron, I have to agree with Bryan here.

The number one reason I brew is that I am trying to brew beers that have the monastic flavor profile I prefer. Not exact copies, but same profile and spirit.

If I had my way I'd drink nothing but all four of the Chimay beers exclusively and not brew. That could get very costly of course, so I brew in an attempt to satisfy the taste I desire without the burden of $6 bottles.
I think you guys have been sniffing too much oxygen. ;)
Dan Chisholm

Big Monk

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 08:32:28 am »

I think you guys have been sniffing too much oxygen. ;)

I think for that joke to stick conceptually you'd have to say we were oxygen deprived!

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 08:33:29 am »
I enjoy brewing as a hobby not just as a means to make the beer I drink.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 08:56:33 am »
I generally don't take any advice from a guy who drinks Vanilla Cream Ale or Cookie Dough Ale.  However, I do agree with his disgust for the Leinenkugel’s Bavarian Dunkel.  Not great.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.