Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Honing Your Skills  (Read 5579 times)

Offline lizaambler

• Cellarman
Re: Honing Your Skills
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 01:03:25 pm »
I've been batch sparging because I thought that was better than fly sparging for AG beginners. A guy at work just gave me a wooden square rod that's marked in inches, and I suppose that if I wanted to get really picky, I could mark off eighths of an inch.

I also like the idea of finding a simple recipe I like and brewing it over and over again. Should I try advanced techniques like decoction mashing or fly sparging while I do that? After I get my brewhouse efficiency all set for a single infusion and a batch sparge, that is.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 01:20:03 pm »
I agree with Denny.  What I did when I started brewing all grain was to make several batches of one style of beer to zero in both my process (in all respects - volumes, times, ingredients preferred, etc...) and my palate for the style (trying commercial beers when I could find reliable ones).  Then I took a class for the BJCP exam (some folks bash the BJCP, but for getting intentional about your tasting, it is a great way to proceed, even if you don't go through the BJCP testing for rank purposes).  In the end, getting the result you expect in terms of gravity, volume and flavor is a matter of repetition.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 01:45:19 pm »
I've been batch sparging because I thought that was better than fly sparging for AG beginners. A guy at work just gave me a wooden square rod that's marked in inches, and I suppose that if I wanted to get really picky, I could mark off eighths of an inch.

I also like the idea of finding a simple recipe I like and brewing it over and over again. Should I try advanced techniques like decoction mashing or fly sparging while I do that? After I get my brewhouse efficiency all set for a single infusion and a batch sparge, that is.

Fly sparging is not an advanced technique...IMO, exactly the opposite.  Decoction mashing is pretty much a lot of effort for no appreciable benefit to your beer.  If you decide you want to try it, get the basics down first.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 10:03:22 pm »
IMO I wouldn't look for a smash beer.  Maybe you could try picking out a beer from BCS (Irish ale, etc. ) and brew with an easier recipe to nail down your process.  From your OG you're interested in improving your process right? not experimenting with diff hops/malts. 

You stated you batch sparge and are running a third sparge? This is not necessary, just follow dennys method and you're golden. 

I agree with most of the measurement tools.  Yard stick I've never thought to use, that's a good one. 

My volumes sometimes change depending on style. IPA/APA vs say a kölsch.  You'll lose more wort to the hop additions so you will need to have a greater preboil vol. 

Just my 2¢ hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 10:05:37 pm »
All of these techniques are a means to an end.  That end is repeatability/predictability. 

Most AG brewers, myself included, took a while before we knew exactly where our beer will "land".
Hitting things like mash temps, mash efficiency, boil starting and ending volume, etc, all tend to be somewhat wild at first.  Getting them to a small std. deviation is a sign that you have control over your process.  Making beer stops being a crap shoot and turns into a game of how accurate you can brew to target.

At that point, you'll be able to brew any recipe and deliberately nail it or at worst come really close.
And that's when you can then move on to dreaming up your own recipes and brewing and hitting them on demand, which IMO is where the fun really begins.  I LOVE dreaming up a beer, designing a recipe to hit that profile, and then brewing a beer that tastes, looks, smells, and feels exactly like how I imagined it would.

HTH-
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 01:10:19 am »
Also be aware of all the different opinions when it comes to home brewing.  There are a multitude of techniques and just as many opinions on which is the right one. Pick a style of beer you like, keep the grain bill and hops simple. Get to know your system and make small adjustments with each batch, your efficiency will get better. Always take notes this will help with your adjustments. Purchase good tools. Having the right tools for the job will make things easier and less frustrating. Its just like anything else in life, it takes time, be patient.
Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline lizaambler

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2017, 03:45:37 am »
Improving my process is EXACTLY what I want to do, with the ultimate goal being predictability. Right now my brewing IS a crap shoot. I've been lucky. Actually, my husband says he's glad to brew a simple beer, so I'm going to pick one from BCS and go from there. Of course he's banned me from brewing talk for a little while!

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 05:01:26 am »
Last year I decided to focus on 4 styles, until I was happy with a recipe I could consider a house base recipe for that style.  I am happy with 3 of those, so will continue with the one I'm not happy with, and add a couple of other styles to my brewing.  Having this narrow focus has definitely helped improve my brewing, and understanding of ingredients.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

coastsidemike

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 09:35:14 am »
Improving my process is EXACTLY what I want to do, with the ultimate goal being predictability. Right now my brewing IS a crap shoot. I've been lucky. Actually, my husband says he's glad to brew a simple beer, so I'm going to pick one from BCS and go from there. Of course he's banned me from brewing talk for a little while!

If you don't have your water chemistry down yet, a good style to start with is a Porter or Stout, as it's a little more forgiving and can still taste great.  You mention doing a Stout already; I personally would try a Pale Ale with an extra step for whirlpool or flame-out additions (i.e., give it 20-30 min when the temp is in the area of 140-170); the added hop flavor will stand out.  Additionally, it's good to take notes regarding fermenting (temps & gravity) and bottling.

I'll second the John Palmer writings, good stuff.

Online reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 09:46:47 am »

If predictability and improved process are the goals then you definitely need to do what Denny said. Pick a recipe in a style you like and brew it over and over. That will give you the best opportunity to pick apart every detail and get it right and get it right consistently. If it gets boring you can always take some of each batch and play with post-fermentation additions (fruit, spices, dry hopping, wood) and maybe find some new things you like.

Most homebrewers, myself included, have a tendency to want to constantly move on to something new every batch. It's a lot more fun but you'll have more bad batches and learn less to improve your process that way.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

coastsidemike

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2017, 10:33:58 am »

If predictability and improved process are the goals then you definitely need to do what Denny said. Pick a recipe in a style you like and brew it over and over. That will give you the best opportunity to pick apart every detail and get it right and get it right consistently. If it gets boring you can always take some of each batch and play with post-fermentation additions (fruit, spices, dry hopping, wood) and maybe find some new things you like.

Most homebrewers, myself included, have a tendency to want to constantly move on to something new every batch. It's a lot more fun but you'll have more bad batches and learn less to improve your process that way.

It is a good idea to brew the same style over and over, however in practice having gallons and gallons of the same beer (that might not be that great) gets old quick.  Maybe 4-5 styles and rotate through them?  Bad batches can be more about sanitation than anything else.   As you say, it is a lot more fun to try something new, and having fun is kinda a good theme to stick to. 

Hypocritically, I mostly brew IPAs and focus on getting that right, but exploring a lot of different styles was important early on.

coastsidemike

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2017, 11:45:41 am »
I'd like to additionally say that understanding process and process improvement may not be about style repetition, but more about repetition and study around equipment & ingredient staging, instrumentation, setup, cleanup, and the entire 2-6 week process.  The recipe itself is one part of that, and yes, consistency helps.  I suggest targeting beers in the 5%-6% abv range (avoiding anything that might come out syrupy or estery) and to go ahead and play with things like mash temps and boil rates. 

Every system is going to be a bit different, and by varying the process (while recording the data to go with it), it is really going to help in nailing down system characteristics.  IMO, trying new things and seeing how it turns out is part of what makes the process of homebrewing fun.

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 06:51:38 pm »
It's amazing...the original post was a simple question about honing one's skills at the basic level. Keep it simple, SMASH brews to get your process down, and other things to help get along the way of all grain. Poor guy is wanting to learn how to walk, and you guys are throwing decoction mashing, fly sparging, and water chemistry, all things you do when you are ready to run. He's still at the point of figuring out water volumes.

I wonder how many people start out homebrewing, and then give it up because it is too much information too fast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
Honing Your Skills
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2017, 07:04:50 pm »
I also heeded Denny's advice and  started taking my beer to the next level a few years ago because of it.  Thanks Denny.  Find a style you can drink a lot of and brew it over and over.  Measure and record volumes religiously.  I measured volumes using a gallon pitcher and scratched lines on the inside of my kettles instead of using a yard stick.  Used sharpie on the outside of my carboys.  You don't need to do SMaSH but the spirit of that advice is wise.  Keep recipes simple.  Look up Drew Beechum's Brewing on the One's.

EDIT:  as a side note, at first I focused on cleaning, sanitation (not the same as cleaning), pitching active yeast, and controlling fermentation temps.  If you are refining all-grain processes you may be past that.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 10:36:42 pm by bboy9000 »
Brian
mobrewer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 12:40:59 pm »
It's amazing...the original post was a simple question about honing one's skills at the basic level. Keep it simple, SMASH brews to get your process down, and other things to help get along the way of all grain. Poor guy is wanting to learn how to walk, and you guys are throwing decoction mashing, fly sparging, and water chemistry, all things you do when you are ready to run. He's still at the point of figuring out water volumes.

I wonder how many people start out homebrewing, and then give it up because it is too much information too fast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

THIS^^^^homebrewers can be so enthusiastic that they overwhelm new brewers in an attempt to help.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell