Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Red X pH  (Read 6738 times)

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Red X pH
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2017, 09:37:17 am »
Slightly off topic but here is a wheat beer with 12% carared

How'd that 12% Carared work out in that beer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Beerery

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2017, 09:59:10 am »
Slightly off topic but here is a wheat beer with 12% carared

How'd that 12% Carared work out in that beer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delicious.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2017, 08:13:13 pm »
Here's a Red IPA I made with 11.7% Sacchra 50 and 1.7% Carastan.  I posted the recipe at:  https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=18036.1560

FWIW, the 1.6%AA centennial hops were fresh frozen (vac sealed).

Everyone who's tried it really likes it,including me.  Both beers I've made with Sacchra 50 ( https://shop.brewcraftusa.com/en/new-from-great-western-malting/grain-gwm-sacchra-50-10-lb-4-536-kg-bag-gw-sacchra-10-1 ) have been good, although only this Red IPA did I use enough to get the red color.

As stated in the literature it's true that it does not end up too sweet, does let the malt and hops shine through, and gave the roundness/mouth feel/body that suits the style guidelines.

Try it, you'll like it!

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 08:49:06 pm by brewsumore »

Offline SWSommer

• Cellarman
  • Chemical Engineer with a new hobby (since 2016)
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2017, 12:30:36 pm »
I have not liked either of the two beers I've made with Red X even though I have liked commercial beers with large amounts in the grist. I finally jumped aboard the pH meter bandwagon and tested my batch of Red X and it came in at 5.17 or so. Fudging the color in Bru'n water tells me that my mash pH was 4.95 for one and 5.1 for the other. Could certainly explain why the beers were awful.

So I'm going to need to try another Red X based beer very soon.

Anybody else notice this?

I just brewed a 100% Red X single malt American Strong Ale last night.  My water profile is such that I have to add only a 1/2 tsp of gypsum to get a "perfect" water profile for this style.  My water pH was 7.5, and pre-boil, I had a pH = 5.6.  I have tasted the Red X malt straight from the bag and it does not taste acidic or tart.  It tastes like warm baked biscuits, malty, and sweet.  From what others have posted, I have noticed that if the starting brew water pH was <6.5, there were issues with the final beer taste.  I tasted my wort after cold-crashing but before pitching yeast, and it tasted pretty damn good.  Can't wait to taste the final product. 
Scott S.
Fermenting: Special American Pale Ale, Rebel IPA Clone
Conditioning: Personal Recipe American Strong Ale
In Bottles: Red X Single Malt Strong Ale, Dry Irish Stout, Arrogant Bastard Clone
In the works:  Personal Recipe Porter, Personal Recipe American Amber Ale

Offline SWSommer

• Cellarman
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2017, 12:34:55 pm »

It was $95 on Amazon, but was as low as $75 before the new year. The Extech 100 costs less, but Bryan mentioned he liked the refillable probe.

I was a little hesitant to buy a stick style out of fear that the probes may be discontinued, but I felt a larger table top unit would be a hassle for me as I don't have much of a workspace when brewing. I wish it had a backlight, but many don't from what I have seen.

I bought a Jellas pocket-sized meter on Amazon for $15 and it has been working beautifully for over 6 months.  Still gives an accurate pH reading on bottled water and seems to have been an excellent investment.  pH strips just are hard to use with wort, especially dark beers.
Scott S.
In Bottles: Red X Single Malt Strong Ale, Dry Irish Stout, Arrogant Bastard Clone

Offline SWSommer

• Cellarman
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2017, 12:38:20 pm »
Distilled was 5.17
Wow :o

Edit - have you chewed on some? Does it taste sour or tart?
Nope. Bag is zip tied shut right now, so not easily opened.

I ate a handful uncrushed and another crushed. No acid taste.  No tanginess.  Tasted like a malty warm baked biscuit.  I get pH's around 5.6 using 100% Red X.  I have great tap water, balanced chlorine and sulfates, no microbes, and a tap pH of 7.5.  I think the water makes the difference;  Red X is not that acidic.
Scott S.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2017, 12:56:32 pm »
The pH tests on my sack say otherwise. Maybe they have improved their process.