Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First lager yeast help  (Read 1471 times)

Offline ANDREW.GROGAN1

• Assistant Brewer
First lager yeast help
« on: January 20, 2017, 08:05:21 am »
Planning to brew my first lager next week and was looking for advice.  It’s 5.25 gallons of 1.051 Vienna lager.  I am using Saflager 34/70.  Trying to figure out if I want to make a starter or just pitch multiple packets.  According to Brewsmith, I need roughly 450 billion cells.  I am not sure the exact cell count of saflager but I am thinking that’s about 5 packets.  Not sure I can make a proper starter as all I have is a 2L flask. 

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Offline brewcrew7

• Cellarman
Re: First lager yeast help
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 08:23:29 am »
For starters, you can always make a smaller batch, say 1-3 gallons. Pitch a single packet and ferment in your standard primary fermenter. When that is done, you have enough yeast for another 5+ gallons of lager. Or, you could make your proposed volume of wort and put 3-4 gallons aside (sanitation is key) and pitch your yeast on the remaining 1-2 gallons. Once your yeast are active, add the remaining wort and ferment to completion. I've done this small starter batch of beer for a number of years now with a fair amount of success. I used flasks with stirplates for starters before but find more value in these simpler methods.

Offline Todd H.

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 10:35:39 am »
Call me crazy, but I'd just pitch one rehydrated packet.  Then again, I ferment this strain at 18C.
I thought the average person just pitched two packets of 34/70.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 10:52:01 am »
2 packets would be the standard advice I think. I believe it is not recommended to make starters with dry yeast. Just pitch more packets when needed.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 11:09:46 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 11:16:14 am »
According to brewer's friend you'd need about 3 1/2 packs.
My last vienna was three gallons at 1.048. I dry pitched 2 packs, which was a bit more than I supposedly needed, but I don't want the hassle of trying to save partial packs, and had signs of fermentation 20 hours later.
I bet three fresh packs would do the job.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 11:32:48 am »
2 packets would be the standard advice I think. I believe it is not recommended to make starters with dry yeast. Just pitch more packets when needed.
+1