Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I offer this for open ridicule ....  (Read 6306 times)

Offline Todd H.

• Cellarman
Re: I offer this for open ridicule ....
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 08:23:41 am »
Sorry to disagree with everyone, but that article was pretty funny.  "Keurig is the kind of company that could f##k up a cheese sandwich, so let’s not get our hopes up about that device."  "Even Kanye had Yeezus, you know? Peppermint Victory at Sea is very Yeezus to me. But I’m still looking forward to the release of their Life of Pablo."
I liked it.  Thanks for posting.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2017, 02:11:32 pm »
Dont think I have much to add. I agree with all who said they brew as they like the process. I still buy beer on occasion, but love the hobby itself as much as the end result. Cheers to us in that small 1% hobby, we know how lucky we are
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2017, 09:44:45 pm »
I wonder if the guy cooks?  After all, you can go to a restaurant and get whatever you want to eat.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2017, 05:37:27 am »
Dilbert has a category for this type of thing.  "Everyone is somebody else's weirdo."

I did get the feeling he was being contrarian intentionally.  Probably going for humor.

I don't look for others to enjoy my hobby so I can.  It's mine and it doesn't matter if anyone else likes it as much as do.

Thanks for the morning chuckle.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2017, 08:05:18 am »
I wonder if the guy cooks?  After all, you can go to a restaurant and get whatever you want to eat.
There's McDonald's, so why would he waste time cooking?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2017, 08:10:10 am »
A wood worker asked me why I spent time and money on Homebrewing. I laughed and laughed, and said you can go out and buy furniture. This guy does make some very nice pieces of furniture and cabinets. He has spent multiples of what I have spent on my whole brewing system on one piece of equipment.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2017, 08:13:47 am »

Good analogy.
Jon H.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2017, 08:15:03 am »

I'm in this camp.  I enjoy crafting my own stuff - making my own meals, growing herbs and vegetables, making my own beer, etc.  I don't necessarily do it because its cheaper or better, I simply enjoy the process.  There's some reward in that itself - homemade/homegrown.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2017, 08:27:12 am »
A wood worker asked me why I spent time and money on Homebrewing. I laughed and laughed, and said you can go out and buy furniture. This guy does make some very nice pieces of furniture and cabinets. He has spent multiples of what I have spent on my whole brewing system on one piece of equipment.

You're exactly right about the difference in costs.  I do both and spend a whole lot more on tools for wood than for beer.  8^)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

narvin

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2017, 08:34:22 am »
I think the article was meant to be a joke.  Look at the "good" beers he mentioned.

If only.  I think we're going to start seeing some very different opinions on good beer, and consumption habits in general.  There are always generational shifts but the coming one is going to be huge, imo.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2017, 09:36:55 am »
It's the kind of article I imagine is written just to get people stirred up and sharing the beer but I dunno, maybe he just really likes sweet beers.

I agree about the Pico and the Pico packs or whatever they are called. I don't personally see the value in buying a prepared package of ingredients that will supposedly clone a beer at a huge premium. For me the purposes of cloning a commercial beer including making a beer you like cheaply, testing the quality of your brewing against a standard and brewing a beer you like to do something different to it (e.g. hopping differently, adding fruit). None of those really apply to those Pico packs. I wouldn't hate on people for buying them I just don't personally see the point.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2017, 10:06:18 am »
Dont think I have much to add. I agree with all who said they brew as they like the process. I still buy beer on occasion, but love the hobby itself as much as the end result. Cheers to us in that small 1% hobby, we know how lucky we are

Doesn't 1% add up to well over 3,000,000 people?
An audience of over 3,000,000 on the C W would be a hit show.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Bilsch

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2017, 04:31:44 pm »
When/if that void is filled, see ya bye!

For the cost of your brewery Bryan.. you could have spent a good long time in Germany. ;)

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2017, 05:26:16 pm »
   Oh man! I could buy a complete, new, turnkey 3 barrel brewhouse with 3 or 4 fermenters for less than it would take to replace all my non-beer making tools. And that's not bragging, it's just the way it is if you're into tools, and it is the result of an entire life busting my butt looking for deals on stuff I need and want. Most of the other guys I know who are tool junkies have shops that make mine look Neolithic by comparison.
    I guess that may be why I always am perplexed by the folks on this forum who fret excessively about spending a few bucks on equipment upgrades. I suspect that may be the lingering effect of the hyper frugality of Dave Line, Mr. Papazian and the other folks who did so much to bring this activity out of the shadows. I've never had a fat checkbook, but I learned the hard way, a very long time ago that cheap tools are no bargain.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2017, 09:19:38 am »
   Oh man! I could buy a complete, new, turnkey 3 barrel brewhouse with 3 or 4 fermenters for less than it would take to replace all my non-beer making tools. And that's not bragging, it's just the way it is if you're into tools, and it is the result of an entire life busting my butt looking for deals on stuff I need and want. Most of the other guys I know who are tool junkies have shops that make mine look Neolithic by comparison.
    I guess that may be why I always am perplexed by the folks on this forum who fret excessively about spending a few bucks on equipment upgrades. I suspect that may be the lingering effect of the hyper frugality of Dave Line, Mr. Papazian and the other folks who did so much to bring this activity out of the shadows. I've never had a fat checkbook, but I learned the hard way, a very long time ago that cheap tools are no bargain.
I could have mentioned my friend who is a serious bike rider, and has multiple high dollar road and mountain bikes, so he can select the right one for the course. His "tools" are expensive too.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!