Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water salts for Mead  (Read 2461 times)

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
Water salts for Mead
« on: December 28, 2016, 09:08:04 am »
Gonna start a tradition every new years day of making a mead to age for a year to have at new years parties.

I have recently been looking at water additions for my beers and I was wondering what type of salt additions would I use for orange blossom mead made with RO water?

Are there any resources out there for this?

Thanks!

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
Water salts for Mead
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 05:20:40 pm »
Honestly, you simply want some alkalinity in the water to help buffer acid produced by the yeast and the acidity of the honey. Beyond that, it's preference.

I don't care much for hard water in mine, so when I use RO, I just add 8 grams of gypsum and calcium chloride, and about 5 grams of potassium bicarbonate for a buffer. That's for 5 gallons total batch size.

Of late, I have gone back to cheap spring water from the grocery. It's convenient, pre measured, and I can reuse the container.

Many of the mead masters will just use good tap water treated with campden tabs. Of course, most have access to moderate alkaline waters (120-160 ppm alkalinity).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
Re: Water salts for Mead
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 08:14:55 pm »
Honestly, you simply want some alkalinity in the water to help buffer acid produced by the yeast and the acidity of the honey. Beyond that, it's preference.

I don't care much for hard water in mine, so when I use RO, I just add 8 grams of gypsum and calcium chloride, and about 5 grams of potassium bicarbonate for a buffer. That's for 5 gallons total batch size.

Of late, I have gone back to cheap spring water from the grocery. It's convenient, pre measured, and I can reuse the container.

Many of the mead masters will just use good tap water treated with campden tabs. Of course, most have access to moderate alkaline waters (120-160 ppm alkalinity).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome. Thanks for your advice!