Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Starch Convertion  (Read 4059 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: Starch Convertion
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 02:03:48 pm »
Many Belgian brewers use the 70-72 rest, so it's very likely it's in De Clerck 1957.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

The Beerery

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 02:08:33 pm »
Many Belgian brewers use the 70-72 rest, so it's very likely it's in De Clerck 1957.
It is. It's in nearly every professional brewing text. 😉

Big Monk

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 02:14:12 pm »

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 02:24:27 pm »
A wiseguy is now going to say: if you can drop the 50C rest, why not the 70C ;)
Frank P.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 02:26:06 pm »
Does your 20 minute mash beer do that? Did it finish at 1.008, and have the appropriate body and head retention with no dextrine malts? I don't think a single infusion, pils only, low hopped beer is going to do this. But I could be wrong. Standard 20/30/10 mash here.

My point was actually in favor of your short mashing, even outside of the optimal beta temp, beta activity will peak at 20 minutes then quickly fall off.
For instance for me to hit 1.008-9 on an all malt beer all I need is roughly 25 minutes at 62c, but for my pilsners to get to 1.006 I need 60 minutes.

It finished at 1.009 from 1.053 which is appropriate for the beer I was making.  It has appropriate body and head retention.  I used about 10% Sacchra 50 since it was appropriate for the beer I was making.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

The Beerery

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 02:32:59 pm »
Does your 20 minute mash beer do that? Did it finish at 1.008, and have the appropriate body and head retention with no dextrine malts? I don't think a single infusion, pils only, low hopped beer is going to do this. But I could be wrong. Standard 20/30/10 mash here.

My point was actually in favor of your short mashing, even outside of the optimal beta temp, beta activity will peak at 20 minutes then quickly fall off.
For instance for me to hit 1.008-9 on an all malt beer all I need is roughly 25 minutes at 62c, but for my pilsners to get to 1.006 I need 60 minutes.

It finished at 1.009 from 1.053 which is appropriate for the beer I was making.  It has appropriate body and head retention.  I used about 10% Sacchra 50 since it was appropriate for the beer I was making.

Have a picture of it poured and finished?

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2017, 02:40:19 pm »

Nope.  Just kegged it yesterday...and truthfully, I seldom take pics of beer.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 02:44:04 pm »
I'm not saying you do it all the time, Denny, but 90 percent of all homebrewing arguments I read on many forums amount to "my method is good because the beer I make is good. End of discussion for me." Scientific research has shown that this line of reasoning started with the old Egyptians who drank beer through a straw because they didn't filter.  It is as yet unclear when and how this method changed ;)
Frank P.

The Beerery

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 02:47:00 pm »

Kegged yesterday and it already has the appropriate head retention.. Awesome thats rockin!

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 02:48:18 pm »
I'm not saying you do it all the time, Denny, but 90 percent of all homebrewing arguments I read on many forums amount to "my method is good because the beer I make is good. End of discussion for me." Scientific research has shown that this line of reasoning started with the old Egyptians who drank beer through a straw because they didn't filter.  It is as yet unclear when and how this method changed ;)

But isn't that the object?  To make good beer?  I hope that due to my experience I have some credibility when it comes to knowing what good beer is.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2017, 03:11:07 pm »
I protest vehemently. You are an Object of Reverence and Reference. I have your Books. I listen to your Podcasts (although I have to admit I skip the ukulele part). I brew your Recipes. But your argument boils down to a decision on return on investment. And that is different for each person, I assume.
Frank P.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2017, 03:24:48 pm »
...boils down to a decision on return on investment. And that is different for each person, I assume.

Bingo. Brew however you enjoy. Have a blast doing decoctions? Go for it. Love the science and geekery of matching a commercial brewery? Go for it. Love making simple extract IPAs? Same thing.

I still haven't brewed LODO, though I'm moving that way. I enjoy the technical details, that's fun to me, and others. But I see the process as a means to an end...a tool to be used differently depending on the outcome that you seek...some beers likely shouldn't be LODO. (some old British styles come to mind, and from the sound of it possibly Vienna lagers.)
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 03:42:14 pm »
For me that's not, as colonel Landa would say it, a bingo. It is my ambition for my next beer to be better than my previous, and I still have the impression that I have an order of magnitude to go.
Frank P.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2017, 06:28:07 pm »

Kegged yesterday and it already has the appropriate head retention.. Awesome thats rockin!

I tested a sample bottle I carbed.  The entire batch isn't carbed yet.  I'm hoping it looks the same

www.dennybrew.com

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2017, 06:42:42 pm »
I do a 60min mash, period.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk